OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6.5 plug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.5 plug
    Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:29
in my latest issue of rifleshooter, i was pleasantly surprised to see that craig boddington took some time to praise the 6.5mm family, one that hasnt ever done real well in the usa, like craig, i cannot understand why, the s.d and b.c of .264 bullets alone is eye catching, light recoil big performance what more could you want? 6.5x55 swede .260 and .264 have done ok, the 6.5x.284 is starting to become popular with the target crowd and the new 6.5 creedmoor is making its presence know with the black rifle fellars, right now remington and ruger are the only big boys that make rifles in the .264 win, and thats a shame, even more so the 6.5 rem mag one of the orginal short mags never got a fair shake, since remington wasnt smart enough at the time to put it in a rifle with a 22-24" barrel, heck my 6.5 rem will out preform my .264 with 120gr 130gr  and for a certain amount of distance 140gr bullet as well. they both are like a .270 wsm as far as a fair comparison, more oomph than the .270 win though.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:41
If I ever buy an AR-10 style rifle it will be in .260 Rem.  I totally agree with you, I think it is the perfect all round caliber for medium and small game.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:48
the one thing he mentioned and i may agree with, the .260 closely replicates the 7-08's performance, which doenst help it sell, and he also said its not as accurate, which i dont know if i quite agree with
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
smithrjd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smithrjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 22:39
I love the 6.5mm have two and either is the perfect caliber up to elk. My old favorite is a Sako Finnbear in 6.5X55 when I got it 20 years ago I was always aksed what caliber? 6.5X55.. deer in the headlight look.. They looked a lot closer after they saw the groups it would shoot. Second one is a Steyr ProHunter in 6.5X57 found this one NIB for $525 could not pass it up. Hard to say which one shoots better, the Sako or the Steyr. The SD and BC on the 6.5's has long been misunderstood. They just plain work on critters without using alot of powder or putting up with recoil.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 13:17
Boddington is my favorite author, his word is the bible to me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:56
 Colonel Craig ( didn't he get bumped to General ??) certainly has done his "time"
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 20:44
I have had a 6.5 X 55 Swede mauser for years. Had it shortened by a gunsmith buddy of mine and put a forward eye relief scope on it. Great coyote gun always loved the gun. Rebarreled my FN Mauser in 3006 with a 6.5 06 Ackley Improved. Really like this caliber, super accurate, fire forming cases is always a pain but wow great performance,even from fire-formers. My stainless Hart barrel seems to like everything from 100 to 140 grain so far. Anyway I am a big fan of 6.5, if money was no object I would buy a 6.5 Grendel black rifle seems to have great performance from what I have read. Grendel supposedly outperforms 308 heavy at 1000yds.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/26/2008 at 20:49
i to am intrested in the grendel but also the  creedmoor, i want to know how they stack up against the 6.5x.284 in black rifles
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 09:56
(...Boddington got passed over for General, unfortunately........)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 09:59
i dont know what to think about this, its straight from his site, it doesnt say either way if he actually was promoted.

MILITARY EXPERIENCE:

31 years service as Marine Corps infantry officer. Served as infantry platoon commander, company executive officer, infantry company commander, headquarters company commander, battalion logistics officer, battalion operations officer, battalion executive officer, regimental operations officer, infantry battalion commander, Assistant Chief of Staff/G-3 (Operations) on brigade staff, Group commanding officer. Activated in support of Operation Desert Shield/Storm in 1991 and Operation Vigilant Warrior in 1994. Recalled to active duty for six months in 1997 and six months in 1998 to serve as Current Operations Officer for I Marine Expeditionary Force. Recalled to active duty to serve as Marine Forces Pacific Liaison to U.S. Central Command from January through April 1999. Recalled to active duty March-August 2000 to serve as Current Operatons Officer, I Marine Expeditionary Force. Recalled to active duty March 2002—February 2003 to serve as Commander, Combined-Joint Task Force Consequence Management, headquartered in Kuwait. Decorations include: Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (Gold Star in lieu of second award), Navy Commendation Medal (Gold Star in lieu of second award). Promoted to Colonel USMCR October 1996. Selected for promotion to Brigadier General USMCR in April 2001. Retired September 2005.

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 15:11
I have always liked a 6.5.  I am considering building a 6.5mm Rem Mag or a 6.5-06 the next time I have the funds to make a new aquisition.  That's my problem, I can ALWAYS justify the need for a new rifle - especially in a nontypical cartridge.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 16:02
the 6.5 rem can be loaded to out run the .264 win mag if you used 130gr or lighter bullets, shorter action with a belt is unique, buying brass for it can suck a little, im glad to see that nosler is making brass for it now, most of the remington brass i have bought has sucked!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
n101rg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n101rg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 18:52
I have a 6.5 06 Ackley Improved and love it. Good performance even when fire forming brass. Reloading dies gonna set you back $100 or so which kinda sucks but wow.....great rifle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 19:47
most of the AI chamberings are pretty cool in my book, even the anemic .257roberts can become a 25-06 with AI stamped on the barrel, well almost a 25-06
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2008 at 22:52
Perhaps he was awaiting a billet; he may have been getting O-7 money and/or gotten the promotion at retirement.
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 09:01
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the 6.5 rem can be loaded to out run the .264 win mag if you used 130gr or lighter bullets, shorter action with a belt is unique, buying brass for it can suck a little, im glad to see that nosler is making brass for it now, most of the remington brass i have bought has sucked!

I didn't know Nosler was making brass for it now!  It is not listed on their website http://www.nosler.com/?p=11&b=5&s=14

It is a crapshoot with Nosler brass right now on whether you are going to get their A game or a box that really sucks.  Here is a thread where I post as woods http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/nosler-300-win-mag-brass-very-unimpressed-33899/  To make a long story short I got a box of 300 win mag brass and the neck thickness was way off and some had defective heads

so I sent it back to Nosler.  They sent me a replacement box and the neck thickness was worse.  It varied from .009" to .017"!

Personally, I like the Remington brass because it usually has thick neck brass which I can outside turn for a perfectly consistant neck thickness.  WW brass can get too thin and the necks will split.

As far as the 6.5's go I am really happy with my 6.5 rem mag that I had rebarreled from a 300 win mag.  Lots of room to seat the bullets long

and will push a 140 gr bullet all day long at 3000+ fps.  The Douglas barrel shoots pretty good too (damn those fliers)

I do wish that there were more options in the 140 gr bullets though.

Edited by sakomato - December/06/2008 at 09:20
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 10:01
Anyone have any ideas about rebarreling a WSM to 6.5 and necking some down? That should be an excellent caliber. Push 140's to about 3200, and carry a lot of energy.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 10:30
Hey trigger

Here are the dimensions of a 270 WSM and a 6.5 rem mag

there is not a lot of difference and I read somewhere that the 6.5 rem mag actually has a little more case capacity.  So I do not think that the 6.5WSM would achieve more velocity than the 6.5 rem mag with equal pressures.  That being said I have pushed 140's to over 3100 fps in the 6.5 rem mag but achieved better accuracy at around 3000 fps.

And if you rechambered or rebarreled an existing short action WSM then the bullet would intrude on powder space.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 12:28
Wow, I didn't think the rem. case was that fat! Didn't look that big in the store. I'll have to hold a WSM case up next to it next time.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2008 at 14:53
6.5rem was so screwed over by remington when it came out its not even funny had they put it in a 24" or 26" tube it may have spelled the end for the .264win, which right now im finding is very finicky compared to my 6.5rem.
nosler makes loaded 6.5rem ammo not bulk brass im sorry i didnt elaborate myself there. they are making bilk .264 brass now though.

as far as a 6.5wsm they thought about it and some guys had custom ones made, but if you wanna really have a 6.5 with some snort wildcat a .378wby case so you would have a 6.5x.378 that would haul ass!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic