OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm tubes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 20:58
Looks good there!......................On all the elk hunts I`ve done in the past, my opportunity for kills came after the sun came up and before the sun went down. There are always low lite opportunties which present themselves, where a good low lite scope will have the advantage...........I prefer to wait for better light opportunities as even my PH guides have suggested.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:04
Well sometimes the only chance you get is during the low light.  If you have a scope that you can make out the animal just fine then there is not reason not to shoot it. 

I agree with the evening shooting just in case you only wound the animal and have to chase it, but in the morning there is no reason not to if you can make out the animal.  In those cases a nice 30mm Zeiss or Swaro or Kahles Meostar would make the difference.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:05
i havent ever dealt with a 30mm tube, but i do know that reguardless of the tube size that high quality glass will weigh more than cheapo chinese crap does, 1" or 30mm it doesnt matter, i dont know if 30mm will ever take over for 1" but you may see more of a trend of people going to that 30mm option.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 21:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Ya, I agree with you and should have clarified better. 

I was referring to optical quality (your comment of Meopta's being heavy) not necessarily tube size.  Good optics almost always weigh more. 

In a lot of cases 30mm have better optical quality just based on the fact they use European glass.  I think the little extra weight is worth the better optics. 

Just last Saturday I was sitting on a rock before it was light for the elk hunt.  I was blowing my bugle and had a herd of elk coming into me.  It was 10 min to 7am it is was not completely light yet.  I saw some elk and put up my Meopta binos and could make out two spike bulls.  I pulled up my rifle with a 3-9x 4200 and I could no longer make out which ones were the spike bulls.  I had to pull up my bino's again and count which ones they were before I could shoot. 

So in that case I would have loved the extra 5 oz for a better quality scope of some European manufacture. 
..................Better trade in your 4200 for a Meopta then!............Laugh

I love how you always mock everyone about these nicer scopes.  I bet you have never had and hunted with one and really have no idea the difference they can make at times like this. 

You never hear people say "I wish I would have spent a little less."  But you always hear people say "I wish I would have spent a little more."  There is a reason some scope cost more and yes they do make a big difference during low light times.   
........................Excuse me? Mocking? Always mocking everyone with higher priced or nicer scopes?? I don`t think so sir! I have never mocked anyone!! That is your wrong headed and knee jerk assessment!.......You can`t take a joke when I stated to trade in your 4200?............Yes I have hunted with friends who own them and I know how exactly they are!! 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 23:20
Originally posted by SNIPE SNIPE wrote:

So, am I going to be able to find a nice quality reasonable 30mm scope for $600 and under??
If so what scope(s)???

IMO, you don't need 30mm and you'll hard pressed to beat these deals from the samplelist.com

4956 Kahles 3.5-10x50 American Hunter Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, ring marks. $806.00 $599.95
4623 Swarovski 3-9x36 American Light Weight 52040, Matte finish, one inch tube, plex reticle, fast focus eye piece, resettable windage & elevation, light ring marks. $887.00 $649.95
9145 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest 5214309920, Matte finish, Z-plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks $875.00 $599.95
9280 Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest 5214909920, Matte finish, Z-Plex reticle, 1" tube, target knobs, side focus, fast focus eye piece, ring marks $975.00 $629.95
take em!
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 04:36
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

.......Stiffer and stronger also comes with added weight.

Sort of, kind of.

The fact I like, is increasing the diameter of the tube increases its strength to weight ratio.  Keeping wall thickness constant, going from 1" to 30mm roughly doubles strength and stiffness in bending and torsion while only increasing weight by about 20%.  A slight reduction in wall thickness can give you greatly increased strength at the same weight--although dent resistance would go down.  But you get the idea.

No, not needed for most.  But as one who bent the 1" tube of a scope once bad enough to render my hunting rifle worthless until re-zeroed, that is something I consider.   Especially when the scopes are long, high powered ones with large objectives as simple leverage makes them more susceptible to damage, they can benefit from greater strength in the middle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 10:03
they make 1" tubes???? just kidding--- I put a youtube video on this site a while back showing the flexing a S&b scope goes through when fired over a 50, while most scopes will never see this much flex, never the less the tube of scope acts just like a steel tube that is fixed on one end and gets whacked with a hammer each time its fired, the vibration dampened curve  (single beam) are well studied and impulse (control system technology) is well documented.
better scopes are heavier because the entire erector sets are made heavier, not just the glass which only contributes a few oz. and the increase in tube wt. is also small.
regardless how one feels about 1" tubes--- it still dates the era when it was made, and because of recoup of fixed manufacture costs will always sell at a bargin price. (not good or bad just is)
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:01
I understand  the points about the 30mm tubes...........After thousands and thousands of range rounds and dozens of hunting trips over nearly the the last 40 years, the 1" scopes I have used have never let me down in terms of holding zero, abuse, recoil issues, durability, or performance. If so, through either my fault or a defect, then a new one under warranty, more than likely, would have simply replaced the old scope anyway!

The clear optical advantage for the 30mm`s begins when the price tag goes way up to, at the very least, a grand or more depending on the scope.

With a budget of around $600 or so, there is absolutely no reason why a great quality 1" tubed scope priced in that range cannot offer a lifetime dependable use.   

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:15
And for $600 I think a person would have a tough time finding a scope that is better optically than a Meopta Meostar.  Meostar's do have amazing optics.  I have two meostar products and they are fantastic.  You get more than you pay for with them.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:21
the following is not meant towards anyone just that the 30 mm can be searched (squeeze to dont take this personal as you know how I feel about scout scopes set ups) off topic here, but does anyone remember the old 7/8" and 3/4" tascos,bushnells,weavers from about 20 years ago. had one mounted on a blowgun with a b-square win. mod. 92 scout barrel mount-- perfect proportions.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:25
My dad has one of those.  An old Tasco 4x or something.  If was on his old pump .22 for a long time while I was growing up.  

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:27

And for $600 I think a person would have a tough time finding a scope that is better optically than a Meopta Meostar.  Meostar's do have amazing optics.  I have two meostar products and they are fantastic.  You get more than you pay for with them.  
.............Great optics? Absolutely!............However, if Snipe doesn`t mind only 3" of eye relief, plus the added scope weight of anywhere from 5 to 8 oz on his 7mm mag, then the Meopta is a great choice! 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:28
Mine is on a 7mm and I have yet to hit myself in the eye.  It was on my 45-70 for a while and I never hit myself with it there either.   I think Meopta is pretty low on their listed eye relief.  They probably list the very very bottom end of the variable range.

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:30

Mine is on a 7mm and I have yet to hit myself in the eye.  It was on my 45-70 for a while and I never hit myself with it there either.   I think Meopta is pretty low on their listed eye relief.  They probably list the very very bottom end of the variable range.
............Then he shouldn`t have a problem then!..........Go for the Meopta!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:35
I have a Meopta spotting scope, got it from the Bargain Cave while I was still an employee - great discount..... it is great for what I use it for, but so far I'm NOT a big fan of their scopes, mostly because of the eye relief.  It seems like the stated value is right and its not enough for me!
take em!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:46
You two both seem to be real big on the eye relief, must have been smacked a few times. Ouch  It must be the way you hold the rifle to your body.  You must be kinking your neck down to much to get into the scope.  That will make it like you are shooting up hill.  The scope/rifle should actually come to your eye, if you are bending your neck at all you are not holding the rifle to your body correctly or your rifle/scope is not set up correctly.

I can see the need on some of Squeezers big bore's the importance and the long eye relief.  But not for 99% of hunting rifles.  If you are holding the rifle properly to your body, you are just not going to get smacked. 

GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 12:15

You two both seem to be real big on the eye relief, must have been smacked a few times. Ouch  It must be the way you hold the rifle to your body.  You must be kinking your neck down to much to get into the scope.  That will make it like you are shooting up hill.  The scope/rifle should actually come to your eye, if you are bending your neck at all you are not holding the rifle to your body correctly or your rifle/scope is not set up correctly.

I can see the need on some of Squeezers big bore's the importance and the long eye relief.  But not for 99% of hunting rifles.  If you are holding the rifle properly to your body, you are just not going to get smacked. 
....................About 34 years ago, was the ONLY time I got smacked with a scope. I handloaded about 6 grains too much by mistake for my 300 Winny.

I used IMR 4831 data, but loaded IMR 4350 instead. Gash over my left eye, blood all over the place and a broken firing pin!!..Laugh

I can assure you that my rifle/body position is very good and has been very well developed over the years. I personally can handle the shorter eye relief. However, someone else may not!

For awhile, I had my former 3x9 4200 on my .375 Ruger and didn`t get whacked!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 14:05
I've been wacked once, and that's enough!!!!!  But that isn't entirely why I like longer ER.  When you're at the bench or for that matter, 90% of the time you're shooting, ER isn't an issue.  But every once in awhile you end up in an ackward position, extreme angle, can't keep left hand on front of rifle, etc. and THAT'S when I want the extra ER!  I usually have my scope set-up so I just mount my rifle (that just sounds funny) and its right there.... sort of like mounting a shotgun!  I don't want to have to re-adjust my head and with scopes with short ER, I have to re-adjust.
take em!
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I've been wacked once, and that's enough!!!!!  But that isn't entirely why I like longer ER.  When you're at the bench or for that matter, 90% of the time you're shooting, ER isn't an issue.  But every once in awhile you end up in an ackward position, extreme angle, can't keep left hand on front of rifle, etc. and THAT'S when I want the extra ER!  I usually have my scope set-up so I just mount my rifle (that just sounds funny) and its right there.... sort of like mounting a shotgun!  I don't want to have to re-adjust my head and with scopes with short ER, I have to re-adjust.
.............Exactly! I shoulda thought of that too. The different shooting positions and angles just may for some, cause a scope whackin problem if a harder recoiling magnum is used.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic