OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Would this Zeiss suit me for long range shooting?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Would this Zeiss suit me for long range shooting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 10:47
your reticle has a fixed interval while bdc are progressive, in other words while your second bar is 4 moa the second bar on the zeiss is about 5.5 moa, you can use your reticle exactly the same, and in fact nf has a special package computer ballistic package geared to nf reticles that does the same thing as the zeiss web site, and both are made by exbal.

the other problem here is that you are talking about ranging with a sfp reticle , and the relationships are linear, or just some fraction of the power, but the change in bullet impact due to magnification changes is not linear (except in ffp). two different animals.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:04
Originally posted by 
<div>the other problem here is that you are talking about ranging with
a sfp reticle , and the relationships are linear, or just some fraction
of the power, but the change in bullet impact due to magnification
changes is not linear (except in ffp). two different animals. </div>[/QUOTE
the other problem here is that you are talking about ranging with a sfp reticle , and the relationships are linear, or just some fraction of the power, but the change in bullet impact due to magnification changes is not linear (except in ffp). two different animals.
[/QUOTE wrote:

I thought that the bullet impact would be the same regardless of what magnification you use. Or am I missing something here?

I thought that the bullet impact would be the same regardless of what magnification you use. Or am I missing something here?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 11:09
the gun does what it does, the bullet impact will always be the same or at least a statistical resemblance-- its the optics that change.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 16:38
8Shots said it well
{( Zero your rifle at 200 yds and learn to shoot - or put differently, get to know your rifle ballistics.)Certainly for me nothing else works. A good 3,5 - 10 scope is all you need, with a duplex reticule. There is not much time to work out which aimpoint or bar to use, etc when the pressure is on. Pick up and shoot is all you can do.}Excellent

A good shooter understands the skills and . To much time taken trying to compute balistics usually spoils the shot. Something changes. To much time taken by a sniper getting sightings has killed many a sniper. Learn your rifle. If you want to be tops in the field shoot only one rifle and settle on one load, learn its every quirk. tale notes and study them. All the experiance you can have goes out the door if you change weapons, Calibers. or ammunition. Practice Practice Practice.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 17:03
To me the ballistic reticle is a guide to quickly know how much to hold over. If I am pressed for time, and don't have time to dial in a shot I can guess at the range and put the correct mark where I want to hit. This keeps me from guessing how much I am holding over at a certain range. It is always consistant.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 22:11
Well, I bought the 4-14x44 with the Rapid-Z 800 and look forward to trying it out.  Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and opinions.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 03:40
Originally posted by greywolf greywolf wrote:

Well, I bought the 4-14x44 with the Rapid-Z 800 and look forward to trying it out.  Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and opinions.

Please keep us informed of your experience with the reticule etc. And good luck, hope you have lots of fun.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 07:28
Please let us know how you like this scope. I think you will be happy. Congrats on a fine piece.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 09:43
what he said ^
take em!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

8Shots said it well
{( Zero your rifle at 200 yds and learn to shoot - or put differently, get to know your rifle ballistics.)Certainly for me nothing else works. A good 3,5 - 10 scope is all you need, with a duplex reticule. There is not much time to work out which aimpoint or bar to use, etc when the pressure is on. Pick up and shoot is all you can do.}Excellent

A good shooter understands the skills and . To much time taken trying to compute balistics usually spoils the shot. Something changes. To much time taken by a sniper getting sightings has killed many a sniper. Learn your rifle. If you want to be tops in the field shoot only one rifle and settle on one load, learn its every quirk. tale notes and study them. All the experiance you can have goes out the door if you change weapons, Calibers. or ammunition. Practice Practice Practice.

Totally agree !!!  Nothing better than complete familiarity with your weapon in all aspects !
if you have all the time in the world ... it does'nt matter ... usually only targets ... but for real world kills are you really going to have time to adjust ... read charts ... check lil paper stickers ... refocus ... adjust about 3 settings on a scope get out your lil paper chart in your pocket ... recalculate .... try to compensate for windage ... zoom up and down for obstructions .... NO !  Clown
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Mustang-PaPa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang-PaPa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 12:00
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

8Shots said it well

Totally agree !!!  Nothing better than complete familiarity with your weapon in all aspects !
if you have all the time in the world ... it does'nt matter ... usually only targets ... but for real world kills are you really going to have time to adjust ... read charts ... check lil paper stickers ... refocus ... adjust about 3 settings on a scope get out your lil paper chart in your pocket ... recalculate .... try to compensate for windage ... zoom up and down for obstructions .... NO !  Clown

Totally agree !!!!!!!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2008 at 12:09
There are a lot of times that a hunter can figure things like that out.  If you are sitting in a stand or a blind or on a rock you can figure out all the yardages and drops and all that stuff.  I do that everytime I am in a place like that.  I have studied my ballistics before and know how much my bullet will drop at various distances then I pull out my rangefinder and use landmarks to keep track of things. 

If you are out stalking it is kind of tough, but there are plenty of times that all that kind of stuff can be done to make sure you get first round hits.  At least in my experience it has been like that. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 03:15
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

There are a lot of times that a hunter can figure things like that out.  If you are sitting in a stand or a blind or on a rock you can figure out all the yardages and drops and all that stuff.  I do that everytime I am in a place like that.  I have studied my ballistics before and know how much my bullet will drop at various distances then I pull out my rangefinder and use landmarks to keep track of things. 

If you are out stalking it is kind of tough, but there are plenty of times that all that kind of stuff can be done to make sure you get first round hits.  At least in my experience it has been like that. 

Every hunting situation is different and calls for different skills. When we hunt springbuck in the Karoo it is also often in the form of "voorsit" or ambush. The hunter takes up a position whilst someone on horseback or on foot stirs the game. When they appear the ambusher can shoot, due to the flat open terrain this is often the only way to shoot a reasonable number in one day. We also range different points, even putting white stones up as markers out to 400yds. So when the game appears you know the exact distance. Even so an animal can suddenly veer off and run towards the shooter calling for instant judgement.
So there is no telescope that caters for all needs perfectly. If you are mostly in a position where you can use your time to do all the calculations etc such as on a target range or an ambush position, then a scope with all the gadgets is the way to go.
If however one mostly encounter game at varying distances with little or no time for calculations etc then a simpler configuration is the way to go.
One solution will not solve all the variables.

Edited by 8shots - October/17/2008 at 03:17
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 08:08
shooting against the clock wrings out alot old wives tales about technique and what works and what doesn't. not saying one is more important than another, but the time pressure and I'm underlineing time pressure, on a hunter is nothing compared to the rifle stage in a 3 gun match were as many as the course designer wishes to throw in. only hits count and if you have a "marker" that will help you hit it faster they get used. If you have to make a mental calculation or adjustment to make the hit at 400 yds, it can still be faster than same ole same ole.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic