OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

factory ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: factory ammo
    Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:23
I was out shooting the other day, and hit everything I shot at from 2-700 yards. It was calm with winds about 1-3 mph. I went out today with a new box of the same ammo, and everything hit low and right. Conditions about identical except 50 degrees instead of 70. Do you think the new box of ammo shot that different, or could the temperature change have caused such a big change? This seems like a big difference for this little temp. difference. I was about 8" right and a foot low at 400 yards. I should have backed up to 100 and checked my zero, but ran out of time. What do you think happened?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:39
different lot of ammo, thats why i reload. factory ammo has to many factors that you cant control
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:42
What time of day was it?  In the morning and evening a person will typically shoot different that during the middle of the day because of the shadows and the way the sun goes across the target.

Temp can make a difference as well as does air pressure.  Typically 1 single change will not make a huge difference.  But when you start combining a lot of things big changes can start happening.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:47
First day I shot from about 1:30 pm to 5:30. Today I went from 4-6:30.  It was sunny the first time, and overcast today. It rained this morning if that matters.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:50
Humidity definitely will make a difference.  It sounds like there were a lot of changes in your days.  Combine that with the different lot of ammo I can see changes like that happening at longer distances.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:56
i just messed with the atmospheric condition factors on my rem shoot program i screwed with the temp the humidity and the pressure and i went from 80degree and very little humidity to 50 degrees with a ton of humidity at 500yards and it only changed the poi by .3 inches i dont know how accurate that program is but thats what it came up with. i then cranked the heat way up with the high humidity and it dropped it a total of 6" at 500yds

Edited by pyro6999 - October/11/2008 at 21:59
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 21:59
I see. Well I was consistantly right 8" at 400, or I assume 2" at 100. I just thought this seemed like a huge change even with a different lot number and different conditions. I really need to buckle down and save for my reloading setup. If I ever get my hours back, and start making money again, this will be first priority.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 22:00
gun shows my man, buy the stuff used and go from there.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 22:01
 I am just disheartened. I went from not being able to miss one day to not being able to hit my a$$ with both hands a few days later.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 22:04
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

I got powder, a press, some dies, and 300 bullets that my dad had from his dabbling in reloading, but I need a scale, and tumbler, and all that other stuff yet. After deer season is over I can stop shooting so much and save some. If I would have invested all my ammo money in equipment, I would have had a nice setup already.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 22:09
Air density will have the biggest effect of all those things.  The moisture in the air from the rain earlier and the cooler temps will make the air thicker which will slow the bullet faster. 

But it is hard to say what the exacts causes were.  I am sure it was a combo of many things.  That is why snipers log everything for every shot.  Time of day, direction of the sun, humidity, air pressure, temp, lot of ammo, elevation, ect, ect, ect.  

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 22:15
Here is a good article on atmospheric conditions.  http://demigodllc.com/articles/windmeters-for-tactical-shooting/

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 08:33

its a common mistake that humidity causes denser air, it this were true clouds wouldn't float-- breifly water has an atomic wt. of 18, but both nitrogen and oxygen are diatomic and much heavier.

also because the faster a bullet goes the ballistic coefficient increases, so the differential rate of change doesn't drop off faster as indicated in Smiths article

wind meters are a waste of time.

a bright target will cause a shooter to "aim high" as the perspective changes. low light causes the opposite, combine this with a change in the bc of the two bullets you were using would be a good guess. even though the packages are marked with the same bullet it really doesn't mean they are the "same" in factory ammo

Edited by Dale Clifford - October/12/2008 at 11:17
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 09:34
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I got powder, a press, some dies, and 300 bullets that my dad had from his dabbling in reloading, but I need a scale, and tumbler, and all that other stuff yet. After deer season is over I can stop shooting so much and save some. If I would have invested all my ammo money in equipment, I would have had a nice setup already.
ive got a spare balance beam scale i would be glad to send you if that helps any
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 09:48
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

its a common mistake that humidity causes denser air, it this were true clouds wouldn't float-- breifly water has an atomic wt. of 14, but both nitrogen and oxygen are diatomic and much heavier.

also because the faster a bullet goes the ballistic coefficient increases, so the differential rate of change doesn't drop off faster as indicated in Smiths article

wind meters are a waste of time.

a bright target will cause a shooter to "aim high" as the perspective changes. low light causes the opposite, combine this with a change in the bc of the two bullets you were using would be a good guess. even though the packages are marked with the same bullet it really doesn't mean they are the "same" in factory ammo

Thanks Dale!   Thunbs%20Up
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 12:46

ive got a spare balance beam scale i would be glad to send you if that helps any

That's appreciated Hunter, but  I can't ask somebody else to finance my addiction. I'll get there eventually. Probably after deer season, before it starts getting warm enough to shoot again.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 13:44

That's appreciated Hunter, but  I can't ask somebody else to finance my addiction. I'll get there eventually. Probably after deer season, before it starts getting warm enough to shoot again.
im always willing to contribute to bad habits!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 05:00
  [/QUOTE]
im always willing to contribute to bad habits!
[/QUOTE]

Hunter,
   You da Man!!!!    Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Jason, you got it right, it an ADDICTION not just a habit!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 08:56
Jason, where do you get most of your ammo?
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2008 at 16:33
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Jason, where do you get most of your ammo?

Been buying all of it at my local sporting goods store. Of all people here, maybe you have heard of Dakota Archery and Outdoor Sports?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic