OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Strike Fire Red Dot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Strike Fire Red Dot
    Posted: October/11/2008 at 15:55
Well I walked into my local gun shop today who sells Vortex optics and low and behold they had a strike fire sitting on the shelf.  I have been waiting for one so I grabbed it up.  http://vortexoptics.com/riflescopes/view/vortex-strikefire-red-dot-riflescope  They retail for $160, I got it for $130.  So it fits right in with all the Vortex lines, which is nitched for a quality product but priced to the medium to lower end price tag. 

I have not shot it yet but a couple initial observations.  It comes with a set of really nice scope caps already on it.  Glass is pretty clear, but it has a slight red tint to it.  Not really in the same league as my IOR 4x but it is not bad.  It seems like the Aimpoint has a red tint as well, it has been about a year since I used one of those so I can't remember for sure.  The buttons are rubber coated and do have a slight click to them, but you don't notice it unless you are really paying attention.  I would rather have them more noticeable. 

It has both red and green illumination.  The illumination seems a little dim to me even on the highest setting.  I took it outside on my AR and while I could see it all the time, when I moved the gun quickly from target to target it seemed as though it would be a little faster if it was brighter.  When you first turn it on it goes to the color you had it set to last.  You then have to push the button again to get the other color.  I think that is a nice feature. 

The ring that goes with it is very heavy duty looking.  It is aluminum and it looks a lot like the burris xtreme rings to me.  It does not co-witness with iron sights, they sit a little lower in the scope.  Some will like that others will not.  Supposedly Vortex is going to make a slightly lower rings for those who want a true co-witness. 

It also comes with a 2x magnifier that screws onto the eye piece end of the scope.  When I first put it on I noticed that it takes away atleast half of the field of view.  That seemed to be a big turn off to me.  After I took it outside and looked at targets that were 100yards and beyond away it was not so bad.  My IOR fixed 4x has at least twice the field of view as this Vortex with the 2x magnifier on it.   Of course the closer you get the objective to your eye the bigger it gets.  If a person planned on using a flip down rear sight the scope would need to be mounted pretty far forward so you could flip it up and still have the scope mounted.  So if you put the magnifier on with the sight flipped down it would be pretty far from your eye.  So a person would probably not want to use it much for moving targets.  But for precision medium range shots I can see how it would help.  Vortex is also talking of making a 4x magnifier for it.  I really hope they do something with the field of view if they do or 4x will not even be usable. 

The finnish seems to be the same matte that is on their regular rifle scopes.  Nothing super special but I am sure it will be suffiecent. 

It takes a lithium 3v CR2 battery.  It has an automatic shut off after 4 hours on, so that is a nice feature for those of us who forget to turn them off. 

I will probably sight it in today and then put it through some of my torture test.  Which include using if for varmint hunting.  We always go on our wheelers and the gun is put in the handle bar gun rack.  So it will see an aweful lot of bouncing around and some rough treatment.  I have broke several lesser scopes hauling them that way so it should be a good test for it.  I will also mount it on my benelli m4 and see how it holds up on it. 

So this will be a running review that I will add to as it is used.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 16:15
Keep us posted I am wanting to pick up a couple of red dots but have been thinking about this one.
RD00004 Millett%201x%20SP-1%20Electronic%20Red%20Dot%20Sight%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20 Millett 1x SP-1 Electronic Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • 3 MOA Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $69.95
More%20Info... Buy%20Now

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2008 at 06:45
Tagged for AAR.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2008 at 23:38
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:13
As of right now with the little I have used it I am very disappointed in how bright the dot is or should I say how bright the dot is not.  I have been using it in the snow and I can barely see the dot in either red or green.  I find myself just using my back up irons through the otpic as much as I use the dot.  I called Vortex on this and they said yes it is not as bright as the Aimpoint.  So they know it and it seems to be fine with them.  Maybe if it is not used in the snow it will be better, but I am doubting it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 17:51
I have talked to Vortex guys and they will send me a Strikefire for review.  I should have it in a few days, I think.  I do not have an Aimpoint on hand to compare it to, but I do have a Millett ZoomDot (which I previously compared to an Aimpoint), shich should provide some reasonable comparison.

ILya
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 17:54
I will be at a two day rifle class this weekend.  It should give me a good idea of how well I am going to like it.  

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 15:40
Well I took it to my class and tried to use it but it did not turn out so well.  It was to dim for me to be able to use at all.  Trying to get on target quickly was impossible, I took it off after 1/2 a day and just used my iron sights. 

I called Vortex and they want me to send it back and they will take a look at it.  I surely hope it is just mine that is this way and that is not the way they are.

Another really odd thing about it is the only battery that will work in it is the one that came with it.  I bought 4 brand new batters to try in it and non of them will work.  I can pop them in my range finder and they work just fine, but when I put them in the red dot it will not even turn on. 

Ohh well, I am not much for battery operated only optics anyway.  I will follow up again when I get it back.

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 15:58
Originally posted by cyborg cyborg wrote:

Wes this is a little gem here.

Had one of those Billy and it worked OK but had to take it off my rifle because it had a blueish tint to the class that really screwed me up in heavy bush/overcast days.  Gave it to a younger guy with better eyes than mine and he likes it fine but just too dark for me.
God save the Empire!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:14
730132P Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • Red/Green T-Dot
  • CR 2032 Battery
  • Weaver Style Rail
SWFA: $154.95
More Info... Buy Now

731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now
I got a good look at the one above that looks like a trijicon and I really liked it the reticle is a T.  I have been thinking the 1-4x24 would be a good one what do you guys think?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
firemedic View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firemedic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2010 at 18:33
If you compare the quality of the Vortex it is above the average quality of the lower and mid prices scopes.  They are being used by numerous police departments around the country.  They also have the best warranty of any optics that I have ever seen.
rem
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic