OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Long Range Hunting Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Canyon Runner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 22:22

Seems I have disturbed a hornet’s nest LOL. Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I have great news...I am going to step up (with the wife's blessing to boot)!

So here goes:

Burris FF II 4.5-14x42 $336.99 (purchase date will be after the current special with the spotter, so please keep that in mind)

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 $308.99 (gotta like the rainguard)

Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 $398.99 (why is the 4200 worth $100 more?)

Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 $399.95 (would prefer higher power on high end, but 6-18 makes a close shot difficult

Any help appreciated… Chris, are any of these going on sale next month or two?

Buck...400 yards...can't tell if it's a 3-pt...gotta get closer...let's go chase after it!
NC-amature View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 08:56

Just sent my Whitetail Classic back to the facotry--we'll see what they send back to me.  It was mounted on a .270 that I took to the range and used for deer.  I don't send alot of rounds through the gun, but this time I wanted to get some practice.  After the 5th round I noticed the reticle was now out of focus.  "What gives?" I thought.  I refocused the eyepiece only to find when the reticle is in focus the 'target' is not.

Came home planning to send it back for repairs on the spot.  However I got sidetracked by SWMBO.  Long story short--I suffered through this deer season as-is with the reticle in focus.  Luckily my three deer were all within 40 yards this year. 

So IMO if you plan on hunting game about deer size under 50 yds and have limited funds a Simmons may do the trick--as long as you can deal with some inconveniences.  However, if you plan on sitting at the range plunking round after round wth 2 in moa at 100yds or long range hunting with precision, get something of higher quality.

As for my plans, whatever Simmons returns will be re-mounted on my black powder gun.  Something else will go on my .270 (e.g. Conquest, Elite 4200, VX-lll, etc).

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 14:47
Canyon Runner, if you can, go with the Bushnell 4200 , slightly better glass than the 3200!
goose7856 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goose7856 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 16:36

canyon runner, when you say "long range" that can mean alot of different things. Do you want a 4x-16x or a 6x-24x?? I know if I was shooting across a canyon I would want as much power as I could get, and still have excellant optics. My choice would be a Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 AO. If you cant afford that much for a scope, then check out a Mueller. I just bought one of the Tactical series, and they are EXCELLANT for the price. You can get the "Eradicator model" which is a 8.5-25x50 AO with fine crosshair and dot (and illuminated reticle) for $200 off their site. www.muelleroptics.com

If thats too much power the next best "under $200 scope BNIB" is probably the Mueller 4-16x60 IGR. It is a German post reticle with a illuminated dot. Also VERY good glass for the price of $180.

I see you said that $380 is probably too much, but ask Chris at SWFA to match www.theopticszone.com 's price and you will have one hell of the deal.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 20:16

Gotta agree..You're either gonna get a good Simmons or a bad one...The Aetec seems to have a decent reliability record, A friend of mine put one on a 300 Wby Vanguard and its held up to about 150 rd.s so far..Can verify the Meade optics parent company scenario for Simmons and Weaver. For the money, the Weaver Grand Slam at around $260. is a really good buy. You could also try the 3200 Elite, or ( sorry to mention the competition) , but log onto CDNN.com and they have Redfield Illuminator's for $199..These are comparable to Leupold VX III's , etc. ,,maybe even a little better. The only downside is the flattened site picture takes some getting used to.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 21:20
I've heard some mixed opinions on current Redfield scopes, but have never spent any serious time with them myself.

Ilya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 09:40

Have several Redfield Illuminators...great optics and plenty durable (  used on 338 Mag and 300 Wby ---no problems )

Also, excellent reviews on " Chuckhawks.com" and Gun Tests magazine

Edited by martin3175
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 16:34
Modern Redfield Illuminator does not come close to Leupold VX-III in clarity, durability or brightness to my eyes.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 19:00

Modern Redfields are living off of the name of the old company.  In my opinion they are crap, somewhat by design so that they do not steal any of the Weaver market.  Chuck Hawks never saw a product that he did not like.  I know first hand of one scope that he sent back to the manufacturer four times before he got one that worked right.  He gave it a stellar review.

ranburr

lasttrack View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasttrack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2005 at 19:29

Canyon runner

If there is any place around you that carries Sightron SII take a look at them. SWFA also said they were going to start selling them here (in a previous post). I looked throught some 3-9x42 and they are nice for the money a little over $200.00

They also have a 6.5-20x50 don't know what they go for, but have seen the 3-12x42 for under $300.00

NC-amature View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NC-amature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 08:51

Although not in the above price range, my brother swears by NightForce (haven't seen them on SWFA).  Looks like some interesting product lines.  Check 'em out at http://www.nightforceoptics.com . 

Haven't looked at the site enough to know where to purchase one. . .maybe Chris has some info on that?

brasskeeper View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brasskeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 09:09
Have you considered binoculars for stalking and glassing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2005 at 17:58

Absolutely disagree with ranburr and Chris on Redfield Illuminator  quality. Although I can't speak on their other scopes, I have a couple of the Illuminators and they definitely hold their own .Plus,  if one were to make an issue about  a company living off of their rep..Leupold is certainly one of them.( pretty good scopes but  too overpriced)

Anyway, to each his own

Edited by martin3175
J_Man_66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Man_66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 10:58
Burris FF2 4.5-14X42 w/ free spotter, took a 9 point at 385 yards with it this year. Great scope.Best ive used, and best for the money, guaranteed u will be happy with it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic