OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

first scoped rifle help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first scoped rifle help
    Posted: October/10/2008 at 09:54
I need a scope for a Savage 11f in .308.  This will be my first scoped rifle, and I need some help! I'd like to be able to make shots out to 500 on occasion. Budget is probably up to $400. My eyesight is not the greatest (pushin' 50) so more magnification will help. Buddies all say Leupold only...but I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy, and the stuff you recommend here sounds right up my alley. It looks like I can get one of several nice 3-9 x 40s, but if I go up to 4.5 to 14 in those same models I go over budget. Or I drop down in quality. And I know you guys don't recommend that. One buddy recommends up to 20x for that distance ( and from his targets and trophies he knows what he's talkin' about). But I don't think I can afford that much anyway. I have read and learned a lot here, but hoping you may be able to steer me in the right direction. I know you all mostly recommend 3-9, and the price is right, but for those longer shots, I may need more power : )
My next goal is to learn what I need to mount the scope, never realized it was so complicaterd!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 10:37
My recommendation is the 10X Super Sniper (which your Leupold friends will notice to have fantastic optics for the price.)  They do make higher magnification models but for your shooting ranging, higher magnifications will not be best.

As for mounting, get good rings and bases, don't skimp.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 10:58

More power without more resolution is worthless.  It's about fifty bucks outside your budget, but the Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 will fit nicely on your rifle.  Your bud's won't rag on you with the Zeiss.  The USMC has used 10x at 1000 yards for years.  9x at 500 may not be as close as you like, but with the Zeiss, you see the image in sharp contrast and detail. 

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by filedog filedog wrote:

I need a scope for a Savage 11f in .308.  This will be my first scoped rifle, and I need some help! I'd like to be able to make shots out to 500 on occasion. Budget is probably up to $400. My eyesight is not the greatest (pushin' 50) so more magnification will help. Buddies all say Leupold only...but I'm a bang for the buck kinda guy, and the stuff you recommend here sounds right up my alley. It looks like I can get one of several nice 3-9 x 40s, but if I go up to 4.5 to 14 in those same models I go over budget. Or I drop down in quality. And I know you guys don't recommend that. One buddy recommends up to 20x for that distance ( and from his targets and trophies he knows what he's talkin' about). But I don't think I can afford that much anyway. I have read and learned a lot here, but hoping you may be able to steer me in the right direction. I know you all mostly recommend 3-9, and the price is right, but for those longer shots, I may need more power : )
My next goal is to learn what I need to mount the scope, never realized it was so complicaterd!
...................For the most part, what is the rifle going to be used for?

If more for hunting use, a 3x9 is the best all around variable, certainly good enough for deer sized game out to 500 yards and for occasional 500 yard plinking.

On the other hand, if most of your activity is precision 500 yard paper punchin and/or varmit hunting, then a straight 10x or better is good. However, that choice is not for all around hunting use..........Can`t have both for $400!

Imo, a good 3x9 will give you the best of both worlds and it would be better to go with nicer optical quality, than compromise the optics and go with a higher powered variable.

3x9 Bushnell Elite 4200 (best bang for the buck) w/Rainguard will give you everything you need. 

I`ve owned a 3x9 4200, currently have a low variable  VX3 and currently have a variable Nikon Monarch EER scout scope. You will spend more with the Leupold to get the same optics.   

filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 11:35
 I want variable power, may be used for hunting, as well as targets.  The 4200 3x9 is a prime candidate. for roughly the same $, I can get the Weaver Grand Slam in 4.5x14, not a good tradeoff huh? Remember guys, my eyesight is not that great...no real need for 14x?
Yeah, I have heard I need quality mounts, that will be the next project, once i settle on a scope. Thanks!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 11:52
File dog- Welcome to the OT

Figure on anywhere from 75 to 100 bucks for quality mounts. I wouldn't tackle it alone if it's your fist time doing so. Not that it's the most complicated thing , but it is nonetheless vital to the optics being effective. In your price range and targeted use, a fixed 10x isn't the answer. Go with a 3x9 or 2.5x10 . Going to a higher power will only accentuate any vision issues. I like the Bushnell Elites in 3x9 or 2.5 x10 (Rainguard, nice optics, free jacket,and good warranty) , Zeiss Conquest is a great scope ( just don't feel it is worth $150 more than the 4200 Elite ) , for the same money as the Elite in a Leupold are  the VX II's, and yes- they are rugged , but optically a touch behind the equally rugged & similar priced competition . Funny to hear your range buddies proclaiming it is the only way to go ...same guys probably have been buying the same brand car since whenever , and anyone who buys any other brand  is obviously intellectually stunted..  
Weaver Grand Slams are a decent buy. Nikon has the BDC reticle in their Primos Model . Also,could look at Pentax Whitetails Unlimited ( I like their Twilght Plex Reticle--very bold) ...  I haven't tried one , but I understand the Burris Signature series is a good optic. Any of these will serve you well.

filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 12:01
Martin - thanks! Well, sounds like I might as well just get the 4200 3-9x40. And with mounts, I'll be near my target anyway.Yeah, I have heard I should let someone else install the scope. There's a gunsmith near me who will do it. Should I buy my mounts with the scope? (internet prices usually way better). As far as online sales, ebay is a no-no? To some guys Leupold is like holy writ, I know they ARE good, but I'd like to save $. 
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 12:10

Wouldn't be a bad idea when ordering the scope to get the whole "package" .. This way , whomever takes the order for you ,could walk you through your options on mounts.

Look-I have several Leupolds and like them just fine for the most part ( had an issue with a VX II 2-7 once ) , however, Leupy isn't the end all of optics, and options do exist.

As far as e-bay is concerned..Yup- they have generally turned their backs on gun enthusiasts, but every now and then you can find a 'bargain" , but  the downside to any online auction  is the lack of a one on one transaction with the confidence / validity that brings.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 12:11
After you get the scope talk to the gunsmith about the mounts.  There are lots of people who call themself a gunsmith.  Some are MUCH better than others.  The gunsmith will want to sell you the mounts in order to make money.  That is not a bad thing.  The biggest part of the cost is making sure you get things done right the first time.  Ask questions about how they check to make sure the rings are round, not undersized, and lined up correctly. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 15:00
The Elite 4200 3-9 X 40 is a grand scope for the money. You will be pleased. Pony up a few $ and a Zeiss Conquest is even better. Leuppy's are fine but don't let others cloud your judgement. They are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 15:55
Something like a Bushnell 3200 5-15X or Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14X and standard Leupold bases and rings might work just fine for you, and bring you in on budget.

filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 19:30
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

The Elite 4200 3-9 X 40 is a grand scope for the money. You will be pleased. Pony up a few $ and a Zeiss Conquest is even better. Leuppy's are fine but don't let others cloud your judgement. They are not the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Good tip! So as far as mounts are concerned, I was told I need to bring gun and scope to gunsmith, who must determine how high the scope should be, thus what size the mounts need to be, true?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 21:38
yes and no......... this forum would be able to tell ya what size should work with whatever gun and scope you get.

About the only thing I could add here is that YOU really are the only one to say which looks best to YOUR eyes!  Let this forum give you some options and then go to a store or even better a local range and look through the scopes you have in mind.  Maybe to you, there will be a huge advantage to the Zeiss or not so much of a difference and the Grand Slam or Buckmaster in the higher mag will work just fine.  Biggest thing is to get out and look thru some yourself!
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 09:42
Originally posted by filedog filedog wrote:

I want variable power, may be used for hunting, as well as targets.  The 4200 3x9 is a prime candidate. for roughly the same $, I can get the Weaver Grand Slam in 4.5x14, not a good tradeoff huh? Remember guys, my eyesight is not that great...no real need for 14x?
Yeah, I have heard I need quality mounts, that will be the next project, once i settle on a scope. Thanks!

How big are your targets at 500 yards? I think I would let this be your guide as to how much magnification you need. A 3-9x would be fine for shooting milk jugs out to 500, but if you are in it for all out accuracy on a small target it may not be enough. Your friend has trophys to prove how good he is. I have a feeling he uses more magnification for very precise shots at that range. I run about 10x for shots this far, but I shoot 10" steel. Absolute precision is not needed. I am not shooting competition. If I hit the plate, I'm good enough. If I was aiming for an x-ring, I would want to clearly see that ring.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 10:42
[/QUOTE]

How big are your targets at 500 yards? I think I would let this be your guide as to how much magnification you need. A 3-9x would be fine for shooting milk jugs out to 500, but if you are in it for all out accuracy on a small target it may not be enough. Your friend has trophys to prove how good he is. I have a feeling he uses more magnification for very precise shots at that range. I run about 10x for shots this far, but I shoot 10" steel. Absolute precision is not needed. I am not shooting competition. If I hit the plate, I'm good enough. If I was aiming for an x-ring, I would want to clearly see that ring.
[/QUOTE]

Excellent point. Milk jugs/plates is more what I will be shooting at. Thanks!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 10:58
yeah.....you don't need a Hubbel Telescope for that....

the 4200 Bushnell and the Nikon Primos would be a good choice for what you are planning to do......but the Nikon Buckmasters is a nice scope ( according to pyro and others on this site) but just not as Magnificent as the other two mentioned.....Bucky 

filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 11:28
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

yeah.....you don't need a Hubbel Telescope for that....

the 4200 Bushnell and the Nikon Primos would be a good choice for what you are planning to do......but the Nikon Buckmasters is a nice scope ( according to pyro and others on this site) but just not as Magnificent as the other two mentioned.....Bucky 

Those are my top contenders, but I have been looking at the Fullfield II because of the BDC.
I did a search on that and didn't see any pro/con discussion, any opinions?
filedog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 11:33
Just looking at the primos, didn't realize it had BDC!
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 11:34
The Team Primos has a BDC reticle, is that what you mean by BDC?
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 11:39
Guess I was a little slow on that one, but everyone is pushing these 2 scopes as they are such great bargains.  I personally own the Bushnell but if I needed a BDC reticle  and the 3-9x40 configuration fit my needs the Team Primos would be a no brainer Big%20Smile  Get them before they sell out, hmmm that gets me thinking the Primos would make a great xmas present for my old man, I may take my own advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic