OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leopold vs. Leopold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leopold vs. Leopold
    Posted: October/06/2008 at 02:22
Currently have a Vari-X 11c in 3X9X40. For anyone in the know how does this scope compare to the newer VX-111?
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 05:48
Other then what the website says in repect of better coated glass, I do not think there is much of a diffrence. I have the 111, but have not compared it to the 11.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 06:15
you will see some optical improvements between the ole varixii and the new vxiii
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 09:02
The new vxIII will have a better lens system. Two steps up from the old vari-xII's.

The new vxIII's have Index Matched Lens System.

The new vxII's have the lens system as the old vari-XIII's which is Multicoat 4.

The old vari-xII's had the standard Multicoat system.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 09:33
Way better windage and elevation controls as well on the newer vx-III. They're finger adjustable with resettable pointer dials.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 11:33

The following was copied from the Leupold website.

The VX-III line was new for 2004, and uses ¼-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments and a fast-focus eyepiece. VX-III’s are fully multicoated and Index Matched

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 11:52
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

The following was copied from the Leupold website.

The VX-III line was new for 2004, and uses ¼-MOA, low-profile, finger-adjustable adjustments and a fast-focus eyepiece. VX-III’s are fully multicoated and Index Matched

Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II

Except I'm not sure if they used magnesium fluoride coatings back then, it was standard multicoat. Could be the same with a different naming convention now?

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 12:28
There are many improvements on the VX3 as mentioned above. I`ve owned a 4200 and currently have a VX3 and a Nikon Monarch.

In case you`re wondering, these three are very close optically, like splitting hairs. 
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 14:32
http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/
Question #5
I hope nobody from SWFA or Leupold minds me posting that link.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 16:13
no issue there, if you would have said something wrong you would have heard about it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 19:14
No problem, it's good info, I was going by memory. I did call Leupold and confirmed that standard multicoat and magnesium fluoride are the same in the Leupold world.

Edited by mike650 - October/06/2008 at 21:15
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 19:44
Originally posted by Shenko Shenko wrote:

http://www.leupold.com/corporate/resources/faqs/
Question #5
I hope nobody from SWFA or Leupold minds me posting that link.

As long as you don't send us a link to an Obama fundraiser!!    Bucky
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic