OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

M1A scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1fabweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A scope suggestions
    Posted: October/05/2008 at 14:35

My first post here. Great info on this forum! Anyway, I recently decided to shoot long range target (goal is 300 yds +) & I'm going to use my Springfield M1A to do it. Some of the old timers told me that the M1A needs no more than a 10x scope. My eyesight pretty much sucks & I feel I need more than 10x. I currently have an A.R.M.S. mount & Warne steel rings to hang the scope. I dont want the objective bell to be larger than 56mm O.D. to keep my scope low. Most of my friends have Leupolds & tell me the world will stop turning if I buy anything else. I have compared Leupold's (various), Nikon's (Monarch & Buckmaster), Burris' (Fullfield), & Bushnell (3200 & 4200) side by side & I can't see the big money difference that some do. Although I looked through a S&B & It was quite a bit clearer than the above mentioned. I want to keep the price under about $450 if possible. From what I have researched so far, I like the Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42, Burris Signature 3-12x44, Bushnell 3200 5-15x40, & Nikon Monarch 4-16x42. I REALLY like the fact that the Burris signature is made in the USA (if it's true). I'm not sold on the Leupold line so please don't push Leupold. Please steer me in the right direction!! Thanks! PS. I posted this in the target forum but not much activity there so I put it here also.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 14:44
The Super Sniper 16x would do you well also. It is a fixed power but good glass and the price is right. I would suggest 10x but since you mention your eye sight as a concern 16x should do well for you. The Nikon Monarch is a good choice as well.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
a1fabweld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1fabweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 14:51
Thanks Cyborg! I have heard mixed reviews about the Super Snipers so I'm a little hesitant. Also becuase of my bad eyes, I think I may benifit from a variable power scope. I can't find much feedback on the Votex line. I like their features though like side focus for one. I have been looking at the Monarchs as well. Some target shooters I know recommended to get a mil dot reticle only. They didn't tell me why, just that I would need it over conventional cross hairs. What are your thoughts on that?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 15:03
A mildot will be useful when you aren't shooting at known distances. A BDC reticle is a great reticle for shooting without having to turn turrets until you get out past the reticles set points. If you don't mind twisting turrets a duplex gives you a very good sight of your target in a small amount of used sight picture. It's really just a matter of what your preferences tend more towards.
The Super Sniper is a fine scope and is built to Mil-Specs They are in use as Military optics as we speak. Not sure how any one could give a thumbs down about that, unless they are some sort of "If it ain't such and such" type. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE that I know of with a SS loves it.
The biggest thing I've heard about the Vortex is the sensitive eye box, though I personally believe that for target and varmint use that is a moot issue.  
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 16:01
My only experience with Super Sniper was borrowing Cheaptricks 10 power and I was impressed with it a great scope for the money. Some other considerations, Nikon Monarch and Bushnell 4200 or 6500 series or for a little more Zeiss scopes
I don't have any experience with Sightron but many of the guys here like them.

good luck and good shooting

Duce Big%20Smile

Duce
a1fabweld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1fabweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 16:48
The small amount of feedback I heard about the Sightron was good. I can't recall what was said about the SS scopes but it was in regards to their durability. If they offered a variable model I probably would have one on my rifle now. There is definately more positive than negative feddback on the SS line. So what do you guys think about the Burris Signature 4-12xx42?
a1fabweld View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1fabweld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 16:17

I searched the net last night for HOURS not including the hours I've spent over the last few months looking at scopes. After reading reviews from multiple forums & customer reviews from various optics dealers, I was right back where I started. Some folks like "X" brand & some like "Y". I came to the conclusion that it's like Ford vs. Chevy. Just personal preference. I just purchased a Burris Signature Select 4-12x42 with the "posi-lock" feature from SWFA for $450. The main deciding factor was the made in USA thing. The gentleman I spoke with at SWFA confirmed they are made here. From what I've read, they make great glass & they have a lifetime warranty. I'm looking forward to my new Burris! Thanks for the help here!

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 16:22
Congrats on a fine scope and welcome to the OT!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic