OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Ruger 7mm mag need scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG  T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Ruger 7mm mag need scope
    Posted: January/03/2005 at 13:18

I just got a Ruger mark ll model 77 7 mm mag for Christmas now looking for a a good scope in the range of $200.00 or less will be hunting deer with shooting ranges from 100yds to about 300yds which would be best 40mm ,44mm.what about nikon,Simons.so many to choose from but wanting a good one for the $.any infro would be  helpful .

Thank Big T

chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2005 at 15:38
think you need a quality scope to stand up to the recoil//weaver classic V or bushnell elite 3200................
chazgreen
M77 VT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M77 VT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2005 at 19:05

u might consider a nikon buckmaster 3-9-40. good scope for its price. 300 yards is a long shot with this magnification. it can be done though.  u might consider a higher power maybe a 4-14.i know u said 200 but you might consider a weaver v16 4-16-40 for 289 i think. chek it out. happy shopping @

Steelhead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2005 at 20:23
Originally posted by M77 VT M77 VT wrote:

u might consider a nikon buckmaster 3-9-40. good scope for its price. 300 yards is a long shot with this magnification. it can be done though.  u might consider a higher power maybe a 4-14.i know u said 200 but you might consider a weaver v16 4-16-40 for 289 i think. chek it out. happy shopping @

I  Your kidding...................right??? 300 yards is a long shot with 9x magnification on deer???? What the hell are you hunting.............Key deer?

"That Claudia Shiffer must be one smart woman, everyone says I have Shiffer brains."
BIG T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG  T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 07:48
Well maybe not hardly 300yds will the nikon stand the recoil  from the 7mm , I want one that want fog up , water proof  and shock proof  I will check out the weaver  and nikon ,we hunt a lot of old strip site . Big T
Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 09:13
Burris FFII would work real well. 
Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2005 at 17:20
LOL, I agree with steelhead, 300 yards is too close to even zoom to 9 power, unless of course you're shooting gnats...........
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 04:12
Sorry you got a Ruger, but if it was a gift I'd probably take it too!  That being said, you should have more money to spend for a scope since you didn't have to buy the gun!  I think you should look at a Weaver Grand Slam, Burris Fullfield II of a Bushnell 3200 or 4200!  Let's see how much hate response I get for bashing Ruger on this one!

carolinaflats View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolinaflats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 08:28
Whats wrong with Ruger? Though I've never shot a mkII I've never heard anything but good stuff about them. Just wondering why you're trashing them.
ots03 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ots03 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 11:18

U$ 200 for a scope is a little money...but I think the best scope for this money is burris fullfield 3-9x40 DONT BUY THE SPECIAL (with spotter) because the scope in the special is made in a third world country!!! Be sure the FF2 is made in USA.  

gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2005 at 15:46
carolinaflats, where would I start.  First of all, riflesmiths hate to make a custom gun using a Ruger action because of all the excess metal on them.  Take a MK II apart and look at it; you'll see what I mean.  Their triggers are horrible, I just put a new trigger on a buddies MK II and I had to sit there and grind and sand on the thing to get it to fit.  The angled recoil lug is not conducive to getting a good bedding job therefore contributing to poor accuracy.  Remington and Winchester accept aftermarket triggers very easily and most of the time they don't need them!  Rugers don't have a very good reputation for accuracy (paper punching at the range).

On the flip side I think their scope rings dovetailed into the receiver is a good thing as is the one piece bolt.  Just mu y own observations for what it's worth!

BIG T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIG  T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 14:45
Well Guys think for all the input and I can't knock the Ruger  like it a lot but that my own opion and as you know everybody got one but as a gift who can complain , as for the scope I have went with the nikon look at several different kinds and like the nikon best and if not please i will go a different route  there are so many maker as well as so many opion so i done this H.O.T. (hand on teaching) so wish me luck with my choice. Thanks BIG T.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 19:45

Have read alot of good choices...Burris FF2, Weaver Classic, etc,,,but, have tried most and the Bushnell Elite 3200 is just the brightest so far, and the Rainguard really works well... As far as Nikon goes- they are building them in the Phillipines now and their quality has gone down,,Also, I had a brand new 3x9 Monarch that simply wouldn't hold a zero- sent it to them for repair and received a bill for $170 to repair...took several calls to their PR person ( Ed ) to get it cleared up... probably wouldn't own another one-

Edited by martin3175
Imagunsmith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imagunsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2005 at 16:00
Hey carolinaflats, Don't worry about gozarins opinion, from some of his other posts he only shoots rifles that are at least $3,000.00. Nothing wrong with the Rugers!
Gotta problem rifle? I can probably help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic