OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cold Bore shots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold Bore shots
    Posted: October/03/2008 at 17:28
How much variation are you finding between cold bore shots and where the rilfe shoots after it has had a couple down the tube?  Is there a way to minimize the difference?  Why does this seem to be more of a problem with some rifles than with others?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 17:36
The toolings are always going to a bit different from one barrel to another. Even from the same manufacturer. There is also the dynamics that are related to the steel itself. Some companies use heat to straighten the steel before tooling, wlth this in mind once the steel begins to heat, it tries to go back to its former self Memory if you will. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 17:38
Some of my rifles do and some don't at all.  
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 18:43
first shot hits, are really the only thing that matter, and instead of shooting 3 or 5 shot groups much more can be learned from the rifle if say a bunchof 1 inch sticks are placed on a target and is one is engaged with only 1 shot in random order. , personally I think it is how clean, oily dirty the barrell is. currently I've been testing moly in a spr 300 wsm, and at 700 rds with no cleaning, the first shot on target hits have been something I would have never believed-- supposedly moly is/was thought up to extend the maintenance interval  but after seeing this -- got to try it on some other things.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2008 at 20:52
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

first shot hits, are really the only thing that matter, and instead of shooting 3 or 5 shot groups much more can be learned from the rifle if say a bunchof 1 inch sticks are placed on a target and is one is engaged with only 1 shot in random order. , personally I think it is how clean, oily dirty the barrell is. currently I've been testing moly in a spr 300 wsm, and at 700 rds with no cleaning, the first shot on target hits have been something I would have never believed-- supposedly moly is/was thought up to extend the maintenance interval  but after seeing this -- got to try it on some other things.

Dale, there is significant literature about barrels being damaged by moly coating... would be interested in following your continuation of this testing. I shot moly for a while, with improved accuracy and extended cleaning times with less cleaning effort, but quit after starting to see a volume of bad press on barrel damage with moly coating. Your thoughts on this?
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2008 at 22:20
ya heard that too, plus hart voids their warranties if you use moly, one of the reasons didn't jump in sooner. personally don't see need if the gun is high grade bench or something, thinking of the moly more for heavy use field type guns when started. if the moly could be linked to first shot hits, then its importance would over ride everything, althings are possible some things are more probable.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 16:24
Roger that... Please keep us informed on how it goes with you.
Thank you.
Dan
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2008 at 20:57
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

Interesting I know some police snipers after shooting clean the rifle then fire one more shot to get the barrel a little dirty.

I think there is something to the idea of the metal wanting to take its prior form which is probably cured by cryogenic treatment.

I have been using 168 AMAX molly in my .308 for a while.  Only recently someone told me that when using molly you dont really scrub the barrel you just clean it lightly and go on which leaves some molly in the barrel.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 07:00
That's the difference between, "MATCH" grade barrels and mass produced barrels. The match grade aren't straightened prior to tooling, the excess is cut away first and then the bore and riflings are cut using first cut tools, and these tools are used only a few times before they are replaced. This helps to guarantee match accuracy. Which is why these barrels cost more. It's also why they don't change much POI wise between cold bore and consecutive following rounds.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic