OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTR
    Posted: September/29/2008 at 19:50
I spose this really should be in the review section, but I have seen more people asking about the XTR and not many responses.  I received mine in the mail today from SWFA.  Thanks again for the great treatment.  I had to wait for Burris to ship it to them, which took some time.  The sent me an email last thursday saying it was in.  I called them friday and they said they would ship it out that day.  I recieved it today.  Great service again from a great company!  Thanks to Chris and the crew!

A few specifics first.  This is the new XTR with the Stormcoat.  I will be throwing the scope in the freezer here soon to start some testing on it.  It is the XTR 3-12x50 Illuminated Ballistic Mil-dot reticle.  I like what I see already.  It was bright and sunny when I pulled it out of the box.  I threw in the battery and turned on the illumination to see how it did in the bright sunlight.  You could see it on the highest setting, but even then if faded to black against some colors.  Not a big deal as it is bright out and you don't need it.  Inside where it was dark, you could easily see it on the lowest setting.  I look forward to taking it out at night and seeing how it does in the dark.

The glass and coating were clear with no blemishes that I could see.  It was bright and clear looking through it, but I am looking to test it at dusk, which will be the real test.  You could easily read highway signs at over a mile with it.  I had a few coworkers check it out, and they said it was the brightest scope they had ever looked through.  Of course the best they own is a VX-III.

It is built rugged and heavy like most of the Burris lines.  It is a heafty scope, so if you want a light weight scope, this is not for you.  The power setting was stiff to turn, but it assures that it will not move unless you want it too.  The parellax adjustment was stiffer than I would like, especially considering that the illumination setting is right next to it.  It was easy to turn the illumintation on when turning the parellax.  Not a huge deal, I just have to learn to get my fat fingers in the right spot.

I really like the elevation and windage adjustments.  They were easy to turn and had audilbe definite clicks.  You can feel it which is nice as well.  I haven't mounted it, so I can't comment on repeatability, but if it is anything like my Black Diamond, it will be awesome.  A big feature I like is a definite settable zero marking.  Once you sight it in, you can set it to zero and know where to go back to every time if you make an adjustment.

The eye releif is closer to 3.5 in on the high end magnification.  I have never had a problem with that.  This scope is going to find its home on my 22-250 for some serious varmint hunting this year.  Yotes and other varmints better watch out.

A bonus I didn't expect was a free sunshade that came with it.  Thunbs%20Up  I thought I might have to go buy one.

I will post pics, and further reviews as I do some testing and shooting.  First I am going to see how the stormcoat (supposed to work like raingaurd) works, so off to the freezer I go.  More to come.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 06:49
Keep us informed on the freezer test and thanks for the info.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 12:51
Tagged for pics! Thanks Bomb Guy! Thunbs%20Up
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 13:13
I guess the de facto Montana test is the freezer.  When you're done with that, do the "Texas" test and throw it in the oven on 150 for about 3 months.

Let us know what you think of the scope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 14:28
Tagged, go Burris! 

Edited by tahqua - September/30/2008 at 14:28
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 16:37
Thanks for your post, Andrew!  I look forward to hearing more about this scope.

+1 on RC's "Texas test," though he might be a bit conservative on the temp and duration to simulate actual conditions.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 20:09
Alright, time for an update.  Forgot about the scope in the freezer for a couple days.  Finally pulled it out last night just before dusk.  It frosted up quick, but you could still see through it enough to shoot in the daylight.  At last light, I doubt you could have seen well enough to shoot.  But once it cleared up, it was great at last light.  I still have to do more comparisons at last light.  I need some cards for resolution testing too.  What do you guys use?  Not sure I want to put it in an oven at all.  I can't wait three months before I use it.  I am hoping to mount it tonight.

I took it out at night as well.  No moon at all.  On the lower settings, you could still see with it, but by the time you got up around 8x I lost sight without any light source.  I did test the illuminated reticle.  Way overpowered on the highest setting on a dark night.  The lowest setting worked great.  On a moonlit night, the higher settings might be nice.

Once I get it mounted, and take it out shooting, I will give some more updates.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 20:18
Here are a few pics.  (Scope, no gun yet).

GEORGE WASHINGTON
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 13:07
Yippee Lo0oking good, Get that sucker mounted and post some pics.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2008 at 23:23
Sorry it has taken so long to get pics on the gun posted.  Between the bowhunting and girl, I have been distracted quite a bit.  But here you go.  Enjoy.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 11:20
Nice...
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 12:50
You really need to get that rifle fixed. The bolt is still on the wrong side.  

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 12:55
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

You really need to get that rifle fixed. The bolt is still on the wrong side.  

Laugh%20Above

Wait just one minute................No it isn't.....Mad
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 16:02
For some of US it is!!!

LOL
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 17:25
good looking rifle
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2008 at 19:20
It is my Rem 700 VSF 22-250.  And I think the bolt is perfectly positioned for optimum operation! Big%20Smile

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 14:32

This works better for me.

Edited by 3_tens - October/24/2008 at 14:34
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 18:40
I'd rather see pics of the distractions......... especially of the girl!  Naughty
take em!
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 20:46
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

This works better for me.

Well at least you got a good scope on that backwards rifle.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2008 at 22:52
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I'd rather see pics of the distractions......... especially of the girl!  Naughty

Easy there Tip!  I'll see what I can do about that.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic