OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low light Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassml1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low light Scope
    Posted: September/29/2008 at 16:00
I am looking for a good low light scope for my Thompson Center Icon .270 win with about $400 to spend. What do you think about the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 for $399.95 here or the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Nikoplex $379.95. I mostly tree stand hunt and few power line stands. I am open for other suggestions. Thanks!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 16:39
Originally posted by cassml1 cassml1 wrote:

I am looking for a good low light scope for my Thompson Center Icon .270 win with about $400 to spend. What do you think about the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 for $399.95 here or the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 Nikoplex $379.95. I mostly tree stand hunt and few power line stands. I am open for other suggestions. Thanks!
................Can`t go wrong with either in this case! Imo, it would be like splitting hairs to compare these two.

I`ve owned a 3x9 4200 and currently own a Nikon Monarch. It really depends upon your eyes and what you see. They are extremely close.

I also have a straight tubed lower variable VX3 sitting on a .375 that I also consider just as clear and resolute.

Along with your two above choices at the $400 price point, I really like the 2.5-8x36 VX3 for your .270 as well. Out of the three imo, for your Icon, the VX3 with that gold ring will will look the best. You will also save about 3 oz up to maybe about 5 oz. in scope weight with the lighter VX3 vs the 4200 and the Monarch respectively. Not a big deal, but every ounce in weight savings can and does make a difference, if alot of hiking is ever done in steeper terrain. 

For brightness, I consider that a 40mm to a 42mm objective would only have, if any at all, a small fractional advantage in the brightness category vs the 36mm.

For more bucks, some will say to go with the Zeiss Conquest.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 16:52
I'm one of those who would say to go with the Conquest,  however, either of the two you listed would do fine.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 16:57
I would go with the Bushnell elite 4200 3-9x40 for $299 and then spend the other $100 and a nice base and rings.  Nothing the 2.5-10x will do that a 3-9x won't. 

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
redneckbmxer24 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redneckbmxer24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 17:47
the 4200 2.5-10X40 is a VERY clear scope. mine is even clearer than my zeiss conquest 3-9X40. flip a coin, for the price range your looking at, cant go wrong with either.

maybe also want to look to see if there is a swaro of kahles over on the sample list in your price range.
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns, I'll be only one of millions!!!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 18:14
Originally posted by redneckbmxer24 redneckbmxer24 wrote:

the 4200 2.5-10X40 is a VERY clear scope. mine is even clearer than my zeiss conquest 3-9X40. flip a coin, for the price range your looking at, cant go wrong with either.

maybe also want to look to see if there is a swaro of kahles over on the sample list in your price range.

+1 Either of these would be great, and agree with tip also, put some nice mounts on it. I use talley lightweights, but there are several fine mounting solutions out there. Warne is a name that comes up a lot also.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
cassml1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassml1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 10:25
Okay competitors shooters has the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40 for $335.36 plus $12.00 shipping= $347.36 and the free jacket. My local dealer is having a sale on Nikon Scopes and I can purchase a 2.5-10x42 nikoplex reticle for $309.00 plus $21.63 tax=$330.63. Which one would you pick?
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 10:51
SWFA has a 110% price guarantee.....if you can show that you can get it cheaper elsewhere they will beat the price...........( incidentally, you are talking on THEIR website!!!   Whistling     Big%20Grin   )      Mouth%20Taped%20Shut      
cassml1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cassml1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 11:14
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

SWFA has a 110% price guarantee.....if you can show that you can get it cheaper elsewhere they will beat the price...........( incidentally, you are talking on THEIR website!!!   Whistling     Big%20Grin   )      Mouth%20Taped%20Shut      

oops! sorry about that.Loco
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 11:21
Originally posted by cassml1 cassml1 wrote:

Okay competitors shooters has the Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5x10x40 for $335.36 plus $12.00 shipping= $347.36 and the free jacket. My local dealer is having a sale on Nikon Scopes and I can purchase a 2.5-10x42 nikoplex reticle for $309.00 plus $21.63 tax=$330.63. Which one would you pick?
................Flip a coin!!!.... OR....Eeeeneee,,,,meanie,,,,,minee,,,,,moe!!!...............Need a jacket? Go 4200!
Calishooter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calishooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 19:36
Just got Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 from swfa for $393 shipped no tax!!! I got too excited and spent the savings on other goodies I found there but it was gonna happen sooner or later.Big%20Grin  Excellent customer service by the way!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 20:28
I agree with Squeezer, get the jacket, or was that the scope.  Either way both are very nice products, especially the optics.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
opticsmike View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 03:16
Excellent deal, you will not be disappointed.
bbush View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 09:31
Just got Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 from swfa for $393 shipped no tax!!! I got too excited and spent the savings on other goodies I found there but it was gonna happen sooner or later.Big%20Grin  Excellent customer service by the way!
I just looked at SWFA's website and all of the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40's that I see are at least $449.  How did we get one for $393 shipped?  Did SWFA have a sale going on or was it one off of the Sampklelist?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calishooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 18:56
They have it at nightvisionsales for $399 with free shipping, swfa beat the price and gave me free shipping on all my items. I used a dednutz mount and it is a really nice fit. Great optics, someone at the range had a leupold which I compared mine too and I was glad I went with the Zeiss!!! To be fair the loopy was a bit older but still in great shape.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2008 at 19:04

Welcome to The OT, Calishooter! Welcome to the SWFA family. Wink

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calishooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2008 at 19:24
Thanks, I've visited a lot of forums researching for my first rifle/scope purchase and I have to say you guys have provided the best answers. So far I have no complaints, did get "scope eye" + 3 stitches but I made a few friends in the process! LOL!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic