OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Double dovetail vs standard scope mount

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rquack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Double dovetail vs standard scope mount
    Posted: April/04/2004 at 17:21
When should a person begin to look to the stronger double dovetail mounts instead of the standard two piece scope mount? I'm mounting scopes on my 7mm Rem mag and 300 Win mag and I'm looking for a couple of experience based opinions on this topic as my own experience is fairly limited; in the past I just followed the recommendation of my gunsmith (and never had any probs) but now want to learn a bit more about this topic. Thanks for your insights and opinions.
fireman View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2004 at 14:36
DD rings and Bases Vs. Standard?  The DD (Duel Dovetail) will give you the securest foundation for your scope.  This dude is Rock solid when installed properly.  For the mag. rifle you mentioned this would be a good choice.  The only down fall is there is NO adjustment for windage as the standard mounts provide, but on the finer made rifles and scopes where tolerances are given strict attention, major windage adjustments shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks, Ron, S.W.F.A. Inc., (972)SCOPE-IT, http://www.riflescopes.com/
Aicman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/05/2004 at 20:36
I use the Burris Sign Zee rings. Stress free and solid mounting of the scope with easy boresighting. I use those rings with weaver style bases. The ring screws can act as a slide stop if you mount the rings to have the screws touch the front side of the base slots(remember, scope tends to move forward withrespect to the rifle...). The Burris Signature rings won't stress the scope nor mar it while mouting it. They are solid and can boresight your scope without lapping and wasting scope adjustment range. I don't think the double dovetails will be any more solid if you instal your weavers as described above(unless the screws come loose). Talley rings are excellent as well but don't boresight as easy. I would use them though if you need to have quick detachment capability...or another very solid ring...
Aic
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic