OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MUFF Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MUFF Question
    Posted: September/29/2008 at 08:36
Guy's I am wanting a new pair of electronic ear muffs.  I'd like to keep it around 100 dollars.
What suggestions do you have?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 09:37
I haven't gravitated to the new electronic ear muffs, I've alway used Peltor muffs which run about $30.00, fit great and always work when I grab them.  I'm sure there are number of good models available, look for something with about 30db NRR rating. Just remember, your mother only gave you one pair of ears, so protect them. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 09:50
I have some caldwell electric muff for me and my young son's and they work very well.They run about $40 and are well worth it.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 17:45
Dave, I have used a pair of Peltor Tactical 6S for about 3 years now.
They work great and are well within your budget.  

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 17:58
Careful! My wife got a pair for me from Sportsmans Guide a couple of years ago. The electronic part woked ok, but they had no soundproofing material in them at all. Was like shooting with plastic cups on my ears.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 18:00
+1 on the Caldwell I caught them on a competitor flier 2 years ago for $19.95 and they are still working. Amplifier is a little tinney but what can be expected at that price.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 18:01
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Careful! My wife got a pair for me from Sportsmans Guide a couple of years ago. The electronic part woked ok, but they had no soundproofing material in them at all. Was like shooting with plastic cups on my ears.

Peltors??
Mine are VERY comfortable. I wear them at gun classes for hours on end and I love 'em.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 18:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Peltors??
Mine are VERY comfortable. I wear them at gun classes for hours on end and I love 'em.
Don't know the brand. Comfort wasn't the issue, they had no sound proofing in them. After a short day at the range and ringing ears I checked them and they were just plastic ear cups with speakers. They did not have anything to deaden the sound. The speakers just shut down at loud noises, but the sound comes through the plastic. OUCH!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 18:31

Hell, I even run my Peltors without batteries and they are all the ear protection I have ever needed.

I just put batteries in them if I'm at a class and need to hear the instructor's commands.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2008 at 06:18
I haven't used the Peltor electronic models but as far as noise protection they are top drawer. We have them at work, various plugs and muffs, and they have to work. They are OSHA approved.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 03:49
Say WHAT, speak up laddy I can't hear you!!!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 11:24
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Say WHAT, speak up laddy I can't hear you!!!

8's , Did you bust your " EAR BALLS"?
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 11:36
Peltor Tactical 7s
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 11:42
I'm leaning to the Peltor 7's.  They have extra noise reduction and take a 9 volt battery.  Peltor also has a model between the 6 and the 7, that has better battery life than the 6 and is a bit more user friendly to long gun stocks.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2008 at 15:38
Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

Peltor Tactical 7s

Good recommendation. Thunbs%20Up
Optimus Prime View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
RMS Jr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Optimus Prime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 13:02
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Optimus Prime Optimus Prime wrote:

Peltor Tactical 7s

Good recommendation. Thunbs%20Up

O yipppeeeee, you approve of my recommendation. Snoopy
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 13:19
Now, now, play nice OP - don't get all paranoid!
God save the Empire!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 10:58
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 11:02
Ed-- you're a sick pup .....FUNNY as hell though

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 16:24
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

HOLY CATS!!! Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic