OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Victory FL vs Swarovski

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote traub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Victory FL vs Swarovski
    Posted: September/28/2008 at 18:20
I've been in the market for some high end binoculars, and would like to know if anyone has any opinions regarding a few that I've found.

I was considering the Pentax DCF ED 10x42 which seem to be great binoculars, however, I found some Zeiss Victory FL's at a price that could not be matched anywhere.

The two binoculars that I am interested in  are the 10x42 Victory Victory FL T* and the 10x42 Swarovski WB

The Ziess Victory's are about 5 oz. lighter and are a little longer, and the eyecups have 4 positions of adjustment.  The Swarovski eyecups only have two positions of adjustment.

The price would probably be the determining factor.  In the store where I shop, the Zeiss Victory's are on sale for $1160, which is probably about $600 dollars cheaper that I could purchase them on the Internet, and the Swarovski's are $1450. 

I would just like to know if anyone has had any experience and opinions of these two high end binoculars and even the Pentax DCF ED.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 19:59
I think you have already made up your mind to buy the Zeiss if not I'm not sure what's stopping you. Enjoy them Thunbs%20Up they are a fine choice.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 20:02
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

I think you have already made up your mind to buy the Zeiss if not I'm not sure what's stopping you. Enjoy them Thunbs%20Up they are a fine choice.

+1  Whacko
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 21:02
Seriously try a pair of 10X42 Meopta Meostar before you spend the money on one of those two. I own a 8X30 and 10X42 Swaro's and now 8X42 Meopta's. When I sit down and compair them I come to the conclusion that you are buying a name (also great warranties). I also own a Swaro scope and Spotting scope and a conquest scope. Who cares what it says on the unit as long as it is a superior piece of optics. You can't go wrong with either of your two choices and I was just throwing out my experience with these optics.  Let us know what you choose.

Edited by snowflake77 - September/28/2008 at 21:04
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 21:03
As for the premium European optics.

Zeiss makes the best glass. Thats for the Victory series, NOT the Conquest series. Conquest is good but its not their premium brand.

I'd got with the Zeiss 10x42 you won't be disappointed.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 19:21

I have not owned either glass in 10x but I have owned three configurations of the FL and two versions of the EL. In my experience the FL excels in centerfield sharpness and clarity. There isn't an image out there that beats it in those two areas. You might as well throw in brightness too. The FL's use of Abbe-Koenig prisms makes them inherently brighter than the Schmidt Pechan prisms found in the EL. The FL/ED style glass utilized in the FL also makes the image much "cleaner" and therefore increases the apparent sharpness.

Can you tell I prefer the FLs?

That is from an optical standpoint. Ofcourse, the EL definitely beats the FL in terms of edge sharpness plus the ELs feel a bit more comfortable ergonomically and their customer service is superb.

Either way you are going to get an excellent binocular.

Frank
mjones View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 22:02
For the price of the Zeiss Victory FL you quoted, I choose the Zeiss.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 08:20
Victory FL is great, you will be happy.  Swaro is great too - but costs more (for you, given the prices you quoted.)  The Pentax are great too.

Get what you WANT, or you'll be buying again - sooner or later.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 08:28
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Get what you WANT, or you'll be buying again - sooner or later.

Sooo true!!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic