OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

X-Mark Pro Trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X-Mark Pro Trigger
    Posted: September/27/2008 at 20:17
I finally got my new Remington in Friday with the xmark trigger. They must have put the lawyer proof model in mine. The trigger breaks like glass with zero creep. The only problem is it's set at about six pounds. Can any good gunsmith adjust this trigger or should I send it to an authorized service center.
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2008 at 20:22
Hey head hunter,

I had the EXACT same problem when I got my 5R last year.  It came with a great trigger but you had to squeeze the snot out of it to trip it.  The adjustment is a simple one and any gunsmith can do it.  Some folks say you can do it yourself, but I had a smith do mine.  He set it at 1.5 pounds and it's simply AWESOME!  I wouldn't send it back to remington, not because they wouldn't do a great job, but rather it's easily done by a smith and the turnaround time would be much better.  My smith did mine while I waited.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2008 at 21:59
Originally posted by head hunter head hunter wrote:

I finally got my new Remington in Friday with the xmark trigger. They must have put the lawyer proof model in mine. The trigger breaks like glass with zero creep. The only problem is it's set at about six pounds. Can any good gunsmith adjust this trigger or should I send it to an authorized service center.
remington wont do it, have your smith do it
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
head hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 13:42
I guess it's off to the smith next week. You would think as much as they want for firearms these days that would adjust a trigger from the factory better. It just don't make no sense to me to put a decent trigger in a firearm then set it at six pounds.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 13:46
lawyers my man thank them, here is the bad news, you send it off to your smith to adjust it and say 3 years down the road you need to have remington fix something for you, they will check your trigger and adjust it back to the factory setting and charge you extra for it too. i should also mention that the x mark trigger adjusts the same as the old m700 trigger, the machining tolerances and material used to make the xmark are really the only differences.

Edited by pyro6999 - September/28/2008 at 13:52
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 14:03
What would happen if you have changed the factory trigger with a after market and have to send it back to remington for work to be done. Would the change it back to a factory trigger of refuse to work on it. Right now I going to see what my smith can do with it then if I still aint happy she get an after market.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 03:49
I tried to adjust mine downwards, would not go far enough. Fitted an aftermarket trigger and I am very happy.
Let the forum know what your final experience has been.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 06:11
Originally posted by head hunter head hunter wrote:

What would happen if you have changed the factory trigger with a after market and have to send it back to remington for work to be done. Would the change it back to a factory trigger of refuse to work on it. Right now I going to see what my smith can do with it then if I still aint happy she get an after market.
  that would be fine
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 12:52
my kid's 700 CDL .270 is set to @ 7lbs. according to my guage!  Shocked
take em!
flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 13:06
8 shots, how far down were you trying to go with your trigger?
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day, but if you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
scarface_usmc View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarface_usmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 15:09
My xmark is sweet straight from the factory at about 2 1/2ibs. what model is yours?
"keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 21:52
my cdl came set at 6lbs, its roughly half that now.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 05:49

Mine is a model seven and it is right at six pounds. When I talked to my gunsmith the other day he said that they put a heavier trigger in magnum calibers. He said that he might not be able to get it to adjust down low enough. I'm only wanting to get it down to around three to three and half pounds. I will only be using this rifle for deer hunting.

flyspy1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyspy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 06:43
I didn't think they put a different trigger in the magnums, but I could be wrong.  You shouldn't have any problems getting the X-mark down to 3 lbs.  From what I understand, it's a lot like the old trigger, except that they moved the position of the adjustment screw.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 07:15

i know they didnt move any thing on that trigger, the screws are in the exact same location as they would be for an old m700 or a new m7

They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 08:46
Originally posted by flyspy1 flyspy1 wrote:

8 shots, how far down were you trying to go with your trigger?

I have the Rem700 Varmint VSF. In my humble opinion this rifle is designed for some fine shooting off a rest, bench etc. It is rather heavy for lugging around and to use for normal hunting. I personally bought mine for making holes in paper. I need atrigger at 1lb or less. So I find it rather ridiculous that a rifle designed for this type of shooting comes fitted with such a trigger that cannot be adjusted to below 3lb. Maybe 2 lb if you are a magician with metal work, but not from just using the adjustment screws.
Before anyone says otherwise, I tried for about 3 hours. So did a local gunsmith. I then slipped in a Timney trigger and adjusted it to 6 ounces or whatever I wanted (settled on 14 ounces eventually) in less then 5 min.
The problem is that the X-Mark safety catch arrangements and bolt stop is different. The Timneys available in South Africa is still for the old style Rem trigger, so I cannot swop the safety onto the Timney. Being a left hand rifle complicates matters further. I see Basix makes a sweet Remington aftermarket for the X-Mark, but still not in left hand.
Anyway, I would have to buy from the UK, because your market is closed to the rest of the world.

Edited by 8shots - September/30/2008 at 08:48
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2008 at 23:09
the x mark isnt a competiton class trigger its a hunting trigger, anything below 3lbs for hunting isnt safe in my book anyway.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2008 at 14:46
I've got 2 X-Marks and like mine but they're not target or varmint triggers IMO.  I understand and agree with your conclusions 8-shots.

I had mine adjusted as low as possible but still pass the butt slam and bolt slam test.  One came in at 2 3/4 pounds and the other 3 pounds.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 03:05
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

the x mark isnt a competiton class trigger its a hunting trigger, anything below 3lbs for hunting isnt safe in my book anyway.

That is understandable Pyro, but then Remington should put something else on a Varmint rifle. The term Varmint Rifle is also off course an American term. In South Africa we see a heavy barreled, synthetic stock, 26 inch barrel as a rifle meant for accurate shooting at long distances off a solid rest such as a specially designed culling chair, front rest etc. This design of rifle is certainly not meant for  normal hunting. Culling type of shooting or culling requires a finely tuned trigger. The proffesional culling teams in South Africa only take headshots and distances of 300 to 400yds. This is springbuck culling in the Karoo or Kalahari, where 200 to 300 springbuck are shot for the meat market. The cullers would use finely tuned rifles, and the Rem 700 Varmint falls into this category, but in all instances the trigger has to be replaced with an aftermarket trigger. Surely Rem should be able to come up with a trigger for their VARMINT rifle that meets the market demands???
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2008 at 06:20
i see what your saying, but in your case you need something more suited for target shooting not hunting, remington probably doesnt consider south africa to be there major market, most of us use our rifles to take body shots on animals inside 300yds, and so a 2lb trigger isnt necessary, and in a lot of instances isnt safe either. if i were you i would bought a remington target model like this
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic