OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Anybody use a Sightron scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody use a Sightron scope?
    Posted: September/25/2008 at 22:04
Would like to hear from anyone that is using a Sightron scope and what they think of them.  I'm looking at the SIIISS 6-24x-50 with Mil-dot.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 22:56
Haven't used one in a while, but the conscenses is, is that they compare very well with the VX3, Monarch & 4200.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 01:34
I have one sightron it is an S1 3-9x40 mildot and it is a very nice scope. I bought it for a 22 and it was so nice that I switched it to a 30-06. Koshkin has often spoken highly of the Sightron and it seems to be a good value and reliable.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 07:21
Check out the reviews section.  There are two listed.  I own two myself and like them, although I prefer my Kahles and Swarovskis...
jackG View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 13:06

Yes.  I used a Sightron SII 3-9 last year.  I hunted eastern MT, which is open country.  The scope was mounted on a Tikka T3 Lite in 270 WSM.   I only paid around 200 for it at SWH, which is amazing considering how good the Sightron glass is.  The scope performed perfectly.  The glass is sharp, adjustments worked properly and it held zero.  I filled several tags with that set up, the longest shot being around 320 yards.   I replaced it on the 270 with a Kahles (was looking for more magnification), and switched the Sightron to a different rifle.  In my experience, the Sightron SII is a good scope, and it's my understanding that the SII Big Sky is a step up. 

JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 15:50
I have two Sightrons, an Sll fixed 6x, and a 2x EER pistol scope.  I am happy with both and consider them a good buy.  I was very impressed with their CS when the pistol scope had a problem with the windage adjustment.  The dealer had his smith install a new scope on my pistol on the spot and I walked out the door a satisfied customer: no paperwork, no sending in, and no waiting!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 16:14

http://www.snipercentral.com/s3sightron.htm

Mel @ Sniper Central had a review of one. Welcome to The OT.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 17:23
Keep in mind that the review cheaptrick is pointing to is that of an earlier version of Sightron S3 (which he really should have knownDevil).  The scope has been redesigned since then (early in 2008) and the new Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LR is better in every regard: 100 MOA of adjustment range, redesigned optical system, improved coatings, more consistent eye relief, etc.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 17:31
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Keep in mind that the review cheaptrick is pointing to is that of an earlier version of Sightron S3 (which he really should have knownDevil). 

Oh..well...yes...yes of course I knew that! Embarrased 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 18:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Keep in mind that the review cheaptrick is pointing to is that of an earlier version of Sightron S3 (which he really should have knownDevil). 

Oh..well...yes...yes of course I knew that! Embarrased 

Of course you did.  I would never doubt you, as you well knowTrust%20Me.

ILya
fordvg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2008 at 23:04
I'm looking for a scope, I can shoot out to 1,400 yds. with.  I was also looking at a Nightforce NXS 5.5x-22x-56mm and or a Leopold 8.5x-25x-50mm.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2008 at 23:26
Originally posted by fordvg fordvg wrote:

I'm looking for a scope, I can shoot out to 1,400 yds. with.  I was also looking at a Nightforce NXS 5.5x-22x-56mm and or a Leopold 8.5x-25x-50mm.

OK I give up that leaves me thinking you better be looking for a bullet you can get out to 1400yds so what caliber are we talking about because you are going to need considerable internal adjustment and while the Leu Mk4 4.5-14 has 100 moa the 8.5-25 only has 75 moa so you better jump to the Nightforce for its 100 moa in the 5.5-22.  And eaven 100 moa may not be enough depending on caliber.  What pray tell is out at 1400 yds that you cant walk closer to?

Badger plus moa base and rings will be a must.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
fordvg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fordvg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2008 at 00:10
LOL, I will be shooting a M310R .408 CheyTac with a 40 moa base with the Nightforce NXS 5.5x-22x-56mm on the .408CT rifle to 2,500 yds.  The other rifle is a DPMS in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 20 moa Nightforce base with another Nightforce NXS on it.  If the place where I buy the CheyTac is still having the deal if you buy a M310 rifle the Nightforce scope and rings are free.  If that is the case I will be buying a second Nightforce for the DPMS rifle.  I love shooting long range, the farther the better.Big%20Smile  It is a Marine thing. LOL 

fordvg (Med.Ret.USMC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic