OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Time out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time out
    Posted: September/24/2008 at 22:15
I am about to take a 6-8 week time out to have some hardware replaced just below my knee plus cadever ACL and PCL ligaments installed----jealous --huh?
So, I told the Mrs I need some new magazine subscriptions to help kill some time , and wouldn't ya know, I got the look...."Don't you already get enough ( magazines that is )? " Let's see-
Sports Afield                                    Aviation Week
Guns and Ammo                              Aviation History
Rifle magazine                                 super mart hunting catalogs all earmarked up
Successful Hunter                            NRA magazines
Shotgun News                                 Cycle World
Motor Trend                                     Field and Stream
NAHC magazine                               Hunting magazine
Bear Hunting                                   Air Force Assoc mag

Am I missing any "gotta haves" ??Loco Any favorites out there to help me fill the time. thanksBig%20Grin

Edited by martin3175 - September/24/2008 at 22:56
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 22:18

Playboy, for the articles of course.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 22:24
tried that a few years back, and ...well....wasn't a good idea...and the article thing didn't work
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 02:26
How about some bow hunting magazines eaven if you dont bow hunt you will benefit from the info on hunting.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 06:31
how about rifle, reloader, rifleshooter, shooting times
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 06:49
 How about a couple GOOD book suggestions:
    "The Wilderness of Denali" by Charles Sheldon
    "One Man's Wilderness-An Alaskan Odyssey" by Sam Keith(from the jounals and photos of Richard Proennke)

Good luck with your op and recovery.

til later
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 06:57

Ditto the book idea.

Any of the books by Wilber Smith.  My favourites:
Birds of Prey, Monsoon, River God
God save the Empire!
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 08:40
Darn Martin .... sorry to hear that buddy .... you sure a portable dvd player and some vids would'nt help too ?  You know ...... LOL   Hunting techniques videos .... Whistling   Seriuosly though ... the last time I was laid up my wife went to the library and got me a bunch of those type videos and PBS dinosaur specials .... beat watching reruns and Oprah ....

Edited by mercenary1947 - September/25/2008 at 08:42
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 08:50
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

how about rifle, reloader, rifleshooter, shooting times

yeah - Shooting Times - I let my subscription end ..Gonna renew online now-thanks and splurge on Riflehunter + Bowhunter also ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 08:58
Books -- not a bad idea either..I could grab a couple .. Plus I have a few unread aviation history books from when I was laid up in 2007 for 8 months from the cause of this mess ( coworkers also hooked me up back then with Netflix--turned out to be a Godsend ) . What I don't have are any good Africa  ( even though I lived in South Africa back in 84/85) adventure style books. ....hmmm

Edited by martin3175 - September/25/2008 at 09:15
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 09:24
I would get a playstation or an Xbox then get some of the hunting games.  Some of them are pretty dang fun.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 09:26
 Yea I don't read mags or books much anymore .... watch the vids . And not that I'm saying to copy any .... but have made quite a nice library of good ones . A pack of blank dvd's and there ya go !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 09:43

I like Forbes, Fortune, and The Wall Street Journal.  SoF, Swat and Fine Home Building are also favorites.  The Journal will give you something new every day.

I'd think about CS Lewis and Ayn Rand for books on CD.  If you have problems sleeping then get Alan Grenspan on cd! One of the dramitized version of the Bible on CD is good for healing.

Alan Furst is a good read.  Start with his first book.  Capsticks books are a good read. Raymond Chandler is classic! I like Nior, but you need to learn to ballance it with some thing else. I'd get John Maxwell and Jim Cramer for some ballance. Some Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Cosby CD's  And Classic Comedy stuff on dvd will help you heal faster. 

Laughter promotes healing. One lady I have met job is to travel to nursing homes and do laughter sessions.  She does things like exercises where people just go Ha-ha-Ha and Ho-Ho-Ho for a couple of minutes at a time.  She gets impressive results with the Alzhimers patiences.

Sales training stuff like Zig Ziglar, will also help you heal faster. Look for Og Mandino, David Schwartz, Dale Carninge and others.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 10:02
Stephen Hunter books are also great reads.  Earl and Bob Lee Swagger are the bomb.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 10:03
thanks ..keep'em coming ...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 10:46
The title is ..
Another Look At Life From A Deer staind " going deeper into the woods"

By Steve Chapman.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 10:54

Christmas%20List               

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 11:32

Peter Hathaway Capstick's books are absolutely great, if you like African adventure stories.  Try reading "Death in the Long Grass" as a first choice.  (You can skip most of the biographies he's written, though.) 

He was absolutely the best African adventure writer of our time.  Some writers and professional hunters have questioned his PH credentials and experiences.  However, the PH's certainly owe him thanks for the current high level of interest in African hunts.  
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 11:41
what about Outdoor Life?
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 12:46
Tony Hillerman is good.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic