OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Target
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Super Sniper-Which One?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwbgtb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Sniper-Which One?
    Posted: September/24/2008 at 14:59
New to this board, but have been reading for some time now and need some input from people that have used these scopes.
I have a M1A that I am going to use on paper only down here in SW Florida and the distance will be from 100-300 yards.
When I purchased the rifle, it had an older Leupold 3-9 on it and that was okay for me at 100 yards, but I am concern about out to 3oo yards. I am starting to have old eyes here!!!
The question that I have for all of you, is which scope? The 10x or 10x side, 16x or the 20x.
I do appreciate any input from you that have the experience with these scopes.
Thanks,
Mike
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 15:02
10X. would be just the ticket as for the focus that depends on what fits you better. I like the rear better and I have one of both, but thats just me.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:35
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I, like Bigdaddy, think the 10x is the best all around SS, but if your shooting solely static targets @ 100-300 yards, you may want to consider the 16x Super Sniper, Sir.

I have grown to love the rear focus on the Super Snipers.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:45
In short the style SS is mostly preferencial, the magnification is dependent upon application. Just as was said for purely range target duty the 16, or the 20 will be fine. I'm unsure though I believe that only the 10x has the option for side focus anyway, so if there is the liklihood of going to the 16 or 20x that might be a moot issue.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mwbgtb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwbgtb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 08:58
Thanks for the replys on the Super Sniper. The 3-9 that I currently have now is fine at 100 yards, but I know I will need something bigger for the 200-300 yard mark. I am not sure if the 10x will work with these old eyes.
Again, thanks for your help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 17:02
Please keep us in the loop on what you end up with.

bfm1851 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfm1851 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 06:51
For what it's worth I just put a SS 20X on my Tikka .308. It replaced a SS 10X same reason as you old eyes. Don't humt so field of veiw is of no concern. went to the range yesterday and had no problems seeing .308 holes at 200yds. Saw good enough to shot three five shot groups all less then 1moa. Not bad as I was working up loads and all three loads were different! Excellent
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 07:02
Thanks for the Range Report "B" Excellent
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2008 at 14:50
Originally posted by bfm1851 bfm1851 wrote:

For what it's worth I just put a SS 20X on my Tikka .308.

Which model of Tikka?
A friend has a T3 Lite?? .308 stainless that is crazy accurate and a bolt that runs smooth as butta!  Wink

bfm1851 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfm1851 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 06:29
Cheaptrick, it's a tikka T3 stainless. Second tikka other one is a .223. both have super smooth actions and are far more accurate then I. Had it threaded and installed a brake. Not sure why, maybe cause I could. As I stated had the SS 10X until I put on the SS 20X. Both scopes are great. Clear glass, very repeatable and tough. Maybe not a $12-1500 scope but way better then the $300 they ask. Can't go wrong either, buy one if it does not work for you, you can always get most of your money back. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2008 at 16:01
Originally posted by bfm1851 bfm1851 wrote:

buy one if it does not work for you, you can always get most of your money back. Smile

I couldn't agree more.
Hookset View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2008 at 00:37
I have a SS 16X on my Savage 12 FV in .223 Rem.  I LOVE this scope!  Great glass, tough and the cool factor is way up there, LOL!
evo1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2009 at 10:15
I have the 16x on my Savage 12BVSS (.308), it's a nice match.
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 10:39
 I went with the 20's with my old eyes I can pick out the holes at 200 with the 308 and will be testing the 223 in a few days. Oh yea my eyes are 57yrs. and at 16x it was a litttle blurry but with a much cheaper scope.
froggy
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 11:52
With old eyes and punching paper only BRING ON the magnification!  The higher the better!
I am current using a 6-24X50mm for out to 300yds with my 223 and it makes a world of difference in groupings when you can actually see them!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 15:35
I use a SS 20X from 50 feet for indoor winter .22 matches out to 1000 yds at High Power Long range matches.  Served me just fine at the F Nationals last week.
Bob
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 15:40
Originally posted by Boblor Boblor wrote:

I use a SS 20X from 50 feet for indoor winter .22 matches out to 1000 yds at High Power Long range matches.  Served me just fine at the F Nationals last week.
Bob

That is a pretty impressive comment right there.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 15:58
Sure is!!!..... X20 at 50ft?  I would be tempted to shoot behind me! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Boblor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boblor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 17:01
Bud,
The SS fixed power scopes actually focus down to 33 feet.  The reticle is a bit thick for indoor .22 but usable.  I also use a NSX Night Force for F tr shooting but I changed rifles this season and the Night Force was just a bit to heavy and put me over weight in F tr class with the new rifle.  I figured I may as well try the SS 20X and it worked just fine all season.  The NF does have a shaper image as you would expect from a scope that costs much more than a SS.  I ran a box test on the SS and it tracked beautifully and a 1 MOA movement did move a true 1.047 inch.   The Night Force does have more distinct  clicks so I do have to be more careful when moving the turrets on the Super Sniper.    The parallax adjustment on the SS works well, but you have to remember to make very minor adjustments to the parallex ring to obtain the best results.  But this is the same on the NF and a Nikon tactical scope I own.  The NF is better in dim light but I am a target shooter and poor lighting is generally not a problem.
I am re barreling my rifle this winter and that will bring the weight down a bit and I will go back to my NF as I like the NPR1 reticle in the NF a bit better than the mil dot in the SS.  But I did not feel at a disadvantage at all this past season using the 20X SS.  I came in 11th overall in F tr class at the Nationals and won the 1000 yd. F tr class match on Saturday.  Really for the price you are getting a very good product in the 20X Super Sniper.  To me, a corny name but a very good product.

Bob Lorenz

Bob Lorenz
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2009 at 17:38
ExcellentExcellentExcellent  Excellent!  Congratulations on your win Saturday! and placing 11th overall, that is NO SMALL accomplishment!   ExcellentExcellentExcellent   Do you give lessons?  
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic