OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold Boone & Crockett recticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doug barto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold Boone & Crockett recticle
    Posted: September/22/2008 at 23:39
I recently bought a Leupold VX-III scope with a Boone & Crockett reticle for my wife's 243 Remington 700.  In the sighting in instructions it says to sight in using the large triangle but doesn't include further detail on how.  There are two triangles on the power adjustment.  Is there an adjustment to set or a way to lock in the large triangle when sighting in?  I e-mailed Leupold but got no reply.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Dbar7  
doug barto
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 00:26
the triangles represent the trajectory of 2 groups of cartridges based upon the properties of a second focal plane's ability to raise the poi when the power is reduced.  thus flatter shooting cartridge groups such as your 243 would use the higher power or large triangle.  a cartridge having more drop can be given the same poi on the reticle by reducing the power. just set it on the triangle and sight in for this at 200 yds. then the bars will correspond to that cartridges drop and the various ranges for the boone and crockett reticle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 10:20
no thanks,  I'll stick to the plex reticle!
take em!
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 11:19
Welcome to Optics Talk DB.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 11:32
Originally posted by doug barto doug barto wrote:

I recently bought a Leupold VX-III scope with a Boone & Crockett reticle for my wife's 243 Remington 700.  In the sighting in instructions it says to sight in using the large triangle but doesn't include further detail on how.  There are two triangles on the power adjustment.  Is there an adjustment to set or a way to lock in the large triangle when sighting in?  I e-mailed Leupold but got no reply.

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Dbar7  

Personally I would call Leupold. Their support is very good and you would be get more thorough answers to your questions vs. email.

1-800-LEUPOLD (538-7653)
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 19:35
If you go on the Leupold Web site they have a video download that explains all of their ballistic reticles.  The two triangles are for two groups of rounds that have different velocities.   Basically, if you use the triangle on high magnification for flat shooting rounds and the small triange for rounds that drop more.  I just got a varmint reticle (and went thru the same process).  You can also download and print out the ballistic reticle guide...which should be included in the scope.  It's not as complicated as it seems....once you 'figger' it out.  If you want send me a pm and I'll help you all I can.
tlanders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 16:13
I am thinking of buying the VX-III 4.5-15X40 Long range with the varmit reticle. Is this a good one or has anyone had problems with it?

Teddy
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 18:57
I looked in to them also, but ended up with a Rapid-Z Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 for pretty close to the same money. After recieving the scope, I'm glad I did. Some say it's not thin enough for varmints, but with my caliber, I run about 11x, and the reticle doesn't nearly cover a milk jug at 700 yards. I think it would be great for all types of hunting. I have never used the Leupy varmint reticle though.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tlanders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2008 at 20:04
Thanks Trigger. I have been reading another thread on this site and since I posted the above came up with the same choice that you choose. Haven't bought it yet, I am still reading comments between the two. One comment against the Zeiss was the length, weight, and speed of target acquistion compared to the Leupold. No problem for you? The rifle I am putting this on is a 6.8 SPC LWRC AR15. Should work great up to 350/400 yards and I do want to hunt varmits in addition to deer in the Ozarks. I saw a 10 point buck this morning about 180 yards from my front porch. Maybe I should just shoot it with my 1904 Winchester '94 30-30 with iron sights!!! Nah, I want to use my new AR!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!

Teddy
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2008 at 21:08

Mine is mounted on a Weatherby Vanguard .270 wsm. No problem for me. If used correctly, it has been spot on out to 700 yards. I got an 800 yard mark to try yet, just don't have any ground that long. I can't speak for the target acquisiton, because I don't know how you could complain about it. I see something, range it, select the appropriate mark, and squeeze. Easy. I don't know what load you are shooting, but a 110 gr. hpbt would be good out to 600, but only on about 6x.  You might have to find a load, and go to Zeiss's calculator on their website to see what reticle to use, and at what power.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
tlanders View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 08:54
Thanks for the response. I am confused about your comment that 6X would be appropriate for 600 yds when you are using 11X for 700 yds? Your .270 WSM should shoot a little flatter than my 6.8 SPC but the magnification should be about seeing the target right?

Teddy
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2008 at 09:29
There is nothing mysterious about the varmint or Boones and Crockett reticule at all. Nor how to use it. The principle is that as you turn the magnification up or down, so the cross hairs of those below the center hair will move further apart or closer together. The trick is to know how far apart each cross hair is at each power setting. To do this take a piece of paper with a 1 inch grid on it, then set it up at 100yds. Then start at the maximum magnification and note where each lower crosshair sits. Turn it down to 20x 15x 10x 8x or whatever.
This is my cheat sheet for the Leupold 8,5-25X varmint reticule:
Reticule 25X 20X 15X 10X
0 0 0 0 0
1 1.5 2 3 4
2 3.3 4.5 5 9
3 6 7.8 9 0
4 8 10 13 0
Firstly the scope has to be zeroed on the 0 reticule at 100yds. You also have to know your bullet trajectory.
So let us say my bullet drops 4inches at 200yds and my target is 200yds away. 4/2 = 2inches at 100yds. My cheat sheet tells me that at 20xpower my first reticule is 2 inches below my zero reticule. So if I aim dead on using a 20x setting and the first reticule, I will be right on the money.
Say I drop 24 inches at 400yds. 24/4=6. My cheat sheet tells me that at 25x and the third reticule I will be 6 inches high at 100yds and therefore dead on the money at 400yds.
Forget the triangles and make your own cheat sheet.
So

Edited by 8shots - October/10/2008 at 09:29
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2008 at 08:42
Originally posted by tlanders tlanders wrote:

Thanks for the response. I am confused about your comment that 6X would be appropriate for 600 yds when you are using 11X for 700 yds? Your .270 WSM should shoot a little flatter than my 6.8 SPC but the magnification should be about seeing the target right?

Teddy

The reticle in the Conquest is in the second focal plane, which means the reticle isn't doesn't get bigger with more magnification. These scopes were designed to be used with many different calibers using different magnifications to place the marks where needed. I am not very good at explaining this without showing it to you. I looked up on Zeiss's website your caliber, and what power the scope would make the reticle markings true. Check out the calculator on Zeiss's website, and read their explanation of how it works. I'm not smart enough to explain it myself. Basically more magnification makes the marks appear closer together for flatter shooting calibers.

Edited to add:

Check out this thread. Pretty good explanation of how it works

Edited by trigger29 - October/11/2008 at 08:58

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic