OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 50mm vs. 40mm worth $100

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 50mm vs. 40mm worth $100
    Posted: September/22/2008 at 18:54
I have decided on the Zeiss Conquest for the scope that will go on my Weatherby Vanguard 7mm REMINGTON Mag.  I now have the dilemma of choosing between the 3-9X40mm or the 3-9X50mm.  This is the most I want to spend on a scope at this point, but can't beside if the 50mm obj. is worth $100 and if i'll even notice much of a difference(light).  Could I get some input from you guys on these two reasons?

Thanks
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 18:59
I would go with the 40mm.  With 9x as the max mag you will still have almost 4.5mm of exit pupil at that power which is plenty for any day time shooting.  If you are using it for low light you will most likely want the power turned down anyway and it will have plenty of exit pupil at 5 or 6x for low light shooting.  Plus a 40mm can be mounted lower on the gun.  If it were a scope over 12x I would possibly go with 50mm but not for a 3-9x

Edited by supertool73 - September/22/2008 at 18:59
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 19:05
thanks

and i will add that i do a lot of low light hunting in my hunting area.  and just to add this for the heck of it, i hunt in hard woods, heavily covered pine tree areas, and corn fields that shots can end up being up to 300-400yds. ( not that i would make that long of a shot like that everyday)
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 19:09
Do you use the higher powers a lot?  If you do then 50mm may be better.  But even at night the pupil in your eye will only get to around 6mm so anything above that will not provide any more brightness.  So just take the max magnification you think you will use in your hunting situations and have it divided by the objuctive size to see what you need.  If you went with the 50 you could pretty much use it all the way up to 9x in low light and still have it be sharp and bright.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 19:36
i probably usually use 4-6 power but during a lot of light maybe even more (i guess i really dont pay much attention)

will the 50mm make a noticable light difference on powers 4-6?  in low and abundant light?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 19:37
No, at those powers you will not be able to tell a difference.  Really the only time you will is during extreme low light on 8 or 9x, then the 50mm will be brighter.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 22:41
I say get the 40 and put the $100 towards a great pair of binocs!
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 18:01
40mm objective is the way to go for you.

ILya
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 20:47
I was going thru the same decision erlier this year and found a new in the box 50 mm at a gun show for $425 out- the- door.  I already had the higher mounts as well as a cheek pad for the scope being replaced (an old Vari x2 Leupold ) so I bought it and  have sighted in my rifle with it.  It is great on the range , and this season I will have a chance to see how it is at dusk in the field.  Good hunting!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 22:39
good for you JP....... let us know what you think after you get a chance to hunt with it!
take em!
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 06:36
Originally posted by JPinSC JPinSC wrote:

I ... found a new in the box 50 mm ... It is great on the range , and this season I will have a chance to see how it is at dusk in the field. 
I am sure you will enjoy the scope. Just remember Supertool73's advice about what is required to take advantage of the larger aperture.

If you set the scope to 5x and your eye pupil is 6mm, as regards brightness, the scope will perform more like it has a 30mm, not a 50mm, aperture.

Tom

SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 21:02
without trying to confuse anybody, i will mention that there is a particular spot that i hunt that i use high powers like 9.  i hunt this spot quite often.  it is a corn field.  also it is usually low light.  maybe this will be better for the 50mm
??????????
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 21:10
If you will be at 9x in low light a lot then I would say yes you might want the 50mm.  It is all based on your needs.  Just remember with the 50mm you will have what you need in any light, with the 40 it will not be as good at the higher powers meaning mostly 8 and 9 in low light.  So just ask yourself do you need 9x in low light?  If you do then get that one, if not get the other one.  The 40 will mount lower and will not weight as much, which is always a plus but not if it interferes with your needs.

It all comes down to your hunting uses and needs.  In my experience when the light gets low I turn my scopes down to 3 or 4x, but that is my preference. 

SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 18:58
i have the vanguard that happens to have raised cheek piece, and i'm not too familiar with the height of the scope, what is going to be a downside to higher mounts?
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 15:24
can anyone answer this last question?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 15:30
As long as you can get a proper cheek weld to get your eye in line with the scope you will be fine.  If the scope is to high, then your head will just kind of be floating or just barely touching your cheek to the stock.  If that happens then your consistency from shot to shot will go out the door.  Being a good marksman is all about consistancy.  Yes people do it all the times with their rifles set up wrong, but to be constantly accurate requires you gun to be set up so everytime you mount it to your shoulder it is the same. 

I have no idea of telling you how your will be set up with either scope.  With the 40mm you will be able to use low rings and with the 50mm you will probably need medium rings. 

Edited by supertool73 - September/26/2008 at 15:31

JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 15:40
When I initially went to 50mm I needed to change to higher rings.  I find that the cheek pad on top of my raised cheek piece gives me a good cheek-weld. (I killed many a deer without the pad, but  since installing it I have fewer of the type of problems to which supertool73 rightfully makes reference.)
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 22:06
thanks guys, you have been a ton of help and either tomorrow or in the next few days I will have made the 40mm or 50mm decision.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2008 at 23:28
It depends on manufacturer of the rings and bases, the scope, and rifle when deciding what height rings you'll need. You may be able to install lower rings than you think.

On one of my m700's I've used high Leupold rings with reversible front base. My old Leupold 3-10x50 vari-xIII sat perfect with the front bell resting slightly above the barrel. Just  enough room for my Butler Creeks to be installed when it rained.

On another m700 I updated to Talley. I'm using extended front base and fixed low rings for my 2-12x50 Swaro. The scope actually sits a tad higher than my Leupold did on my other m700.

Today both rifles have Talley and Swaro's.

Thanks Doug (Tahqua) for the Talley recommendation!!  Thunbs%20Up

Edited by mike650 - September/26/2008 at 23:47
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SNIPE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNIPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 19:31
just today i talked to a guy that owns his own little rifle shop and asked him what he reccommended for my gun, and mentioned Zeiss.  He said that they are a joke and are worthless crappy scopes that are no longer good now that they are made in the USA and not europe.  he said your only paying for the name.  i somewhat would want to beleive him because he has been very good at what he does with his business and has been doing it for well over 20 years and everything he told me about guns and calibers was true(once i learned more and researched the item(s) is when i relized that he was right and what he had said was true)  he reccommended the sightron scopes, pentax scopes, and swarski(obviously...and out of price range)

has anybody else heard this or from experience beleive this???

so now i seem to be considering this and am currently at a dead end on my scope choice only as the rifle deer season draws nearer!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic