OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

glass bedding price?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: glass bedding price?
    Posted: September/21/2008 at 09:32
What should i expect to pay for glass bedding a rifle?  
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 10:50
It costs around $100 at Williams Gun Sight in SE MI.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 11:35
Like anything else it is going to be dependent upon how many decent gunsmiths are in that area. The more that offer that service the less expensive (to an extent) the work that can be had.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 17:32
Wood stocked or synthetic???
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 06:37
Wood stock, light barrel. I had to decide whether to free float the barell or to fully bed it.
I found a smith who will do a good pillar bedding for $160. I suppose that is about the right price. 
Thanks
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 17:04
$160 is a fairly reasonable charge for a pillar bedding job, provided the person doing the work knows how to do a proper, stress-free pillar bed.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 06:42
The smith and is the only one within my driving distance, but he smokes like a chimney.
I am afraid that he will stink up my rifle and case. What do you think?
Maybe i should mail it somewhere?

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 08:02
$140.00. This is for a  pillar bedding job.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 09:17
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

The smith and is the only one within my driving distance, but he smokes like a chimney.
I am afraid that he will stink up my rifle and case. What do you think?
Maybe i should mail it somewhere?

I know how you feel, one item from that enviroment can be a stink bomb in the house.
But!
If you trust his work then pick up a cheap gun sock and when he is done trash the sock. Then give the gun a take down clean and you should be good to go. Good Luck!

Edited by Sgt. D - September/24/2008 at 09:19
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 19:40
Or you could just do it yourself for around $30 - $40.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 22:53
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Or you could just do it yourself for around $30 - $40.

I'm with lucznik.  I bed the recoil lug and chamber area on my own guns and free float the barrel.

I'll post some pics but you guys have to promise not to badmouth my shadetree mechanic results.

I usually use the green box Acraglas and use Birchwood Casey gun stock wax as a release agent

This was a rebarrel to 338RUM  in an HS Precision stock.  The first thing is to remove the old bedding

then take the new barrel and see where it is hitting in the stock, you can see that the first place it is hitting is just forward of the chamber area

I found the best way to remove stock material, whether wood or synthetic, is with a Dremel tool and a coarse  sanding wheel

it will make some dust so cover your bench with an old sheet.  Keep putting the stock in and taking off material, including down in the recoil lug recess, until the barrel and action are only hitting behind the recoil lug and rearward

go slow and pay special attention to getting an even gap around the barrel

It is necessary to create a small gap on the front surface of the recoil lug in order to facilitate easier removal and reinsertion.  I use 2 layers of masking tape

coat all surface that may come into contact with the bedding compound that you do not want it to stick to with the release agent, even the action screw and top edges and sides of the stock

Then mix the bedding compound.  I usually mix too much but that is better than not having enough.  This time I decided to use MarineTex since I had heard that it worked well.  I put 2 packets of black dye in it (all that I had) but it still only turned it a light grey.  Put the estimated amount in front of the recoil lug area and fill up the recoil lug recess about 1/2 full

Insert the stock and tighten the action screws and let sit 24 hours.  Even after doing a dozen of these it is always a relief when the barrel and stock separate the next day.  If you turn the rifle upside down and stick the plastic end of a screwdriver down through the mag well to the bolt and give it a good rap it will separate (if you got enough release agent spread around and didn't miss any areas Big%20Grin). 

This action was pillar bedded so I torque the action screw down to 60#'s and I'm good to go.

Next time I'm going back to Acraglas though, it is easier to work with than MarineTex.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic