OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nightforce Varmint 3.5-15x56 with NP1 ret ANY GOOD
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nightforce Varmint 3.5-15x56 with NP1 ret ANY GOOD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nightforce Varmint 3.5-15x56 with NP1 ret ANY GOOD
    Posted: September/21/2008 at 06:54
Hey guys

Me again, i was just told i can get a Nightforce Varmint almost new in 3.5-15x56 NP-1.

Trouble is, i know nothing about the nightforce Varmints.

Are these Nightforce Varmints any good?

It is for my 223 Rem shooting up to 300 metres.

I dont know about the whole AO thing or the scope in general.

How would you rate them?

Compared to the Trijicon or the Conquest, how do they stack up?

Thanks.
Always learning
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 08:45
the np-1 reticle is better for big game hunting, not a good varmint, or target reticle, the "varmint" model  is the benchrest and are very good scopes, trijicon and conquest are not  in this league of scopes.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 10:56
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/

They don't make a dedicated "varmint" scope, but what they do make is a great scope for the money.

If I were you, I'd check with Nightforce and verify the serial number prior to putting down money on the scope. If the deal seems to too good to be true, it probably is.

If the bench is the "varmint" it is a great cope.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 16:00
Nightforce used to make the Varmint scopes, now they are the benchrest series.
Always learning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 16:26
If it is the real deal, it is a good scope.  You didn't mention price or source; if both are good, buy with confidence.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 18:19
Price on it is $800 Aussie Dollars.  It belongs to a friend of a friend.  My friend has vouched for him.  He said scope is in excellent condition virtually brand new condition.
Always learning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 19:06
If you don't want it, I'll take it.

Great scope.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 19:51
Cool but i just dont know of its looks.  Its not exactly a "good looking" scope in my opinion.

It is also fairly large compared to the Zeiss and the Trijicon.
Always learning
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 22:46
The real question is if the scope is right for your needs.  A 56 mm objective is larger than anything I have.  Not that I wouldnt consider one but if you have some reason that you are hesitant then fess up and tell us what you are thinking and what your needs are. My crystal balls are worn out.Whacko

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/21/2008 at 22:47

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 00:26
Hahahaha

Fair enough.  Honestly I just don’t know about the scope.  My reasons are as follows:

Its ugly (in my opinion anyway with the gloss finish) It is going on a Black and flat tan 223 heavy barrel with a 20” BBL.

Its long and heavy compared to others I have considered such as Trijicon or Zeiss by between 317grams to almost half a kg and about 5cm or 2” longer.

Plus, I really don’t know about the whole AO thing.  I can understand its use on a .22lr but for a 223 I just don’t know, I have never been a fan of the whole AO thing.

The rifle will be used for pest destruction ranging from bunnies on up to Roos with permits and a fair amount of shooting will also by done from a vehicle under spotlight.

The rifle will also double as my wifes rifle who is about 5ft 2” and doesn’t like heavy rifles.

Another question, with the benchrest/varmint series, do you adjust the whole ocular piece to adjust zoom like the NXS series or is it akin to the Leupold style where you just turn the ring not the whole ocular piece?

See, the price is good for the scope and from what I have heard the glass is good which is why I am considering it but I just don’t know………………  

Always learning

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 07:56
Parallax is not a function of bullet, it is a function of power (and distance, but Koshkin will probably correct me on that.)  If your scope has a power higher than 10X, it will probably have a parallax adjustment. 

It is a large, heavy scope, and not particularly pretty - but it is a damn nice bench scope and better than anything Leupold offers.

It might not be ideal for a .223 with a 20" barrel.

Get what you want.  This is a great bench scope but not the best hunting scope (due to size and weight.  It is very reliable and pretty good glass.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 08:01
I am in the process of setting up a Rem.XCR Compact .223 . It weighs 7.5# and has a 20" barrel. I can't see putting a Nightforce like that on it.

I went with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 zrf reticule and target turrets. I am going into it blind..........but I "think" it will make a nice package ! The scope only weighs 17.5 oz compared to like 30 oz on the Nightforce you mentioned !

We'll just have to see........should have it set up by the end of this week !

Edited by cbm - September/22/2008 at 08:03
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 08:32
Rancid, I get what you are saying re the glass, i have been looking into it but yeah i just dont like the look of it.  I understand the Paralax Adjustment but i dont like it on the bell.  I am not a fan of AO, i like side focus.

The rifle will not really be used for bench unless i am doing load development, otherwise it will be in the field.

CBM, great go on the Zeiss that is what i am looking at, that or a Trijicon.  As much as i hate Leupold (sorry to the fans) i know someone that can really look after me on them price wise so i am considering them if the price is tempting enough.

(The reason i dont like Leupold is due to there anti competitive nature.  They have allowed a local Aussie importer to gain a Monopoly on Leupold Scopes and even helped them Shut Bluebazooka down because they were selling Leupold for better prices than the local importer.  After some personal discussions regarding the above with Leupold, my thougts were confirmed.  Just i thought i would add that before the questions started.
Always learning
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 08:54
the zoom power works of the ring and has a euro type fast focus, rather than a collar tension stop like the nxs. the scope is heavier because it is made better than other scopes in its class-- the bench rest model is used by one of the usa shooting teams and gets a lot of airport testing. one of the reasons they use this scope. the extremely wide range of this scope on the ao and its biggest plus-- is that the tread pitch can be made finer than a side ao for very controlled refinement of the parallax. also the front ao has one less glass element in its contruction than a side ao, giving even better image control and quality. If you are not reloading and given the conditions and gun described I doubt if you can make full use of what this scope has to offer.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 16:15

Thanks for that Dale.

I will be reloading but i wont be using the rifle as my bench rifle. 

Always learning
Lee7588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee7588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 20:24
I own a nightforce 12 x 42 x 56 the glass is great. I have no complaints about the scope at all. It is larger than my Zeiss but it also has alot more zoom. You said your wife doesn't like heavy rifles, then I would think about changing out the heavy barrel. I personally don't look at how pretty the scope looks on the rifle, but how well it does what I need it to do.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 23:17
I hear what you are saying.  I bought the rifle with a brand new heavy barrel so that wil stay for now.

As for looks, i get you but the Nightforce just doesnt do it for me.  No doubt it is a great scope but not what i am looking for at the moment so sadly i passed it up.
Always learning
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic