OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My First Elk Hunt?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Elk Hunt?!?
    Posted: September/20/2008 at 20:49
I'm going on my first elk hunt.  We're going to Colorado (unit 65).  I've got a cow tag.  I understand that the area is mostly aspen, with open meadows.  I'm a whitetail hunter, so I'm used to waiting in an area that the deer will come to.  I understand that elk move much farther than deer and aren't nearly as easy to set up on.  Does anyone have any experience with this type of hunting???  I'd appreciate any tips that might increase my odds.  Thanks in advance!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 21:01
sometimes waiting for them, like taking a nap in the timber is the best way to see elk, sometimes walking all day is the way to go depends on pressure and weather among other things.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 22:03
Elk are extremely noisy in the mornings with the bulls bugling and the cows calling.  They also have strong smell and you can usually tell when you are in the general area of them.  Make sure you have some calls to use and know how to use them.  Lots of times you can call the bulls right to you if you get close enough to the herd.  The satellite bulls are always very curious and are easy to call in.  The herd bull will usually round up his heard and push them on if he feels to threatened so that is where the cow calls will come in.

You are right that elk run in very large areas.  One morning there can be hundreds of elk in one area and by evening they are nowhere to be found and they are 10 miles away. 

If you don't see them in the morning and are able to do spot and stalk then you pretty much just have to go to an area and do some spotting and them start humping it and hope to cut tracks and find them in the trees.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 22:13
dont forget to shoot the lead cow if you can, more than likely she will be a little older and will not have given birth that year or have been bread by any bulls, and will taste very good. +1 on the smell, its a very unique musty smell.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 23:56
When will you be going?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 05:09
I forgot to add I'll be there in the second rifle season, Oct 18-26th. 
snowflake77 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 00:31
They don't smell they stink. Those little mud holes are not a place to wash your face! Good luck on the hunt! I am heading to Idaho the Oct. 25th - Nov 7th for mule deer and elk. Gotta love this time of year.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:17
Best of luck on your hunt! Let us know how it goes for you.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 17:18
yeah and we want pictures too
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 22:51

Good Luck,,,Ditto on the pictures

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 23:34
Have fun!
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 12:53
Getting closer........ what are you taking?
take em!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 14:30

Rem. 700 in .300 win mag.  180gr Accubonds and E-tips.  Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x40 LR Varmint.  (and a Zeiss conquest as a back-up scope)

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2008 at 20:00
Sounds like a recipe for success!!  Don't forget a camera!!!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic