OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chris et all...help with rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chris et all...help with rings
    Posted: January/01/2005 at 19:26

Hi guys,

I need some advice on which mount/ring combo will fit my Weatherby.

It is the Mark V synthetic CARBINE (20" barrel)

I am mounting a scope with the following specs:

Magnification     1.5-6
Obj. Lens Dia. (mm)     42
Eye Relief (mm)     92-82
Weight (oz.)     16.6
Length (in.)    

I tried a Leupold 2-piece standard base...but it seems awkward due to the windage screws either needing to be reversed (in back of the chamber) or mounted in front of the chamber.

Would the Talley 1 Piece be a better solution for my set-up?

Please let me know ASAP....I'd like to get it put together for a hunt late this week.

Thanks in advance!!!!

P.S.

Chris or Brady...can you tell me if you have the Talley set-up in stock for my Weatherby?

Thanks

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2005 at 13:32
Talley lightweight ring/base combos for your gun are in stock and would work perfect.
georgiabowhuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2005 at 13:35

Chris,

If I order  today, can they be here (In Georgia) by Thursday?  Thanks for your help!

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2005 at 13:41

If you order today, we won't be able to ship until tomorrow because UPS does not run on Sunday and they should be there on Thursday going UPS Ground.  If it is real important I would highly suggest paying the little extra and go with UPS Second Day Air.  That will put them their on Wednesday and give them an extra day should something go wrong.

Also make sure you order the correct ones.  The new Weatherby Light Weight rifles have a different hole spacing when compared to the standard Weatherby rifles.

georgiabowhuntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgiabowhuntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2005 at 13:47

Chris,

My Weatherby is a "Made in the USA" Lightweight Synthetic Carbine.  I believe they were manufactured in 1996 or 1997.  However, I just bought mine brand new last month.  I am currently ordering the Talley mounts for the Lightweight that you guys offer.  I also took your advice and did the 2-day UPS.

I hope they work out.

Thanks for your help.  Please let me know if you think they will not work on my rifle.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2005 at 11:26

Weatherby has really screwed things up with their two different actions and the way they label their guns.  Their Magnum action and Light Weight action have the same hole spacing but the receivers are different heights and have a drastically different radius.  Rifles marked light weight do not necessarily use the light weight reciever....strange but true.

There is only one way to determine for sure what receiver you have and it is to count the lugs on your bolt.  Both have three rows of lugs.  The Light Weight reviver will have a bolt with 6 lugs (3 rows of 2).  The Magnum receiver will have 9 lugs (3 rows of 3).

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 18:59
If you want the very best for your Weatherby you should contact Buehler Mounts which were the original bases and rings that Roy Weatherby wanted for his hard recoiling guns. The fit and finish are SECOND to NONE. I just got a pair for a Husqvarna and I would say that quality control is equal to Conetrol. Enough said.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic