OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

one more time, Elite 3200 vs 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doetag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: one more time, Elite 3200 vs 4200
    Posted: September/19/2008 at 10:12

First let me say how helpful this site is, I use it alot when scope questions come up. I can useually get my answers from reading others post. But this time iam still undecided. Now trying to decide between a 3200 SA 3-10x50 or 4200 3-9x40.  So, Will the glass and coatings outperfom the larger objective. As i get older my eyes are not as good as they once was ,so I guess i'am wondering if brightnes would be better than clearity. Which would be better in low light situations. Thanks for any help.The scope will be going on a Rem 7600 in 358win. .

One Shot One Kill, unless you can get two or more to line up !!!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 11:17
They are very close in optical quality but without a substantial difference in glass quality the objective size will not make a substantial difference. It does make a difference in low light but, ONLY on higher powers when the exit pupil will begin to come into play. They are really close in price. They are both great scopes. The 4200 is going to more durable. I believe it is rated for 1,000 rounds of .375 H&H. So that could be a key role in the deciding factor.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by doetag doetag wrote:

First let me say how helpful this site is, I use it alot when scope questions come up. I can useually get my answers from reading others post. But this time iam still undecided. Now trying to decide between a 3200 SA 3-10x50 or 4200 3-9x40.  So, Will the glass and coatings outperfom the larger objective. As i get older my eyes are not as good as they once was ,so I guess i'am wondering if brightnes would be better than clearity. Which would be better in low light situations. Thanks for any help.The scope will be going on a Rem 7600 in 358win. .

..................The 4200 has an excellent durabilty rating. Actually, 10K rounds mounted on a 375 H&H.

For your rifle, the 3-9x40 4200 would be the better choice imo. The extra 10mm of 3200 50mm objective diameter, may allow for a very small fraction of more light, if any at all.

Your .358 Remy 7600 is a short to medium range rifle designed for closer quarters timber hunting and brush work. Although a 3x9 can be used, that high a variable is a little over magnification for the .358. If your eyes require the extra magnification, that is another matter which can justify the 3x9.

Take a look at the straight tubed, lower variable 4200. Your FOV`s will be greater on the low end which will allow for faster aiming and target acquisition. That 4200 will still allow enough light for just about any situation and have enough magnification for 300 yards shots............Just a few extra thoughts to make things more difficult...Clown

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 13:03
A 358 Winchester in a Remington 7600! That sounds like a neato rifle!!!   Get the 4200....!
head hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 20:17
I would go with the 4200. I'm fixing to mount my second one. The first one has never disappointed me.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 21:03
4200    Thunbs%20Up
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 20:40

another vote for 4200

sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2008 at 22:26
+1 for the 4200.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 05:25
4200 Elite   Gotta love that smiley.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 06:58
Sorry to go against the Bushy but have you considered an Aimpoint or Eotech for the 7600?

I had a 7615 223 with an Eotech and loved it.

I know your eyes may not be up to it but dont aimpont have some fixed 3 or 4 power scopes or am i wrong?

Always learning
doetag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doetag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2008 at 19:36
Thanks Guys. I guess it will be the 4200 . I had failed to mention that i have 3-9x40 in the 3200  and an 8-32x40 in the 4200 and have campared them in late evening ,on the same power , but just couldn't tell much differance between the two. That's  what got me to thinking the larger objective might be brighter. Chris  mentioned durability ,not that i dont think the 3200 series are not tought scopes and would take it , but less than a hundred rounds have proved fatal for a "good cheap scope" on this rifle already . I'll go with the 4200
One Shot One Kill, unless you can get two or more to line up !!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic