OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS Scope Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iamsniper1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS Scope Rings
    Posted: September/18/2008 at 12:27
Have Remington 700 Sendero 300WINMAG,using a Picatinny style rail with 20moa and plan on mounting a SS10X42 scope,what is the lowest height rings recommended?
Believe none of what you hear
Half of what you read
And all of what you see.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 12:31
Low or maybe even extra low. 
I would check out the burris xtreme tactical rings.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-4649-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Low or maybe even extra low. 
I would check out the burris xtreme tactical rings.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-4649-633-burris-xtreme-tactical-30mm-rings.aspx

Plus 1!!

Those Sin-dero's are shooters! Good luck! Sharp%20Shooter
RU Grendel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RU Grendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 21:28
I like the burris rings. I have a a SS 10X42 with a 16moa rail on. My rings are the High model. Depending on the scope, I would reconsider low rings

RU Grendel
24" 6.5 Grendel Overwatch
SS 10x42
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RU Grendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 21:31
ok now that I actually read and registered the entire question, you are using a SS. I would atleast use medium rings. The 20moa rail is a little higher than mine, but the high rings work perfect for my rifle
RU Grendel
SS 10x42
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2008 at 21:37
Yours is an AR his is a 700 bolt gun.  Completely different as far as what is needed for rings.  You need yours alittle higher to achieve a cheek weld with an AR.  He needs it as low as possible to get a cheek weld with a bolt gun.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2008 at 15:46
Originally posted by RU Grendel RU Grendel wrote:

I like the burris rings. I have a a SS 10X42 with a 16moa rail on. My rings are the High model. Depending on the scope, I would reconsider low rings

Very nice AR!! Did you build it?
Who makes a 16 MOA rail??

Edited by cheaptrick - September/22/2008 at 15:46
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2008 at 12:02
Originally posted by Iamsniper1 Iamsniper1 wrote:

Have Remington 700 Sendero 300WINMAG,using a Picatinny style rail with 20moa and plan on mounting a SS10X42 scope,what is the lowest height rings recommended?

You should be fine with lows - depending on whose low rings you use.

Also, I'd recommend you get good rings, not the cheapest stuff you can find.  My 700 300WM recoils with some authority and bad rings won't take the pounding.  I recommend badger; if that is out of budget, I'd run Warne Tacticals or Seekins (Warnes available here at SWFA.) Others have had success with Burris rings as well as leupold Mk4s.

I know badger and Seekins low rings will work (from experience) and don't see a badger or Seekins "extra-low."
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RU Grendel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2008 at 23:09
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by RU Grendel RU Grendel wrote:

Very nice AR!! Did you build it?
Who makes a 16 MOA rail??

Thanks. No, I just added the accessories. I do want to build a grendel in the 18" range though. Alexander Arms sells a 16MOA rail. I can't seem to find it on their site, so you might have to call them. http://www.alexanderarms.com
RU Grendel
SS 10x42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic