OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold problem
    Posted: September/17/2008 at 09:52
Hello all,
                Two days ago i bought a new scope(Leupold riffleman VX-I), And bore sighted it myself, with a laser bore sight. I should of been on the paper @100 yards,hitting high in the dirt back stop. so i moved to 25yards to try and get somewhat close to the bullseye, after removing the bolt and doing the bore sight through the barrel, when i shot the first shot it was'nt even on the paper? Heres my real problem on the evelation adjustment i have to move it up in order to go down, is this right?and the same for left to right? Iam used to chasing the arrow is this normal.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 10:37
   Make SURE the dot your sighting on at 25yds is small enough to be centered in the bbl. Move your scope adjustments opposite of what is called for and adjust the crosshairs to be 1" low of center at 25yds. Unless there's an equipment problem,you'll be on the paper at 100yds.

til later

OH! Excuse the bad manners. WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Edited by 300S&W - September/17/2008 at 10:38
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 11:13
Are you saying that the dials have been put on backwards?  The arrows pointing in the wrong direction? Leupold will fix it for you....
Daworz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 12:20
Yes thats what iam saying, I think they are They look right, But i have never looked at nother Leupold scope as this one. But the way it is now is that if my bullet hit low left, Then i have to move up and to the right? Is the right?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 12:30
 If you're trying to change the bullet impact point,yes you want to go up and right. I'm looking at a Vari-Xll 3-9x40 and both the move "up"arrow and move "right" arrow point counterlockwise.

til later
Daworz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 12:58
300 S&W,
                 Thanks for the reply! Iam so confused by looking at the turets, on this Leupold, I had a Bushnell trophy on the gun before buying this one and it would show you on the arrows which way to turn for up and down? But as i stated if iam hitting low left, i would think you would have to move it up and right! but the way it is i move it left and down to get closer to the bullseye? Weired Huh?
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 13:30
I think somewhere here recently someone said that their Leupold dials were also backwards.......send it back for a fix.......shouldn't take long.....Bandito
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 13:42
that blows..... I'd take it back and exchange it!
take em!
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 14:42
    If your bore sighting by looking through a stationary barrel and centering in the barrel a stationary dot that is 25yds away,you want your scope crosshairs 1" low of the center of the dot. Don't be concerned with what's printed on the turrets. Just turn them to get the crosshairs 1" low of the dot center while the barrel is held stationary with the dot centered in it. 
   If your shooting at a target and need to move the bullet impact point,move the scope adjustments in the direction shown on the turrets. If the bullet hole is low and left of your desired point of impact,you need your barrel to point up and right. "Up" on the scope actually means "barrel/point of impact up" not the crosshair,it's going down so you'll raise the barrel. "Right" on the scope actually means "barrel/point of impact"to the right not the crosshair,it's going left so you'll move the barrel to the right.

til later

Edited by 300S&W - September/17/2008 at 14:46
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 17:41
300 is right; make sure you aren't confusing the direction the crosshairs move when you adjust your scope with point of impact corrections.  If you need your point of impact on target to move up and to the right, your crosshairs will move down and to the left in order to make that correction.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 23:40
 More leupold quality control .... going down the toilet .....  Thumbs%20Down
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 06:44
Well. I'm so confused now, I would have to be there to figure out exactly what you are talking about...........

Daworz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 14:44
Hey guys,
                Does anyone have a  Leupold VX-I scope they could look at and tell me what the ajustments look like on theres, because both of my show Right and Left on both not Up and Down on either, and also theres a ring with numbers that just spins on both, I cant make sence of the manual either, and i have writen Leupold but have'nt got any responce? Sorry to be such a Greenhorn, but never owned a nice scope? And if it wrong iam short on time i leave on a hunt in a few weeks.

Dave
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 15:33
 That's definitely not right and don't worry about the greenhorn stuff,we gotta get ya up and running. The adjustment on top of the scope(out from the power indicator mark)should resemble this  D<0>U and the adjustment on the side should resemble this L<0>R.  The spinning rings are for keeping track of your original sight-in if you wish to and aren't of concern now. Are you saying you have no elevation adjustment at all?

Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 16:40
If I were you I would take the scope back to store, point out the foul up to the manager, and just trade it even up for a Bushnell 3200 3X9....the price should be the same.....and it's a better scope!!!  Bandito
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 17:47
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

If I were you I would take the scope back to store, point out the foul up to the manager, and just trade it even up for a Bushnell 3200 3X9....the price should be the same.....and it's a better scope!!!  Bandito

++
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Daworz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daworz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 17:48
ya both say L<0>R.
head hunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote head hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 20:03
I think I would take that baby back to the store for a refund and either get a elite 3200 or a nikon team primos. I'm starting to turn into a bushnell and zeiss fan.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 21:00

If the only problem was that the elevation turret was marked wrong I don't see why the scope wouldn't work.  Down would be clockwise(marked L< on your top adjuster) and up would be counterclockwise(marked > R on your top adjuster).  It's up to you if you want to give it a try but you paid good money for that scope and you shouldn't be having this hassle. Maybe just get yor money back and let us know how much ya got to spend on a scope. That way we can MAKE SURE you get the best bang for your buck(or doe).

til later  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic