OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope on a .22lr?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope on a .22lr?
    Posted: September/17/2008 at 01:14
Hi guys its the FNG here again.

Thought i would ask and may already know the answer but you guys are more experienced than I so what the heck.

I want to swap the scope on my little .22lr Marlin heavy Barrel.

Currently it has a Nikko Stirling Nighteater Platinum 4-16 (1" tube)

The scope has served me well and continues to do ok BUT looking through my other scopes (Zeiss Victory T and Kahles plus getting a Trijicon) when i go back to the .22lr i really struggle withthe optical quality.  It gets frustrating.

I am not saying i want a mint scope but something decent that doesnt weigh much and has decent glass on it.

My thoughts are to go for the Bushy 3200 in the 5-15 but thought i would ask just in case.  I have B Square mounts for it.
Always learning
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 02:31
I own that Nighteater (soon to be ebayed) and take my word when I say that a huge step up is anything Weaver. They are really super popular with the rimfire community because they offer very good quality for a good price. You didn't say what you plan to do with it but let me give some examples. I have their RV9 3-9x32 w/AO on my 10/22 Super Stock, a Weaver V24 6-24x42 w/AO on my tack driving light weight 10/22. And a Weaver T24 24x40 on my CZ453 Varmint, but it will soon be moving the Anschutz MPR that I bought today. Big%20Grin

If you're looking for something in the 4-16x range I recommend the Weaver V16 4-16x42 with your favorite reticle. If you prefer smaller and lighter then the RV9 is sweet.

Don't get me wrong I own and love my Busnell Elite 4200 and 3200 and my Nikon Monarchs etc for my centerfires. But for a Rimfire it's really hard to beat Weavers and I wouldn't step up in price unless you really need Bushy 4200 light gathering.

Edited by sholling - September/17/2008 at 02:33
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 05:19
Hmmmmmm interesting.

All i really use my .22lr for is sniping bunnies.  I find a nice spot about 100 metres, lay down and wait for them to appear.

I take a few shots at them when walking also.

I was thinking in the >4  <16 range.

That got me thinking..........

I found the following:

- Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 Good glass and comes with bonus GPS but i hate the whole ocular zoom ring.

- Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 Good glass and comes with firefly.

- Weaver Classic V16 4-16x42 dont know much about it

- Pentax Pioneer 4.5-14x42 cheap but know nothing about it. Is this the equivalent Burris Fullfield II? At least the whole ocular does not turn

What are your thoughts?

It sux that SWFA will not ship to Australia Really%20Sad
Always learning
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 06:06
You may also find some good information in the Rimfire Forum.
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 06:16
cool thank you i will have a look.
Always learning
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 10:33
Australia is a new wrinkle. I'm obviously a huge fan of Weaver products (fully multi-coated Japanese glass Big%20Grin). But with the recent change in ownership to ATK/Federal I have no clue what kind of support structure is in place there or what pricing you get. So I'm just going to sit this one out and see what the gurus think.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic