OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell 12x50 help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveuabhij Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell 12x50 help needed
    Posted: September/16/2008 at 20:44
Hello All,

I am new to binoculars and haven't used any as such.
Recently, I bought Bushnell perma focus 12x50 binoculars. I have bought it for general use, nature viewing and kinda long distance viewing.

Since this binocular has auto focus, i really don't have any choice to  adjust anything other than adjusting the distance between the two glasses. I read in reviews that this binocular is not good for short distance viewing (less than 100 yards) and therefore tried at lakes and greater distances.
But i am unable to get good picture out of it despite trying to adjust. most of the times I see double picture and its too irritating. Also at greater distance the picture is not clear and crisp.

Is this faulty binocular so that  I can return and get something new. or it this what i see from most other binoculars.  Please let me know any other suggestions for binoculars in similar ranges.

Thanks.

Abhijeet
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 20:49
The double image is likely due to the tubes not being in perfect parralel. The focus can be caused by not having the eye piece properly focused the diopter will be on one eye piece. This adjustment is critical.

Edit to add Welcome to Optics Talk.

Edited by cyborg - September/16/2008 at 20:50
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 21:12
Let us start by finding your master eye.  Put your thumb and first finger together so that they make a circle like the OK hand gesture.  Then extend your arm out as far as you can.  With both eyes open find an object like a tree and focus on it.  Then take turns shutting and closing one with the other open.  The eye that is open and moves the object the least is your master eye.  Now take the binoculars and close the weaker eye and adjust the eye piece to give the clearest picture.   Then using the same method do the same with the other eye.  

Now try spreading the lenses as far a part as you can.  This should help.  Have some friends try the binoculars, they may need to adjustment to thier eyes as above first. No two people are exactly the same.  If you are still have in problems then it may be time repair or replacement.   If they do not have problems, but you do it is time to have your eyes checked.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 21:59
I truly hate to say this but, a large part of your problem is most likely your choice of binocular.  Bushnell's "Permafocus" has to be one of the dumbest concepts in binoculars ever.  And that's saying something as most people here know that I am an avowed Bushnell fan - at least with their high-end products.

As I recall from the one that my friend's in laws had at their cabin, the PermaFocus is not even a traditional Individual Focus mechanism that is adjusted for each eye. Rather, there simply is no adjustment at all.  Your eyes just must adjust as best they can.  Add to that the cheap manufacturing standards, which invariably results in poorly collimated barrels, and you have a binocular that is almost impossible to use under any circumstances.

I'm a big believer that there are optics choices for just about everyone and at just about any price level but, the Bushnell Permafocus does not qualify as useful under any standards.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to have to chalk this one up to a (bad) learning experience and go buy yourself another binocular.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 13:14
I am sorry to hear that. If you can return or sell that instrument, do so. One of the best low cost binoculars is the Leupold Yosemite 8x30 or 6x30. I think that 6x30 is better.
They are excellent. Here...
loveuabhij View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveuabhij Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 19:46
Thank you all for your replies.

I tried this binocular with some of my friends and everyone is experience the same. I think i'll return it and get something else.

Is 12x50 too big for general purpose and nature viewing at medium to long distances?
Or should I look for 8x or 10x?? I though 12x should give me better magnification for most of the purposes...

Thanks again!

Abhijeet
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 07:12
Originally posted by loveuabhij loveuabhij wrote:

I though 12x should give me better magnification for most of the purposes...

Well, those binoculars obviously did not give you anything good. I would stay away from 12x, unless they are Leica Trinovid 12x50 or such. Even then, handshake will reduce the ammount of detail that you can see.
Most inexpensive 10x are bad. Many inexpensive 8x are good.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 08:16
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 19:24
Originally posted by loveuabhij loveuabhij wrote:

I can return and get something new.

By all means, return it and get a REAL binocular.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2008 at 15:24
Return that piece of junk and get a decent binocular of somewhere between 6x and 8x magnification.

How much money are you willing to spend?

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic