OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best hunting 10x42 binocs under $200

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best hunting 10x42 binocs under $200
    Posted: December/31/2004 at 18:01

Ok - I know some of you will say spend more on good quality optics.  But this is my budget, so I have to stick with it.

I'm looking seriously at the Bushnell Trophy 10x42's, but I'm wondering if someone would recommend other binocs in this price range.

Thanks,

KP

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2004 at 21:36

If I could make a suggestion check out the Carson XM Series binoculars.  When I compared them to more expensive glass they were just as good or even better.  Some of the ones I compared to side by side were Nikon Monarchs, Steiner, Pentax Dcf HrII, Brunton, and Bushnell Trophey.   None were as bright and clear as the Carson XM's.  A friend has a pair of Zeiss and to be totally honest I couldn't see any difference.  If there was definitly not a diference worth the  extra money.

You can see the Carson Xm binoculars at www.cabelas.com

It is a pretty unknown brand but if you want to read up on them here is a link to the archery forum that I belong to, which is where I heard about them.  www.archerytalk.com    Do a basic search once you get to the web page for Carson.  Im sure you will be impressed with what all the fellow bowman have to say.

Edited by Acenturian
If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 05:17

Consider Nikon Action Extreme 10x50 and Pentax PCF WP 10x50.  If you choose to go with a roof prism, I would strongly suggest that you do not purchase anything without P-coating (phase corectied).  Porro binoculars like the ones above are a little bigger but offer a lot more optical performance for the money.

Ilya

kphunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 10:13

I prefer the 10x42, but it appears only Cabelas carries the Carson XM series in the 10x42.  Anyone know why that is?  What about the Carson YK series, anyone have thoughts about them?

Thanks,

Ken

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 11:53

The YK also known as the Yukon series from what I have been told are good but there is a noticable difference between those and the XM.  I went through Cabelas when I bought the XM's.  Most places I found on the internet that carried the Carson Xm's wanted $299.00 so I figured that at Cabelas price of $199 that was a pretty good buy.  Plus the YK through them is only about 50 dollars cheaper. 

I checked Cabelas web site and they have the 10x42 for $219.  Im not an optics expert but I read that by going to a 10x over an 8x you only gain minimal magnification but with the same size lens objective of 42 the lower power will be brighter. 

Just courious did you check the archery link above and do a seach for Carson?  I'm curious if it will let you search without being a member????  If it didn't let me know because I can try to get the information to you by linking the pages.

I would never tell someone that you should buy Brand X.  I think optics are a personal thing.  What may look good for me wont for you.  BUT, I am VERY happy with the Carson XM's everyone of my friends and family members I've showed them to have also been very impressed so much so some will be buying them for next hunting season. For the moeny I think they are the best kept secret out there.

- Anonymous

kphunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2005 at 21:21

I was able to view the posts as a guest on the Archery Forum.  Did you get to look at/through the Carson binocs before you bought them from Cabelas?  Also, does anyone know if Sportsman's Warehouse or other retailers sell them?

Ken

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2005 at 00:29

Actually, I bought the Carsons sight unseen.  It was a big risk but I was impressed with what I was reading on the archery forums so I took the risk and couldn't be more happy.  I think for the money they are hard to beat.  I don't know if Cabelas has a return policy but it couldn't hurt to ask.  That way if you order the Carson or other brand and it is not up to your expectations you could return them for a different pair.

I don't know if the Sportsman Warehouse carries the binoculars or not.  I did I "Google" search before I bought mine and most places listed the XM's at $299.  I thought that Cabelas had a great price on them for $199.  I found the following links:

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1820813&am p;cp&searchId=15610&brandId=15610&parentPage=sea rch

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-carson-optical-brand-sh op--fi-1182448.html

http://www.sportsauthority.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=7 02345&cp=1346878

- Anonymous

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2005 at 23:03

You CANNOT buy a quality pair of roof prism, phase corrected, 10X42 binocular for the price you are indicating.  Certainly you can buy the carson model (and possibly some others) but they simply will not exhibit acceptable build quality. (By acceptable I mean able to take the rigors of constant outdoor field use without losing collimation, becoming fogged, or producing horrific eye-strain related headaches.)  You CANNOT look at a binocular in a store and compare it effectively against another brand. You have no way of judging durability, or the presence of eye strain which will only show up after significant usage (an hour or so of looking through them.)  There are reasons why these models are so cheap.  Just because it says "phase corrected" on the box does not mean it has been built with high quality standards.  The cheapest roof prism, phase corrected, 10X42 binocular on todays market that exhibits acceptable quality in its construction is the Bushnell Legend model.

All is not lost, however.  You CAN buy a rugged, quality build binocular for your price range.  You just have to buy a porro prism model. These will be a little bulkier than a roof prism, but they can give all the optical performance of the highest priced roof prisms.  Options to look at include the Bushnell Legends, Pentax PCF, Nikon Action Extreme, and a few others. 

I strongly advise against the Carsons or any other low end priced roof prism model - even if they are phase corrected. You will only be buying yourself a bunch of headaches, literally!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 10:16

I am only going to chime in to defend a product.  I wont tell someone to to buy this brand over the next it is going to be his decision.  However, unless you personally have handled the Carsons I think that is an unfair statement.  Many fellow hunters have been VERY impressed with the overal quality and clarity or the XM series binoculars.

On a side not I did find this review from a "non" hunting source

http://www.naturephotographers.net/articles0404/je0404-1.htm l

Like I said for the money you'd be hard press to beat this binoculars.

- Anonymous

kphunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 18:54

If I were a hunting guide, or making a living in the outdoors I would consider spending more money for higher quality optics.  But I can't justify spending $1000 on a pair of binoculars when I only use them 10-12 times a year.  Besides, my wife would divorce me so it isn't an option

The reviews of the Carson XM binocs have been extremely positive.  In many stories, they've been used, abused, dropped, immersed in water, and are still functioning at a high level.  I'm leaning towards the Carsons at this point.  I'll let you know the outcome of the purchase, and will provide feedback on the binocs when I get a chance to use them in the field.

Thanks,

KP

Edited by kphunter
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 22:25

You can buy the following 10X42 binoculars from a variety of different dealers for your stated price range, all of which will outperform the Carsons.  (By the way I HAVE personally handled Carson binoculars)

Bushnell Legends for around $130

Nikon Action Extremes for $200

Pentax PCF series I and/or II for $230

Bausch and Lomb Discoverers for $220

Obviously you will buy whatever you choose to buy, but in your price range any of these binoculars I've listed will far out-perform anything else available. 

kphunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 08:27

Just curious - what store advertises Bushnell Legends for $130???

KP

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 16:10

I can buy the 8X42 Bushnell Legend porro prism binoculars for $129 at my local Sportsman's Warehouse.  I know you stated you wanted a 10X binocular so, the 10X50's are about $20 more and are available through Cabelas. You can get even better prices (and better selection) at www.hotbuyselectronics.com I have often purchased sporting optics from them and usually save between $50 to $150 off the normal retail prices (depending on model and MSRP.)  These are NOT gray market items and come with the full US warranty.

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 17:03

Take the time to read the 9 pages of complaints about HOTBUYS at the link below.

Call them on the phone and ask a few technical questions, inquire about what type of service you will get after the sell, etc.

Click here to see what their customers say about them

Edited by Chris
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 18:43
Certainly it cannot be emphasized the true nature of the statement "buyer beware," however I personally have made numerous purchases through their site and have had no problems.

I twice purchased a Pentax DCF WP 8X42 binoculars (once for myself and later for my Dad), and a Nikon digital camera (Coolpix 4300). Each one was a seperate transaction and each time I got what I ordered on time and with no hassles. 

Then again, if you are warry of new companies, the binoculars I listed can be ordered from more well-known sites like Cabelas, or from Chris right here at SWFA and still represent a better value than the cheaper roof prisms.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 18:45
I would serious following want Chrisis saying.Legend roof prism's for $130? Are they factoty fresh, referbs or demo's? They glasses normally go for around $250-$300. I find it hard to believe they can be had for the price you are quoting. Maybe they are old stock or somethime, butnsomething does't sound right. Look into it harder.!!!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2005 at 18:55
Roy, you are quoting the price for the roof prisms.  The price mentioned are for the PORRO prism models. (It is also the price at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, not the price from the site mentioned.

By the way, lest there be any confusion, I simply have bought things before from these people and have had no problems.  I very easily could represent a minority of consumers in this regard and if I had seen the site Chris provided before making purchases with them, I also would have second thoughts.  As it stands, I didn't know about anyone ever having bad experiences at the time and have not subsequently had any in my dealings with them. Others, however have and you must take this into consideration.
kphunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kphunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 10:53

Well, I blew it.  I waited to buy the Carson XM 10x42's at Cabelas, and now they are out of stock and don't plan to restock them.  Cabelas is the only store who sells the 10x42's, and the price was nearly $100 cheaper than the price of the 8x42 XMs at other stores.

Anyone else have an opinion on the YK series?  Would you say they are better optics than the Legends or Trophy series buy Bushnell?

Thanks,

KP

http://www.kpoutdoors.com

Please visit my website and click on the appropriate link to place an order with Bass Pro Shops, Cheaper than Dirt! and Sportsman's Guide, Inc.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2005 at 21:55

Do they still have the 8x42 in the XM series?  With only two power magnification loss you shouldn't loose much.  Plus since its the same binocular with the same size 42mm objective the 8X should in theory be a little brighter.  I have the 8x42 Carson XM's and love them.  As far as the YK series, I dont have first hand knowledge but some people say they are good but a noticable difference between them and the XM series. 

I looked through the Bushnell Legends and I thought they were pretty good, I liked the Carsons much more.  The other glasses that I considered was the Pentax DCF HR II's.  I have a Pentax rifle scope that is great.  A few months back Pentax offered a mail in $30.00 rebate on those binoculars dont know if its still available. 

I really like the Carsons but if they dont have the 10x and 8x dosent work for you, you might want to look into the Pentax DCF HR II. 

I found this link for about the best price online.  I never ordered from this place and dont know anything about them but they did seem to have the lowest price for the Pentax Binoculars at $219 for the 10x42 (Page 2)  Most places want around $270-300.  Keep me posted as to which binoculars you pick.

http://www.17photo.com/subcategory.asp?catid=&scatid=31& amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp;page=2&manuf=Pentax&sort=4&om=Pentax&rpp =10     

Also found on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3 1711&item=7127932149&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Edited by Acenturian

- Anonymous

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2005 at 16:37

Save your money and get a quality pair a roof-prism binos.  When it comes to binos you are going to happier in the long-run with quality.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic