OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Recommend a "throw away" scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend a "throw away" scope?
    Posted: September/15/2008 at 19:13
Hi guys,

Guess I had a similar question as a recent poster regarding cheap spotting scopes. I pulled a descent mule deer tag in Montana this year and I just recently purchased an Elite 4200 which was a HUGE amount of money for me (well worth it by the way and thanks to OT recommendations!) to spend on a rifle scope. I own Nikon Monarch 8X42 binoculars which get the job done but for judging Mule deer at long distances? - doesn't really work.

Many of you will probably cringe at recommending such a spotting scope Shocked and I'm always about spending the extra $$$ and going with quality items (just can't do it now ) and I would like to know if you guys could recommend a "throw away" spotting scope that might get the job done this season without breaking the bank. Preferably something smaller and  lighter that I could pack into the high country and it doesn't have to have great glass as long as it can get the job done better than 8x42 binoculars at longer distances (200, 300. 400 yards?).

Or, am I better of f buying nothing and sticking with binoculars? I was thinking of spending in the $50 - $100 range.

Thanks, thanks a bunch!
"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected." - Thoreau
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 21:36
$50 to $100?  Impossible

Why burden your garbageman with even touching this level of crap

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 22:39
Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

$50 to $100?  Impossible

Impossible?  No.

Improbable?  Perhaps.

However, there are at least a couple of options that, while not superb and certainly no competition for higher-dollar optics, would probably serve the intended purposes.

For example:
1. Burris Compact 20x50 ($85)
2. Burris Compact 12-24x50 ($125)
3. Bushnell Sentry 12-36x50 ($115)

Of these three I would think the fixed-power Burris, because its design is less complex, would probably be the best performer.

Edited by lucznik - September/16/2008 at 14:10
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 05:57
Try a Yukon Scout 20x50 draw tube spotting scope. Small, light, and would work if rested on a backpack.
buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 07:16
Thanks for your suggestions, I will look at the scopes you mention!

"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected." - Thoreau
ms6852 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms6852 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 22:10
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

Try a Yukon Scout 20x50 draw tube spotting scope. Small, light, and would work if rested on a backpack.

I was given this Yukon scope which in reality is not bad at all for your needs.  It has fully multi coated lenses and I was able to spot 30 cal bullet holes at 200 yds  on a hot day in Texas with 95 degree temps.  It was not easy but you had to wait for the mirage to fade and allow your sight to get used to it.  I don't think you will have a problem with if for deer season since the weather is a lot cooler.  Its what a carry in my truck at the beach or where ever I happen to be without having to worry what happens to it.  But does not compare to my Nikon fieldscope.  You will not be disappointed with this scope for your particular use for this season only, but I must agree with the rest of the guys you can do better.
Always run from a fight...but if they catch you deliver them to hell personally.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic