OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bad shooting 10/22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad shooting 10/22
    Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:15

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:18
sorry about the large picture. I've been fighting this thing lately and can't figure out where to turn next. The shots in the picture are from 50 yards, and shot from a rest. I really don't believe this is shooter error. I tried cleaning it, but to no avail. Any suggestions on how to tighten up the groups, or do I just have a bad shooter?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:22
Have you tried different ammo?  I chronoed some once and I was getting over a 150 fps extreme spread over 30 rounds.  I think it was remington golden bullet.  Just cheapo stuff, but is still suprised me it was that bad.  My groups were about like yours, I bought some more expensive stuff that was subsonic and it shot much better. 

If you shoot ammo that is super sonic coming out of the tube, it is usually just barely over the sound barrier so it does not have to do very far to return to sub sonic speeds at that point it is like a boat that is plaining on the water and suddenly stops palining and drops into the water.  A bullet will do a similar thing when it goes subsonic, and with a .22 it does not have to be very far for that to happen.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:26
I've shot the cheap federal bulk ammo and some winchester T-22 target and get the same result. I have been thinking about shooting some CCI stingers through it. I think they should stay supersonic longer. This still appeared to me to be very bad groups for only 50 yards. I don't ever remember this thing shooting this badly. I was thinking about tightening or loosening the barrel band, and see if that makes a difference. I have a cheap simmons scope on it now. That will be the next thing to go.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:30
I would try some subsonic ammo.  From my research that is what target shooters use and it is much more consistent.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:35
I will have to try that. I still think that a group of almost 4" is pretty extreme at 50 yards. I used to shoot co2 cartridges at 100, and while not hit them every shot, I could hit them pretty consistantly.

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 16:50
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I've shot the cheap federal bulk ammo and some winchester T-22 target and get the same result. I have been thinking about shooting some CCI stingers through it. I think they should stay supersonic longer. This still appeared to me to be very bad groups for only 50 yards. I don't ever remember this thing shooting this badly. I was thinking about tightening or loosening the barrel band, and see if that makes a difference. I have a cheap simmons scope on it now. That will be the next thing to go.
..................I presume you have checked the bases and rings for tightness??? No reticle problems?.........Try different ammo!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 17:12
Subsonic ammo will not cycle my 10/22. I have tried several different brands, just does not work. I have heard of some that does, but have not found any.
.22 ammo is still relatively cheap. Get several different kinds/weights and try it out. My 10/22 loves the 40gr Remington. Does not like any other weight.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 17:15
Tango two niner,  you a lefty?
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 18:08
Trigger 29...
First of all, if you exhaust everything with the ammo, I would ditch the barrel band altogether and bed the first couple inches of barrel forward of the barrel clamp.  If that doesn't work, I would recrown the barrel and take the bolt out and surface grind the headspace depth (distance between bolt face that contacts the barrel shank and the bolt face recess that contains the case rim) to 0.0425".  If you don't have the equipment to do this properly, there are gunsmiths who specialize in 10/22 work who will do this for you for a reasonable price.  This makes your firing pin strikes more consistent because there is no excess rim space when the round is chambered.  Also, the stock 10/22 chamber is usually too deep, so you can try having the breech face cut back a little and maybe even have the chamber recut in the process.  Depending on how much $ you're willing to spend on this rifle, if nothing else works, I would replace the factory barrel with an aftermarket barrel with Bentz chamber.  You can get a relatively inexpensive aftermarket barrel from Green Mountain, and the Volquartsen and Shilen barrels are even better (but more expensive).  I have also tried various different bedding techniques on the 10/22 with varied success, so if those measures don't work, send me a PM and I can go into further detail.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 18:14
Clean the rifle as best you can.  Then take five rounds of T-22 and roll the bullet only in something like crest toothpaste and let the round dry.  Then fire the rounds cleaning in betweeen. See if that improves it any.  Repeat once, but no more than twice if no improvement.  Stick to using jacketed bullets for awhile.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 19:04
Both of my 10/22's like the Winchester Super X Power Point. Both are consistantly under 2" @ 50 yards. I have shot all X's with my 1976 Bicentennial 10/22 on several occasions with the same ammo. It is deadly on coons out to 50 yards. I would try them if you haven't already.
The Remington sub-sonics cycle in both of mine. They will not shoot with the Super X's, though.

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 19:44
2" at 50 yards? maybe i'm expecting too much of this rifle. I was hoping for 1" at 50. I may just ditch the 10/22 altogether and keep shooting the .17 HMR. That thing will put five shots in about 3/8" at 100 on a calm day. I like the idea of a .22 for the cheap ammo, but it is frustrating to shoot, when they don't hit what you are aiming for.  I think I would rather get rid of the 22 and buy more 17 ammo, then spend countless dollars on accurizing my 10/22.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 19:47
The 2" is for both of them. The 1976 model shoots better all the time. If I put it outside the X it is usually my fault with the stock trigger.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 20:59
i should take my old 1970's version 10/22 out and see how i can do at 50yds with open sights to see how poor or well mine does, intresting stuff, the 10/22 has more aftermarket parts than a honda civic, so im sure if you have the action you can turn it into almost anything you want.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 23:29
If the rifle has shot better in the past then think back and try to recall if you ever shot any straight lead ammo. Also check the muzzle for damage or lead fouling. I've seen more than one good shooting 22 go south after a box of lead head ammo. If you think that lead fouling may be the problem find a lead solvent to help get it out and try to push everything out the muzzle. Don't use any wire brushes, do most of your work with plastic and swabs to avoid wrecking the barrel. If you know you've never fired soft lead in it then make sure there isn't any muzzle issues and go with Rifle Dudes g-smith suggestions or buy an after market target barrel and enjoy your 22 again.
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 00:10

Did I miss it or have you checked the V block. If it is loose on a 10-22 it will create havoc on accuracy.  The scope mounts on the receiver, the barrel is mainly held in place by the V block If it is loose the barrel may not keep alignment with the receiver. Another improvement would be the cantilever scope mount that is attached to the barrel instead of the receiver. Then the scope held more in line with the barrel. The simplicity in the construction of the 10-22 is its biggest asset and also its worst flaw. For an accurate 22 RF go with a bolt action. The Savage Model MARK II-BTVS -- with AccuTrigger Is a very nice shooter. If they would only make it left handed.

Edited by 3_tens - September/16/2008 at 00:12
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 02:15
Cut your losses and buy/get an accurate rifle. I have walked that road of trying to turn an inaccurate rifle around. prepare to spend $$$$ and it never ends. Then this then that. In the end you have bought a new rifle piece by piece.
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 01:13
well, I tried some hyper velocity 36 grain 1500 fps Remington ammo today, and also some CCI subsonics. I seemed to tighten the groups a little with both, but still had fliers with both, and they seem to always string to the right. The T-22 winchesters were in fact lead, and uncoated. I shot these when it was shooting pretty well, hoping they would shoot even better. Maybe I need a good lead solvent. I was hoping my copper solvent would also take the soft lead out, but apparently not. I will try it as a last resort. Oh and roger steelbenz, affirmative on the lefty. Tango two niner out. I'm oscar mike. Thanks all.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 04:04
Something is badly wrong here.  The 10/22 is an outstanding rifle.    You should easily get under 2 inches at 50 yards with a factory barrel.  An "almost 4 inch" group is terrible.  Did you buy this new, or used (and possibly abused)?  Is the barrel rusted out?

Some ammo brands are obviously better than others.  A .22 barrel usually doesn't need much cleaning.

Let a friend who is a good shooter give it a try.  Sometimes, the rifle and the shooter just aren't a good matchup.

Check the scope (and scope mounts).  Try another scope!

Take off the stock and be sure the screws holding the V-block and barrel are tight.  (Be careful not to strip them!)  Make sure the barrel isn't loose and wobbly in the receiver.  (If it is, ditch the rifle.  It's hopeless.)

Then put it back together without the barrel band, and try it.  (Don't be surprised if it shoots pretty much the same both with and without the barrel band.)

If you have a bad barrel, it's a good idea to replace it with a Bentz-chambered barrel (with stainless steel liner) as RifleDude suggested.  I wouldn't screw around with the original barrel or bedding.  It's easier and more reliable to get a new barrel and/or stock, plus you will improve your accuracy significantly in the process.  If you go for a new stock, the Hogue is my pick.  (The current Butler Creek stock wouldn't accept my very old 10/22's receiver.)

I refitted my own 10/22 with a lightweight Butler Creek barrel and a Volquartsen trigger  group.  It shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yards with Eley Tenex, even using a cheap 4X Bushnell scope.  A lot of bolt action .22's won't do this!

It's a great rifle design.  I hope you can get yours working to your satisfaction. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic