OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold's reputation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 11:42

@

Edited by Dogger - September/22/2008 at 06:30
God save the Empire!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

Well said koshkin!

Maybe somebody needs to wander over to 24hr and invite E over for this discussion.

Then we could get this going up to speed!

Oh crap.....I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 15:21
No worries, I am pretty good at ignoring him.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 17:34
I tend to agree with the general summation given on Leupold.  I think they make a good scope, and I don't plan on getting rid of the ones I have.

Where I think they shine is in compact lightweight scopes, dangerous game scopes, competition scopes (i.e. fixed benchrest models), rimfire scopes, and varmint hunting scopes.  They offer finishes, configurations, and reticle designs that other manufacturers don't.  Even if a Leupold scope isn't the best choice in a given category, one thing you can't deny is that they offer something for every conceivable shooting application you can think of.  They offer tremendous customer service and a simple, no questions asked, unconditional warranty, so you can have total confidence that if you buy one of their scopes, they will stand behind it should anything happen.  Personally, I don't think buying a Leupold scope is ever a bad decision, I just think in many cases, other scopes are a better value for the $ spent.

Edited by RifleDude - September/17/2008 at 17:35
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 20:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I tend to agree with the general summation given on Leupold.  I think they make a good scope, and I don't plan on getting rid of the ones I have.

Where I think they shine is in compact lightweight scopes, dangerous game scopes, competition scopes (i.e. fixed benchrest models), rimfire scopes, and varmint hunting scopes.  They offer finishes, configurations, and reticle designs that other manufacturers don't.  Even if a Leupold scope isn't the best choice in a given category, one thing you can't deny is that they offer something for every conceivable shooting application you can think of.  They offer tremendous customer service and a simple, no questions asked, unconditional warranty, so you can have total confidence that if you buy one of their scopes, they will stand behind it should anything happen.  Personally, I don't think buying a Leupold scope is ever a bad decision, I just think in many cases, other scopes are a better value for the $ spent.
............++++++++Thunbs%20Up.................Exactly correct!...........More than any other maker, Leupold shines in their selection of scopes, selection of scope finishes, reticle selections and they shine in their customer service. 

Rather than have a loyalty to any one particular scope brand, it`s best to instead choose the best scope for the rifle and the cartridge for the price one wishes to pay.

In my case, a shot from my .375, with a $400 1.5-5x20 VX3, will still hit the same vitals, just like a $2k DGR scope from Zeiss or similiar priced Swaro!... If not so, then that really doesn`t say too much for me as a hunter.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 20:23

"Mr. Gambini...that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out argument....Overruled."
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 20:26
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

............++++++++Thunbs%20Up.................Exactly correct!...........More than any other maker, Leupold shines in their selection of scopes, selection of scope finishes, reticle selections and they shine in their customer service. 

Rather than have a loyalty to any one particular scope brand, it`s best to instead choose the best scope for the rifle and the cartridge for the price one wishes to pay.

In my case, a shot from my .375, with a $400 1.5-5x20 VX3, will still hit the same vitals, just like a $2k DGR scope from Zeiss or similiar priced Swaro!... If not so, then that really doesn`t say too much for me as a hunter.

Perhaps, but I would not make blanket statements like that.  If the conditions are challenging enough, that 2k Swaro or Zeiss may allow you to take shot that you would not be able to take otherwise.

The other day I ran into a guy who likes hunting leopard in Africa.  He is in the process of putting 1-6x24 Swaro Z6 with illuminated reticle on most of his rifles.  To him, the optical quality, excellent illumination and versatility of the setup are well worth the money.  For the  environment where he hunts, he felt that the Z6 offers tangible advantages.

Everyone has different demands.

ILya
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 21:11
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Perhaps, but I would not make blanket statements like that.  If the conditions are challenging enough, that 2k Swaro or Zeiss may allow you to take shot that you would not be able to take otherwise.

The other day I ran into a guy who likes hunting leopard in Africa.  He is in the process of putting 1-6x24 Swaro Z6 with illuminated reticle on most of his rifles.  To him, the optical quality, excellent illumination and versatility of the setup are well worth the money.  For the  environment where he hunts, he felt that the Z6 offers tangible advantages.

ILya
..................First of all! If I can`t properly see the game for a shot, then I won`t shoot the game, regardless of any condition. I have never had the need to kill any game at night or in any poor lighting conditions.

I didn`t care to spend an extra $1600 for an eventual maybe, or a could be, or a just in case of this, or a just in case of that!..........I don`t plan on ever hunting leopard or any other game in the darkness.

For my purposes, hunting moose, bison, dangerous bears, capped buffs, or African plains game with a 375 Ruger, does not require an illuminated or non illuminated $2K DGR scope to be just as successful.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 21:19

ILya
..................First of all! If I can`t properly see the game for a shot, then I won`t shoot the game, regardless of any condition. I have never had the need to kill any game at night or in any poor lighting conditions.

I didn`t care to spend an extra $1600 for an eventual maybe, or a could be, or a just in case of this, or a just in case of that!..........I don`t plan on ever hunting leopard or any other game in the darkness.

For my purposes, hunting moose, bison, dangerous bears, capped buffs, or African plains game with a 375 Ruger, does not require an illuminated or non illuminated $2K DGR scope to be just as successful.

Spot on.

That means, quite simply, that you are not the customer that Zeiss and Swaro target for their top of the line scopes.  Their target audience has different needs and requirements.

ILya
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 22:34

ILya

Spot on.

That means, quite simply, that you are not the customer that Zeiss and Swaro target for their top of the line scopes.  Their target audience has different needs and requirements.

ILya
.................Correct! If I were a night hunter too, I probably wouldn`t have a VX3 and would have opted for something more suitable.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 23:32
 Illuminated scopes are NOT for shooting game in the dark ! They are for much faster aquisition of the rectile on the kill spot .... especially in shaded or darker areas where a grey common rectiles blend in and can be hard to see . Especially under heavy or dense tree shading or cloudy / overcast days and very early/late evening shots . You really have to own 1 or 2 and find the advantages to comment as to their worthiness . It kills me when some say " I never owned one and don't want or need one " .... how do they know ... Bucky  ?

Plus remember with the illumination turned off they are just like the old time common rectile on many scopes . They are well worth the few extra dollars to me .... just my opinion .

Edited by mercenary1947 - September/17/2008 at 23:33
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
crispycritter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crispycritter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2008 at 23:47
QUOTE:
If I were a night hunter too, I probably wouldn`t have a VX3 and would have opted for something more suitable.

Like a spotlight?Big%20Grin
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 00:14
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Illuminated scopes are NOT for shooting game in the dark ! They are for much faster aquisition of the rectile on the kill spot .... especially in shaded or darker areas where a grey common rectiles blend in and can be hard to see . Especially under heavy or dense tree shading or cloudy / overcast days and very early/late evening shots . You really have to own 1 or 2 and find the advantages to comment as to their worthiness . It kills me when some say " I never owned one and don't want or need one " .... how do they know ... Bucky  ?

Plus remember with the illumination turned off they are just like the old time common rectile on many scopes . They are well worth the few extra dollars to me .... just my opinion .
...............I know that!... AND, I have used them on hunting trips when experimenting with friend`s rifles that do have them. Don`t need to own one to specifically know of their worthiness in daylight or otherwise.

I am fully aware of their advantages. However for my purposes, spending an additional  $1600 beyond the cost of my VX3 for an illuminated Zeiss, was un-needed and ridiculous. 

Years ago in the early days of O`Connor, Keith, Weatherby, Gates and others, before there were hi tech variables and illuminated scopes, what did those good `ol boys do? For the most part, they used the `ol standby fixed 4x`s of the past, with glass not as good as todays glass. I wonder how many world wide trophys or success stories (combined) there are between them!!...........Todays scope innovations, does make things easier for sure, but I wouldn`t exactly bet against a new VX3, or an experienced hunter looking through one.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic