OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upgrading to Bushnell Elite?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12gage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading to Bushnell Elite?
    Posted: September/15/2008 at 01:22
I wanted to get some advice on a situation that I have.  I sent a pair of Bushnell Excursions 10x42 back for warranty repair for the strap attachment.  I was told that I could upgrade to the Elite @ 50% of the MSRP.  I am trying to decide whether to get the 10x43 or the 10x50.  The price for the 10x50 is ~$600 and the 10x43 is ~$400.  My primary use is for whitetail back east and I am elk hunting this fall and plan future hunts out west.  The .6 oz difference doesn't matter to me.  I am more interested in being able to pick out animals in low light conditions.  Should I go with the 10x43 at that price, the 10x50 or just get my pair back repaired and save for Swaro, Meopta or even the Leupold HD?  I like the fact that the 10x50 has a 5mm exit pupil over the 10x43 and 10x42's but I haven't been able to actually compare anywhere to see if it makes that much difference.  Also, has anyone used the Elite 2.5x doubler and how well/practical is it for extending your range to judge animals?
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 06:52
sounds like a "no brainer" ..50% off list ...sure!..10x43 will work just fine and without excess bulk

Welcome to the OT

Edited by martin3175 - September/15/2008 at 06:52
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 11:05
That's a no brainer indeed, but i would get the Elite 8x43, because:

-they would have a larger exit pupil than the 10x43
-they would have less handshake and a more stable view than the 10x50
-they would have less weight and smaller size than the 10x50.
-they would have a much wider field of view.

On your elk hunt, you may need to hike rough country and to glass. When you are tired and your heart is pounding from climbing that tall mountain, your body and hands shake to the point that whatever advantage the 10x offers is negated by the handshakes.

I've never regretted for choosing the 8X30 SLC for hunting. 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 11:07
Originally posted by 12gage 12gage wrote:

I am trying to decide whether to get the 10x43 or the 10x50...  My primary use is for whitetail back east and I am elk hunting this fall and plan future hunts out west.  
The 10x43 would work fine.  They are oft considered the "standard" for hunting binoculars "out west."  What anweis said about the 8x43 however has definite merit and should not be simply discounted.  Even though I'm an avowed magnification junkie and really like 10x glass, all my current binoculars are 8x . (Don't ask how that happened.  I'm not really sure myself.)  And to be truthful, I haven't felt "handicapped' yet.

I like the fact that the 10x50 has a 5mm exit pupil over the 10x43 and 10x42's but I haven't been able to actually compare anywhere to see if it makes that much difference.  
There will be a difference significant enough to notice, though perhaps not enough to be concerned about.  The 10x50 will also be heavier (by 5.7 oz.) and physically larger than the 10x43 and will have an even narrower FoV.  Whether or not the pros justify cons will be up to you.

Also, has anyone used the Elite 2.5x doubler and how well/practical is it for extending your range to judge animals?
I have one and think that it is a pretty great little tool.  The spotting scope it created with my 10x43 Elite was extremely useful, fully comparable to many other budget-class spotting scopes in the ~$350 range and it weighs only 4.5 ounces and is super small. Attached to the 10x50 it would be even better.

I can't use my doubler anymore because I "upgraded" my binocular to a Leupold Golden Ring only to find out that the binocular's eyepieces are too wide for the  doubler to fit over.  Had I known that to begin with, I wouldn't have sold my Elite binocular.

Now I'm not sure what to do...

Edited by lucznik - September/15/2008 at 11:15
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
12gage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12gage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 11:54
lucznik
How big a difference has the Leupold been from the Elite's in terms of clarity and ability to pick out animals in low light or in dark timber?  Do you have the HD version?  Any idea why competitor and other large retailers have removed the Elite from their offering?  Lastly, are you interested in selling the 2.5x doubler?
Thanks all for the excellent comments and suggestions!!
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 13:06

lucznik
How big a difference has the Leupold been from the Elite's in terms of clarity and ability to pick out animals in low light or in dark timber? 
It is hard to give you a difinitive answer to this question as I never had the two together for a "side-by-side" comparison.  Also, my Elite was a 10x and my Leupold is an 8x.

I really liked the Elite except for three little things:
  1. The weight of the binocular was, in my opinion, too light - especially for a 10x.  You do much hiking in the steep, mountainous terrain I do and you can get pretty winded.  Holding a binocular that light steady enough for comfortable viewing becomes problematic.
  2. The "locking" diopter didn't lock secure enough for me.  Furthermore, it has a little knob sticking out from the diopter adjustment wheel that makes it too easy to turn.  As a result, I needed to readjust it often enough that it was a real irritation.  (In fairness, I know some people who have not had this problem at all.)
  3. I have trouble accepting that any binocular with the open-bridge hinge design, whether roof or porro prism, can be made strong enough to withstand the punishment I invariably seem to inflict upon my equipment.
The Leupold seems entirely comparable in terms of both image and build quality.  Actually, with its long piano hinge, I am fully convinced that the Leupold is built to withstand more rugged treatment.  It weighs significantly more but, that really helps to stabilize the image, expecially when tired or winded. The Leupold does have a few faults.  Among them:
  1. The Bushnell doubler does not fit onto the eyepieces.  This is not Leupold's fault but, it's still irritating.  The doubler does fit on every other full-size binocular I've tried it on.
  2. The binocular has an "interpupillary distance lock" that takes the place of the mounting screw for using the binocular on a tripod.  It is an interesting though, not terribly useful feature. It also doesn't lock solidly at all.  Put simply, I would rather be able to use the tripod.

Do you have the HD version? 
No. 

I bought the non-HD version for a close-out $500.  I do not think I would sell these just to "upgrade" to the HD version. 

Any idea why competitor and other large retailers have removed the Elite from their offering? 
  Possibly because it says Bushnell on the side and so; no matter how good the optics, people are going to associate it with being of poor quality.  Funny how they never felt this way about the same products when they were badged with the name Bausch and Lomb. 

Lastly, are you interested in selling the 2.5x doubler? 
Sure.

It's just sitting in its box on my gun cabinet collecting dust.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 14:24
I picked up an Elite 10x43, mainly for my son to use, while I kept and use my Trinovid 10x42's.  I will say, however, that I really cannot tell much difference in the two, and in fact the Elite is probably a tad brighter.  Those Elite's were a real "sleeper" in the bino market.
12gage View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 12gage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2008 at 21:11
Thanks for your post and comment JG.  I hope the Elite is really that good b/c I would think that you could see some difference btn that and the Trinovid.  I have only made direct comparison with the Elite and the Leupold HD and between the 2 I couldn't find a difference as far as clarity and edge to edge.  I wasn't able to look at them through low light conditions.  There was some color difference but I'm not sure which was the truer color.  I'm just a rank amateur so I'm sure other's could see greater differences.  My Elite's are ordered and on their way
Sled2live View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sled2live Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 00:39
Last year at this time, I was evaluating the bushnell elites 10 X 43 and comparing them with the Leupold GR  10 X 42 .  I found the elites were brighter in that final minute of light, but the resolution was better on the leupolds.  I could see antlers with both, but could consistantly get a tine count with the GRs at all ranges in low light.  In bright daylight, I got better resolution at distance with the bushnells.
  I really liked the ergonomics of the Bushnells over the Leupolds and the bushnells are much easier carrying around all day.  A very good bargain.   I'm not sure why they were discontinued. 
Scott
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2008 at 11:55
Originally posted by Sled2live Sled2live wrote:

I really liked the ergonomics of the Bushnells... and the bushnells are much easier carrying around all day.  I'm not sure why they were discontinued. 

They weren't discontinued.   In fact, Bushnell has just made some "ergonomic" upgrades to the 8x43 and 10x43 versions including textured rubber armoring as opposed to the original smooth rubber, 4-position twist-up eyecups, etc.

Bushnell has confused the issue a bit by the introduction of their Elite E2 binocular.  It is not a replacement for the original Elite.  Rather, it is a step down from the Elite, marketed toward a slightly lower budget class.  

Individual retailers may have decided not to carry the Elite due to their inability to sell a sufficient number of them to justify their shelf space but, the model itself is still available.  My understanding has been that overall, it sells quite well.

Edited by lucznik - September/19/2008 at 11:55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic