OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 vs. 3-12x56 FOV Is
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 vs. 3-12x56 FOV Is

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 vs. 3-12x56 FOV Is
    Posted: September/12/2008 at 11:53

I purchased a Zeiss Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 over the 3-12x56 primarily because of the wider FOV and lower magnification for close/medium range. Although the scope is absolutely superb, I am disappointed because at 2.5x, I do not see the full view but rather a circle around the view. When I zoom to 3x, the same actual FOV enlarges to fill the full view. This pretty much makes having a 2.5x setting on this scope useless, and now after stopping at 2.5x I always have to dial back up to 3x. I wonder if this is common or if I should have gone with the 3-12x56, since I essentially now have a 3-10x50 that requires an extra step. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 18:46
 the tire effect is common on a lot of euro scopes, the z6 doesn't do it.
opticsmike View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2008 at 02:15
Anyone know if the Zeiss Diavari Victory 3-12x56 does that? if not then there's no point in the 2.5-10x50.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 11:04
I have the same Diavari 2.5-10X50 and agree completely about the tunnel effect at 2.5X.  This is actually quite common with almost all 4X zoom erector scopes I've seen.  My Kahles 2.5-10X50 has the same fault, except that the tunnel effect also extends to 3X, where it disappears at higher magnification.  I can't comment on the 3-12X56, but I would imagine the same situation exists on 3X with this scope.  The same situation also exists with my S&B Zenith 1.5-6X42 on 1.5X.  The fact that Swarovski eliminated the tunnel vision on their 6X zoom Z6 is actually quite an accomplishment.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
craSSh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craSSh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 19:07
I have the Diavari 3-12x56 and didn't ever notice it until this post.  On 3x there is a very tiny ring (so tiny that never noticed it before)....... once the zoom even moves the ring disappears. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 22:19
craSSh, you're the guy I need help from! Can you please do me a huge favor and do a test to see the exact point the ring entirely disappears and let me know?
www.technika.nu View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote www.technika.nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 23:41
There is very much more tunneleffekt on the Diavari Z than on the newer Diavari V.
The is a very small tunneleffekt on the V3-12x56 as there is on the V2,5-10.
But that doesent really matter, have a Leupold besides it and look on a target and see what the differance in FOV is.
And I can tell you right off that the differance is VERY big.

Technika
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 14:02
Not sure what Leupold has to do with this thread. 

Either way, as Dale pointed out Swaro Z6 does not have this effect. Zeiss V scopes do, but it is not a very large effect.  Still, it is there.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 15:01
I got out my Kahles CL 3-10X50 and I don't think there is any tunnel effect nor is there any on my Conquest.  Can't wait to use my Kahles this deer season, MAN what a view!
take em!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticsmike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 15:10
Technika was making a comparison with the Leupold just as Dale had with the Swaro. Anyways, the tunnel effect is eliminted at 2.8x my Victory 2.5-10x50, and I would guess that since Techinika says it's about the same difference on the 3-12x56, say at 3.3x maybe, then the advantage of low magnificaiton for the 2.5-10x50 still exists, and there is still good reason to go with the 2.5-10x50 for those who need lower magnification. Thanks everyone!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 17:19
For me personally, I would choose the 2.5-10X50 or maybe even the 2.5-10X42 over the 3-12X56 for no other reason than I just don't like oversized objective bells on a general purpose hunting rifle.  50mm is the max I'm willing to live with, and I don't see enough real-world low light advantage to the 56mm scopes to justify the tradeoffs.  Larger than that, the scope just becomes too bulky for my tastes and requires high mounts.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
craSSh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craSSh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2008 at 20:37
opticsmike,

With the zoom turned all the way down, the "dot" is in the middle of the 3.  The tunnel effect disappears when the "dot" is on the right edge of the 3.  So I would say definitely less than 3.3x.... less than 3.1x if I had to guess

I agree with Ted that the 56mm is huge, but I got used to it.  The next scope I bought was a 50mm.  However the next one I buy may be another 56mm.  I included pics for a side by side comparison.  The 56mm isnt much bigger but I guess the 50mm is big enough (or is it?)Wink

50mm vs 56mm

.......sorry to get off topic

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic