OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington700 VSF Loose bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington700 VSF Loose bolt
    Posted: September/12/2008 at 04:11
I have now fired about 300 rounds through my Rem700VSF. To date I can say that I am enjoying the feel of the rifle, but am not convinced that it is a shooter. Grouping remains at about and inch, with the "one-in-five" flyer.
What I have noticed is that when uncocked the bolt rattles in the rifle. In other words there is a large amount of play between the bolt lugs and locking rings. This is without a round in the chamber. I have not tried it uncocked but with a round in the chamber.

Is this normal?
Can this be detrimental to good groupings?

When cocked with a round in the chamber the bolt is not loose.

I post three groups shot yesterday.

Edited by 8shots - September/12/2008 at 04:36
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 07:36
" ...hmmm.......a Remington.........la de dah dee dum...."

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 12:22
do you mean that after you pull the trigger - without a shell chambered - and before you lift the bolt - you can wiggle the bolt?  I tried that with my son't new 700 CDL and it does wiggle...... although I'm not sure how that could effect accuracy as this is AFTER the shot has been fired.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 12:24
my older BDL .223 does the same thing.  I'm not sure what that means in this instance because I'm not triing to wring all the accuracy out of my guns like you are and I don't usually shoot groups of 5.
take em!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2008 at 00:12
8s sent it to me and I will get it fixed. I will return it as soon as I am satisfied it is correct and finished testing it. I can be very meticulous so it may take a while. This is normal as far as can tell. You want the bolt to be tight against the case. before firing. With out a case to press against there will be some slack. This is to absorb differences found in case dimensions. Be worried if there is slack with a case in the chamber.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2008 at 17:13
normal on remmy to have bolt play when firing pin down.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2008 at 20:35
Welcome to Remington Country.........
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 02:37
Thanks for all the replies.
I did some more load testing and came up with one screamer grouping. The rifle remains very touchy!

Edited by 8shots - September/15/2008 at 02:42
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

What I have noticed is that when uncocked the bolt rattles in the rifle. In other words there is a large amount of play between the bolt lugs and locking rings. This is without a round in the chamber. I have not tried it uncocked but with a round in the chamber.

Is this normal?
Yes.
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Can this be detrimental to good groupings?
No... all that matters is when a round is chambered that both lugs make solid contact with the lug abutments so that there is none of this play when it is bearing against the case head.  Without a round chambered or during cycling, a typical hunting rifle will always have some looseness in the bolt intentionally for clearance, so that it will accommodate the grit and grime encountered when hunting and still function without binding.

Edited by RifleDude - September/15/2008 at 18:29
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic