OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

700 Bolt Problem - Pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 700 Bolt Problem - Pictures
    Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:17
I need some help here guys.  I just picked up a new 700 LSS in 257 Wby Mag.  I noticed it was hard to pull the bolt back after cocking.  So I thought it was maybe a little dry and went to wipe it with an oily rag and noticed this. 

Edited by timber - September/11/2008 at 21:18
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:20
Tagged
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:23
take it back
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:56
My local dealer could not find from any distributors.  So I bought it on-line.  I just picked it up this afternoon but I think the on-line dealer will require me to send it to the factory.  I assume the only fix would be to have another bolt fitted.  Can this be done in a satisfactory manner?  Also, this rifle is stainless and I'm wondering if the guide rail is damaged?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:58
take it to a smith have him take a look and then go from there more than likely i would skip sending it to remington, unless you really think they will cover you with some sort of warranty. who knows how long they would take to fix it.

Edited by pyro6999 - September/11/2008 at 22:01
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 22:20
Can it be repaired?
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 22:24
Here's a different angle.

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 06:43
Ouch ..maybe you'll be lucky and get hooked up quickly ..have ya call Remmy customer service yet ?

Edited by martin3175 - September/12/2008 at 08:30
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 07:31
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 12:31
That is definitely damaged...... mine shows some wear there in so much as the bluing is wearing off,  but no groves like yours.  I wouldn't be surprised if Rem. sent you a new bolt once they verified it was new when you got it.  Is the on-line dealer legit?
take em!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 14:39
I've got a call into Remington.  They're are suppose to have a tech person call me back.  I just spoke to the dealer and they will accept a return.  Has anybody seen this before?  I don't see itRem 260 and 308 and neither has this.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 15:31
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

Can it be repaired?

Yes, it can be repaired.  That is the anti-bind guide rail (that ironically, is causing the bolt to bind along the guide rib).  The head of a M700 bolt is brazed onto the bolt body.  I can't say I've seen this before, but it can be fixed in a couple different ways, either by replacing the bolt head completely or by welding up and remachining the guide rib.  If it's a new gun, Remington needs to fix it for you.  It's highly doubtful any damage was done to your action; the bolt was just binding on the rough edge of the damaged area.

Edited by RifleDude - September/12/2008 at 15:32
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 16:01
Just got off the phone with Remington.  The tech rep was very knowledgeable and helpful.  I sent him several pictures.  He told me sometimes during final fitting they will take off some metal on the corners of the slot so that the bolt travel will be smoother.  I got the impression that this may be more than typical.  He was able to see some shiny silver metal where the bluing had been rubbed away and those areas may be what I'm feeling hanging up when pulling the bolt out of battery.  He went on to say that those areas probably could be further modified by a gunsmith to slick up the action.  He recommended that I send it to a Remington authorized service center instead of the factory to get a quicker turn-around if I decided to keep it.

As to replacing the bolt altogether as all you probably already know it's a much more complicated issue, especially with a small production caliber like 257.  It's all about headspace.  They have oversize bolts on hand but that requires removing the barrel and modifying the chamber.  He also said sometimes they'll have to replace the receiver or the barrel.  It's not just a simple swap of the bolt.  I'm no gunsmith but I can see it's an involved process and not something I'd want to entertain with a brand new rifle.

I'm going to be talking to my local dealer who I trust to make a judgment on whether or not to keep it or return it.  After talking to the Rem tech gentleman I do have confidence it could be fixed.  My leanings now though are to return it as I wonder if it might affect resale value some time in the future.  Also, I was told when searching for the rifle that the 257 is on Remington's production calendar again for the 4th quarter of this year but that they did not know at this time if they would actually make them.  I'd rather have a new one that didn't require this kind of fitting.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 17:55
I'd return it!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 18:11
well hopefully remy fixes you up for free
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 20:29
Flip it for a new one
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 20:41
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

Flip it for a new one

+1   It should have never made it out of quality control. Save yourself some headache and look forward to the new one comming in. Just don't plan on having it in time for the opener. Then if it does get to you in time all the better. Good luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 23:54
I'm returning it.  The dealer was accommodating, especially after seeing the pictures.  I'll have to wait for more production if I want one.  One thing all concerned appreciated was my immediate contact when a problem was detected.  If you have a problem pick up the phone as soon as possible. 

Just to be clear Remington was very helpful and would have fixed it no problem.  I just didn't want either a further modified bolt or a new bolt that required a possible barrel swap, receiver swap or chamber adjustment.  It all seemed to be too much work on a brand new rifle.  But I will buy Remingtons in the future.

Thanks for the help.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2008 at 23:56
Your dealer may be able to swap it for a new one from the wholesale warehouse. If it is Davidsons they give a lifetime replacement warranty.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2008 at 00:19
None of the distributors had them.  Maybe Remington will make some in the next couple of months?  It is listed on their calendar.  From what I gather the first production run was small but if they get enough inquiries I'd guess they'll do another run.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic