OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need Help on Scope Selection - Very Confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Help on Scope Selection - Very Confused
    Posted: September/11/2008 at 05:06

Hi Guys, thought i would put up this post as i am looking for a new scope and am really unsure of which way to go.

The scope will go on a Remington in .223 with a Madco 20" barrel and a 1:14 twist.  I will be using between 50 and 55 grain projectiles.

This rifle will double as my work gun (vermin destruction) and my wifes gun so i dont want to go too heavy.

I will be shooting up to 300 metres.

Quality of glass is key for me in this case and i am trying to keep an eye on the budget. Basically i would like bang for buck but like i said, glass is key.  I will be shooting in low light conditions and targeting anything from Rabbits to Roos. 

Thus far, these are the scopes i have identified as potentials:

1. Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50 Mildot
2. Nikon Monarch Gold 30mm 2.5-10x50 BDC
3. Bushnell Elite 6500 30mm 2.5-16x50 MilDot
4. Kahles Helia KX 4-12x50 MilDot
5. Leupold VXIII 3.5-10x50 30mm Ill B&C
6. Pentax Lightseeker 30 4-16x50 Bal Plex
7. Sightron SII Big Sky 3.5-10x50 Plex
8. Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44
9. Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accupoint

I know its extensive hence my confusion.

What is your choice and why?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Always learning
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 06:38

i would remove the leupold the nikon the pentax and go from there

glass wise whats left the 6500 the kx the sIII and the trijicon are all very good, so i would look at the trijicon and the 6500 first then look at the zeiss the sIII and kx after that
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 07:23
How much will your wife shoot it and how long are her arms?  I just picked up a
Zeiss 3-9X40 for my kid and its 4" of eye relief works better than other scopes with his shorter arms!  He doesn't have to crawl up the stock after he mounts the gun.  If she will only shoot it once and a great while, no biggie, but I still like that scope.  I also like the KX, but not sure its worth the extra $$ if you're on a budget.
take em!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 10:13
If you are only working at 300 meters max, why do you need the mildot or BDC?  The raise and fall will be within the palm of your hand with most zeros. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 10:25
I'd take the Zeiss but change the reticle choice. The Z-plex or if you really want a ranging type retilce get the Rapid Z-600. IMHO, I'd also remove the Kahles from the list. No offense to those who love Kahles but there's been a lot of unrest and rumors about the company lately.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 10:41
+1
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 11:18
Ok, Just to be different and save a little cash.....

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9082-1133-new-meopta-3-9x42-artemis-3000-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

and it's lighter than the Nikon.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 12:21
Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 w/4a?
Aimpoint 3x9x40w/4a?
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 14:12
Thanks for the replies fellas.

My wife wont shoot it all that much well not as much as i shoot anyway.

I am after a ranging reticle as a "just in case".  I dont want to limit my options down the track if i decide to put it on another rifle or rechamber or rebarrel the rifle and want to stretch its legs.

I am also looking for a 50 objective for light gathering due to the low light and spot light shooting i will be doing, sorry should have mentioned that.  I know the SIII only has a 44 and i am a bit reluctant on that one.

pyro6999 why do you say get rid of Nikon and Pentax? I thought they had good glass, I have never actually looked through a Nikon but from all accounts isnt the glass good quality?
Always learning
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 15:07
If you want a ranging reticle AND good low light performance, you probably should consider an illuminated reticle of some sort. 

Otherwise, if low light is more important than ranging reticle, consider Trijicon Accupont 2.5-10x56.  Another (and cheaper) good choice is Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 with 4a reticle and illuminated dot.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 15:42
Originally posted by Delta Delta wrote:

Thanks for the replies fellas.

My wife wont shoot it all that much well not as much as i shoot anyway.

I am after a ranging reticle as a "just in case".  I dont want to limit my options down the track if i decide to put it on another rifle or rechamber or rebarrel the rifle and want to stretch its legs.

I am also looking for a 50 objective for light gathering due to the low light and spot light shooting i will be doing, sorry should have mentioned that.  I know the SIII only has a 44 and i am a bit reluctant on that one.

pyro6999 why do you say get rid of Nikon and Pentax? I thought they had good glass, I have never actually looked through a Nikon but from all accounts isnt the glass good quality?
i was refuring to the quality as opposed to the other choices, those two i would put lower than most of your other choices, i own a few nikons and like them, but if i could afford better i wouldnt buy nikons
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Delta View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 15:51
Yeah i was considering the Bushy Elite.  I have looked through them and like the glass.

I know nothing about Trijicon and thought i would throw it in as the little i have heard indicate they are good quality.

Thanks pyro6999, like i said, i have never looked through the Nikon but heard some good things.  I have heard people say they have better glass than the Leupold VXIII.  I have looked through Pentax and am honestly not the biggest fan but a guy i know rates them so i thought it was worthy of consideration.

I have a Kahles on another rifle as well as a Zeiss Victory and am really happy with both especially the zeiss but i know the conquest line is not as good as the Victory line.
Always learning
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 15:55
if you compared your victory to any of the nikon golds you would laugh
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Delta51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:05
I think i have narrowed it down to the Zeiss Conquest or the Trijicon.

I have a question though, looking at the z600 ret, would that work well on a .223?

Looking at Zeiss website, the recommend the z600 for the .243 and up.
Delta51 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delta51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2008 at 21:06
By the way, Delta and Delta51 are both me sorry i couldnt remember my old details.

Mods, can you delete Delta51 and transfer everything to Delta?

Sorry for the trouble.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic