OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Strange Animal shot in Texas (Chupacabra)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Animal shot in Texas (Chupacabra)
    Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:35
Chupacabra? Strange Animal Found in Elmendorf

A rancher in Elmendorf, southeast of San Antonio, found a strange creature attacking his livestock, and local animal experts say identifying it is a tough call.  

Devin Macanally says he has lived on his ranch for 15 years and has never seen anything like it. 

"It was eating mulberrys under a tree," he said.  

It is a strange dog-looking creature with a blue color that he says began a killing spree. Devin first knew something was up when his chickens started disappearing. At one point, 35 were gone in just one day.  

Macanally finally shot and killed the creature, and he was blown away at what he saw.

"First thing that came to my mind, is surely everybody's gonna think this is a chupacabra," he laughed. "But it's so odd because it has no hair."  

At the nearby Deleon's Grocery and Market, customers come in to check out pictures of it. One woman says it is exactly how her grandmother described the dreaded chupacabra.

People at the San Antonio Zoo say they have not seen anything like it. Terry DeRosa with the zoo says at a feather-light 20 pounds.

Devin says he would like to know for sure. He says he is hoping someone can help identify it, possibly by DNA. 

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:30
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:38
Could It Be a Chupacabra?

By: Gabe Redondo

Tales of a mysterious animal have been spreading across Texas over the past few months.  

We had the "Elmendorf Beast" killed by a rancher in South Bexar County this summer. The blue skinned, hairless animal with large fangs made news around the world. Some say it's similar to the Chupacabra of Mexican folklore. And last week, we told you about the similar beast found dead near Lufkin, in East Texas.

Now we're hearing from a college student who saw the animal with his own eyes.

"It was amazing. Nothing like I have ever seen before," said College student Max Reynolds who found the mysterious animal and took pictures as proof.  

The animal is hairless with a long tail and very large teeth.  

The Chupacabra myth was born in Puerto Rico. It's supposed to be a large animal that stands on its two back feet. It reportedly has grayish skin, with spikes, and sucks the blood from its prey. People in Lufkin say the animal doesn't exactly match the myth, but it's still very unusual.  

"Nothing we've seen like that around here before, said Reynolds. Between a dog and a wolf, between a coyote a dog or a wolf."  

Reynolds did extensive research after finding the animal.  

"The tooth buds of a coyote will have teeth. This one had no teeth at the bottom, explained Reynolds. The size of the k-9s are enormous. The bottom ones were twisted."

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:31
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:40
Chupacabra? Exhuming the Elmendorf Beast

By: CyberBob

The mysterious creature killed in Elmendorf is creating curiosity among scientists all over the country. The rancher you saw first on WOAI is getting calls from as far away as Philadelphia. Researchers will now dig up the bizarre-looking beast in an attempt to identify what some are calling the famed Chupacabra.  

After more than thirty chickens were slaughtered in broad daylight, rancher Devin McAnally thought he'd lost a lot of sleep trying to catch the wild varmint that did it. But weeks after he shot the strange creature, he's still sleepless in South Texas. 

The curiosity's the main thing, explains McAnally. You know - what is this? 

Is it a mangy coyote? A Mexican hairless dog? A chupacabra? The fanged animal has no hair except for a short mane down its back.  

I resolved that I wouldn't refuse anybody, he said of people's attempts to solve the mystery. You know - that I would never know who might be of some assistance.

Since McAnally shot the strange creature a few weeks ago, he hasn't had anymore problems with his chickens, but he admits that a few people have asked if he's flown the coop. 

I might be one of them if I'd been seeing something else, maintains McAnally.

Instead of questioning his claims, a national foundation is testing the creature. The Communion Foundation is interested in all things unexplained. They will exhume McAnally's creature and send it out for DNA testing. 

We talked to the founder, Whitley Strieber.  

We've looked, and I must admit, in Mammals of the World and other authoritative sources and we have not seen anything that was readily identifiable as this creature, says Strieber.

And McAnally says if it is simply a mangy coyote, he's still not crazy. 

And if it is a disease so what? We still would need to know what it is, he said.  

The digging to collect the animal's remains begins Tuesday. It could take four to six weeks to get the DNA test results back from the lab.

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:34
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:41

Researchers Postpone Chupacabra Dig

The mystery remains: what is the bizarre Elmendorf Beast? It may take longer than expected to find out. Researchers put off their dig to exhume the strange animal for DNA testing, citing too much media attention.  

So now there's no word on when the researchers will make it out to Elmendorf to exhume the animal. McAnally tells WOAI that the time and date will not be announced, but the DNA test results will be released once they are available.  

He put in a couple of shovel digs and before I knew it, he had hit a bone, explained Vexler. And when I looked down, there was a pretty nice sized bone - maybe 4, 5, 6 inches long.

But Vexler didn't seem to think the animal's remains were in very good shape.  

The bones didn't seem to still be intact. In other words, in order, he said.  

There's no telling if anything but bones will be left when the animal is completely uncovered. But the rancher is considering storing the carcass in a deer locker until the researchers are ready to test it.

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:37
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:43
S.A. Zoo Weighs-In on Chupacabra Debate

Is it a Chupacabra or not? WOAI.com is getting answers about a bizarre animal shot in Elmendorf. 

Bones from a mystery animal shot by an Elmendorf rancher have been taken to an expert from the San Antonio Zoo. But can he tell what it is?  

Devin MacAnally shot the Elmendorph Beast after it ate dozens of his chickens. The animal has a blue-grey coloring, is almost hairless, has a short mane and large fangs. 

It's clearly a member of the dog family, a family candidate, explains Gramieri.  

Gramieri says he can't tell what type of canine, it has very weird teeth.  

For whatever reason, this animal had a very poor fusion in the front here, so it allowed that lower jaw to spread in a way that is not normal for any mammal, actually, Gramieri told WOAI.  

But what about the creature's color? A blue-grey hairless coat that's unlike any dog or coyote? 

It apparently had some very bad skin ailment, said Gramieri. And that skin ailment made it go bald except for the top of its body. 

So there's no Chubacabra endorsements from the San Antonio Zoo, but MacAnally continues to believe it's something extra special. He knows its one man's opinion versus his, so he'll wait for the DNA results due back in the next few weeks to find out exactly what it is. 

I want this one to be a new species - or at least something that somebody has never seen in a cross between two different ones, MacAnally said with a smile.  

MacAnally says in the past few weeks he's gotten calls from other people claiming to have seen similar creatures around their properties. That's possible, according to the Gramieri. Gramieri believes that there are more out there.

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:39
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:44
Another Chupacabra in East Texas?

By: Dale Blasingame

Is it a chupacabra? Another Texan claims he may have seen one.

Michael Rigsby from Nacogdoches sent News 4 WOAI these pictures, but he isn't sure what this animal is. It's tough to see through the fog, but the animal has a bushy tail. Rigsby tells News 4 the animal had canine-like features, but it doesn't look like a dog.

Comparing the animal to the beast found in Elmendorf, the Elmendorf version was hairless. The animal Rigsby found was hairy.

Another man in east Texas reported seeing a chupacabra-type animal near Lufkin a few weeks ago.

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 13:47
Another Texas Chupacabra?

LUFKIN, Texas -- Local animal experts are having a hard time identifying a strange looking animal killed in Angelina County on Friday -- an animal that looks eerily similar to the as yet unidentified "Elmendorf Beast" killed near San Antonio earlier this year.

Related Stories:  

"What is that?" are the first words out of anyone's mouth when shown photos of the animal, according to Stacy Womack.  

Womack -- who has more than 20 years experience working at Ellen Trout Zoo and for a local veterinarian -- said she's seen and handled a lot of different animals, but that she's never seen anything like this one.  

"It's not a dog," she said. "I'd bet my lottery ticket on that."  

The animal's blue-grey skin is almost hairless and appears to be covered with mange. A closer look at the animal's jaw line reveals a serious overbite and four huge canine teeth, and a long, rat-like tail curls behind the animal's emaciated frame.  

The animal was shot and killed shortly before noon Friday after crawling under her mother's house in Pollok. Womack said large dogs in the yard "went nuts" and alerted the family, but would only whine and wouldn't go under the house with the animal. Her brother shot the animal, tied a rope around it and dragged it out from under the house for a closer look, she said.  

Womack was called to take a photograph of the animal, and possibly help identify it, as well. A live animal, just like the one in the picture, darted across the road in front of her car while she was driving to the scene. 

When she arrived with her camera and expertise in tow, Womack said she almost couldn't believe what she was looking at.  

"It was so necrotic, its tissue was just rotted," Womack said. "It had no hair, a severe overbite and its claws were entirely too long for a dog." 

She said the animal's front legs were much smaller than it's hind legs, and that despite it's overall ghoulish appearance, it's extremely long canine teeth were in excellent condition. Also, despite having been shot, there was virtually no blood seeping from the animal's carcass. The animal's ear also "broke like a cookie" when it's head was held up for a photograph, she said  

"It's body looked like something that has been dead for a month or so," Womack said. "Like I said, I've worked in the veterinary field for more than 20 years and I've never seen anything that bad."  

The animal was male and weighed between 15 and 20 pounds, she said. The identical animal that sprinted across the road ran with it's head down and it's tail between it's legs, according to Womack, but wasn't tall enough to be a coyote or a wolf. She said the live animal is probably the dead one's mate.  

"I would just like to see somebody go out there and try to trap the other one," Womack said. "Because it's in misery, too, and what if it gets into the population?"  

Womack showed pictures of the animal to a Texas Parks and Wildlife game warden, who "totally freaked out" and called for a department biologist, she said. The biologist told her it was likely a coyote with mange, but wasn't able to match the animal's skull shape -- and overbite -- with pictures of coyotes in reference books, according to Womack.  

Pictures were also dropped off at the Texas Animal Health Commission, where the veterinarian was out of the office and hadn't contacted Womack as of Tuesday afternoon. She said a biologist was on the way to Pollok to collect a tissue sample of the animal, for DNA testing.  

"I just want people to be aware that things like this happen," Womack said. "If it's not the mange, it's something that doesn't need to be in the environment."  

Edited by Chris Farris - August/16/2008 at 14:44
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2004 at 14:52
Where is Mulder & Scully when you need them?
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 14:15
They are starting to show up more and more.

Coleman, Texas Chupacabra

Texas Chupacabra caught on tape by police dash cam (CNN)
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/16/2008 at 14:26
" Excuse me ladies and gentlemen while I have a cigarette..."

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 09:15
Cool... do ya think maybe this might open another hunting season in Texas, Chris?

Very wierd!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2008 at 19:20
I came across a really ratty looking grey fox a few days ago - thing must have been almost blind I got out of the patrol car and walked about  30 ft from it and it never knew I was there untill the police radio started chattering then it took off. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 11:36
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Cool... do ya think maybe this might open another hunting season in Texas, Chris?

Very wierd!

I hope so, I'd love to do a full body mount on one.*  I've already got a stand step up and I've been trying to bait them.

*My first sentence is in regards to taxidermy, so don't even think about it.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 11:53
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Very wierd!

I hope so, I'd love to do a full body mount on one.*  I've already got a stand step up and I've been trying to bait them.

*My first sentence is in regards to taxidermy, so don't even think about it.
Chris!!!!! How could you suggest we'd do something so horrid at your expense?????
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:40
Oh p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-lease.

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:43
Sad%20Pacer I am terribly distressed that you would think such a thing........Trust%20Me

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:45
Constipationalist??????
cyborg View%20Drop%20Down
Optics Jedi
Optics%20Jedi
Constipationalist

Online Status: Online
Post%20Options Post Options 
  Quote cyborg Quote  Post%20ReplyReply New%20Post:%20Direct%20Link%20To%20This%20Post Posted: Today at 13:43 - IP: 64.12.117.203
Sad%20Pacer I am terribly distressed that you would think such a thing........Trust%20Me

Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Take a Liberal out to the WOODSHED   
Cyborg
Laugh

Edited by cyborg - August/18/2008 at 12:46

Cyborg
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:54
ya'll aint right.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 12:58
Constipationalist??????

It's been like for at least a week.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/18/2008 at 13:00
I just noticed it about the time I seen mine was changed with spelling Bee champ. you wouldn't know anything about that now would you Chris?

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - August/18/2008 at 13:01
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic