OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for 300 mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offdutymgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for 300 mag
    Posted: September/08/2008 at 17:52
Loco   i just bought a 300 remm. l/h bolt  rifle. my ??? is    one area  i deer hunt from 20-50yrds. and the other area i elk hunt from 100-400yrds.  my ? is what would be the best type of scope and rings and mount for my gun  for this type of hunting i'm doin???? i lookin at the leupold vx-111  in boone&crckett  this is the type of recticle i'm lookin for any help would be greatly appp thx everyone
don ballard
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:08
I'm putting a 4.5 x 14 x 40mm VX-III LR  on my .300 wm.  I went with the varmint reticle.  I'd say you could do the same or go with a 3.5 x 10.  i don't think you'd be upset with either one.  The B&C reticle seems to be good as well, the Leupold wed site has a good video/download about their ballistic reticles.
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:25

You may want to include how much $$$ you wish to invest in your scope... I wouldn't wanna steer you towards a Leupold when you have a Swarovski budget.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:32
Welcome to Optics Talk, Gentlemen.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:41
Welcome, gents!

offdutymgr,
I would get the best 3-9X or 2.5-10X scope you can realistically afford.  For that matter, a good 1.5-6X scope will serve you well also.  You have many different mount options for the Remington (I'm assuming you're talking about a M700, is this correct?). 

If you tell us what your budget is for scope and mounts, we can help you narrow down your selection.  If it were me, I would go with a simpler plex, #4, etc style reticle and you'll be well served within the typical shot distances you'll be faced with 90% of the time while hunting.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:51
If you could afford it, this is where a z6 would really shine.

The Sample List currently has two new 2x12-50's, each with the 4a reticle. The 1.7x10-42 is gone.

Edited by mike650 - September/08/2008 at 18:58
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 19:46
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Welcome, gents!

offdutymgr,
I would get the best 3-9X or 2.5-10X scope you can realistically afford.  For that matter, a good 1.5-6X scope will serve you well also.  You have many different mount options for the Remington (I'm assuming you're talking about a M700, is this correct?). 

If you tell us what your budget is for scope and mounts, we can help you narrow down your selection.  If it were me, I would go with a simpler plex, #4, etc style reticle and you'll be well served within the typical shot distances you'll be faced with 90% of the time while hunting.
+1
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
offdutymgr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote offdutymgr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:22
my budget for scopes and mont is around 500-600 thx for all your help
don ballard
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 22:29
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 23:05
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 10:43
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9790-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

I second that!!  And the 4" of Eye Relief will come in handy with a .300 too!
take em!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 11:22
Originally posted by offdutymgr offdutymgr wrote:

Loco   i just bought a 300 remm. l/h bolt  rifle. my ??? is    one area  i deer hunt from 20-50yrds. and the other area i elk hunt from 100-400yrds.  my ? is what would be the best type of scope and rings and mount for my gun  for this type of hunting i'm doin???? i lookin at the leupold vx-111  in boone&crckett  this is the type of recticle i'm lookin for any help would be greatly appp thx everyone
........................Along with the 3x9`s and the 2.5x10`s and the 4.5x14`s, which would all work, I`d also consider the 2.5-8x36 VX3 for your M/700.

The 2.5x8 variable, is an excellent balance in magnification for shots, as you state, from 20-50 yards out to 400 yards and even beyond if needed. Is available with the B&C reticle too. The VX3 in this variable is also lighter with a lower sleeker looking profile. 

The 4200 and the Conquest are also excellent choices, although for the closer hunting ranges at less than 100 yards, I personally prefer the 2.5x on the low end. 
sholling View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sholling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 12:16
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-9790-259-zeiss-3-9x40-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

I second that!!  And the 4" of Eye Relief will come in handy with a .300 too!
My floor for eye relief on a 300WM is 3.5" with 4" being ideal.
NRA, SAF, & CRPA life member
Member Madison Society & Revolutionary War Veteran Association (Project Appleseed)

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. ;)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2008 at 17:07
offduty,
The scope suggestions Pyro and Martin have given you are excellent choices and hard to beat for your stated budget.  Thunbs%20Up
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic