OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

338 Lapua

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 338 Lapua
    Posted: September/08/2008 at 13:34
I've been mulling over getting something really long-range and 338Lapua caught my eye.  A brief look at who makes rifles chambered for 338Lapua revealed that unless I am willing to sell a kidney neither TRG-42 nor Accuracy International are in the cards.

The cheapest 338Lapua rifle I found is an AR-30. 

Does any here have any experience with it?

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 13:46
I don't have any personal experience with the 338 but I have a friend that bought one last year, he took it to the range and decided he disliked the recoil enough to sell it without ever hunting with it.  You might want to try 20 rounds through one before you buy it.

Duce  Smile
Duce
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 13:48

koskin,

Since SWFA is a sponsor of longrangehunting you should go over and check it out there. I have shot one and dealt with one a few time but I don't know enough about it to be a benefit to you, but I do know it is a great round and people at LRH have used it way more than I ever will.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 13:48
I am never planning to hunt with it.  This is purely for range shooting. 

Your friend was going to hunt with the AR-30??

ILya
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 13:55
no it was a 338Lapua build ona rem 700 action and yes he hunts with it.He shoots a 300gr smk. but all he shoots are way way way further than I would ever thing about shooting.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 14:08
I have shot a AR-30.  It shot pretty well, recoil with the break was nothing.  Very enjoyable to shoot.  The owner said it holds 1 MOA to beyond 1 mile.  He is an amazing shooter though.
They have a very thin barrel though and he says you can only shoot about 4 or 5 shots and you have to let it cool down to keep the good accuracy.
Check out the 700 P in .338 Lapua, you can find them on gun broker once and a while now.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 14:11
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 14:17
The one my friend had was a Remington bolt action, I think it was in the 8 to 9 lb range considerably lighter than the AR 30
Duce Smile
Duce
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 16:41
Get the Remmy, ILya if you can find one

Remington 700 338 Lapua Mag

Edited by Roy Finn - September/08/2008 at 16:42
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 17:02
There is a gunsmith on gunbroker who says he can build a ss8Lapu on a Remmy action for $1500.  Here is an ad:

"Custom built by Bijou Creek. This rifle is sold but I can build one the way you want it using a Remington 700 long action with M 16 style extractor, Fluted bolt, Skelotonized, and pinned bolt handle. Badger ordenance detachable mag using Accuracy International magazines if you hit the BUY IT NOW. hinged floor plate standard. Mike Rock stainless barrel. Holland Quick discharge muzzle brake. Jewell trigger set at 1-3lbs. H-S precision stock. This rifle is cabable of less than .133" groups at 100 yards with my NightForce 12-42x56mm scope and nightforce rings and bases. with hand loads (pic #4). With High power loads and the 14x scope pictured and talley aluminum rings I shot .5" group at 100 yards. 3 MONTH WAIT with mike rock barrel. This rifle was duracoated in a dark grey color your choice of color. www.bijoucreek.com mike@bijoucreek.com visa/mcard/amex"

Anyone heard of him?

ILya
Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 17:39
Is this the same one ?

Duce
Duce
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 17:45
Originally posted by Duce Duce wrote:

Is this the same one ?

Duce

Yep.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:00

talk to mikemcdonald about the .338lapua, im pretty sure he will share his story of it beating the holy hell out him and the hospital stay involved with shooting it.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:09
I remember that story.  If memory serves me right, it involved an 8lb 338 Lapua with no muzzlebreak.  Mine will have a muzzlebreak (despite my distaste of them, this caliber requires it) and I do not plan to make it very lightweight.  With the scope and all, I expect it to weigh quite a bit more than 8lbs (and knowing me, I will probably tie a brick or two to the stock while I am at itBig%20Smile).

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:13
better make it about a 10lb+ rifle then thats a big case with a big heavy bullet, its in that .338rum .338-.378wby class hurling a 250gr bullet at almost 3000fps your going to get recoil
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:17
I know.  Armalite AR-30, for example, weighs 12 pounds empty.  With a scope, base and rings appropriate for it, I will probably end up adding 4+ pounds.  A 16 pound rifle with a muzzlebreak is a lot more manageable. 

The only 338 Lapua I fired was based on the Remmy action.  I do not know the rest of the details, since I did not care at the time.  It had a muzzle break and while the kick was noticeable, it was not overwhelming at all.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:19
16# you should be fine youre big tough guy right?
im a recoil pussy ill admit it, since you wont be using it for hunting the break will be fine, and actually will be a necessity to accuracy
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:22
I am not sure if I qualify as a tough guy, but I am certainly no lightweight.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:26
you can handle it, if you cant try vodka first and afterwards!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:30
Good call, but I do not drink vodka.

Over the years I found that scotch is a much better painkiller.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic