OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need new scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need new scope
    Posted: September/06/2008 at 19:03
I am new to the site. I have been out of the shopping business and don't really know whats out there. I hunt in the Pocono Mountains in PA lots and lots of thick brush. I have a Remington 7600 with a Redfield scoop so, you know how long it's been for me.I am trying to keeo it around $250. Don't want to spend to much but, want something reliable. I have nothing against the Redfield, I like it but, you know when you get that itch. I am looking at new rifles as well but, that's another forum. I love my pump and it's good enough for these parts and right now just want to replace the scope.  Thanks
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 21:31
Leupold shotgun scope (lifetime warranty) with heavy duplex for the thick brush for 2 bills and under your budget.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3638-101-leupold-1-4x20-vx-i-shotgun-muzzleloader-scope.aspx

More suggestions are sure to come. Wink
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 22:12
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 22:30
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 22:58
Welcome to the OT
njsportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 08:39
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
good to go

The 7600 is a pump action rifle. Would this scope be ok on a rifle. Excuse my ignorance but, until a few years ago I never really hunted with a scope but, I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they used to be so, I went to a scope about 10 tears ago and now I am looking at binoculars as well maybe a range finder. I was never really good at depth perception or sense of distance but, always managed to compensate. Adjusting to age stinks. With all the stuff out today it's mind boggling. I was looking at binocs as I said and I forgot my name after about 10 minutes of searching LOL. This is how I got turned on to this forum looking on the internet for help understanding all the different types of binocs. Thanks for all your help.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 08:43
yeah that scope would be just fine for your pump gun, i assume its a 30-06 or a .270 and that scope will be the nicest scope you can buy for $250 hands down. i have one on top of my .264 win mag right now.

do you hunt in a tree stand or do you walk or what? if you hunt strictly thick brushy stuff with very short shots maybe a 1-4x scope would be a better choice, if you hunt clearings out of a stand then a 3x9 maybe a better choice

Edited by pyro6999 - September/07/2008 at 08:48
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 08:43
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Leupold shotgun scope (lifetime warranty) with heavy duplex for the thick brush for 2 bills and under your budget.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3638-101-leupold-1-4x20-vx-i-shotgun-muzzleloader-scope.aspx

More suggestions are sure to come. Wink

Sorry I quoted the wrong person before. can someone tell me how to edit or delete a post.

The 7600 is a pump action rifle. Would this scope be ok on a rifle. Excuse my ignorance but, until a few years ago I never really hunted with a scope but, I'm getting older and my eyes aren't what they used to be so, I went to a scope about 10 tears ago and now I am looking at binoculars as well maybe a range finder. I was never really good at depth perception or sense of distance but, always managed to compensate. Adjusting to age stinks. With all the stuff out today it's mind boggling. I was looking at binocs as I said and I forgot my name after about 10 minutes of searching LOL. This is how I got turned on to this forum looking on the internet for help understanding all the different types of binocs. Thanks for all your help.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 08:49
you wont be able to edit them until you make 50 posts i think?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 09:08
I am so sorry, me bad!! I saw pump and thought you were using a shot gun. Yes, it would work but Pyro6999's suggestion is probably better depending on the terrain you hunt. I saw thick brush in your post as well. 

Edited by mike650 - September/07/2008 at 10:04
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 09:08

Ok, and thanks for the advise.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2008 at 20:29
Originally posted by njsportsman njsportsman wrote:

Ok, and thanks for the advise.

I want the deer you have in your avatar... Taz LIKE deer.

Edited by Kickboxer - September/07/2008 at 20:30
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 11:11
What happened to my avatar? It's been changed to a cartoon hawk and not by me.
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 11:56
Welcome to OT sportsman. The Elite series Bushnell is a fine scope for the money. The Nikon Team Primos would be another good one for the money.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 15:53

do you hunt in a tree stand or do you walk or what? if you hunt strictly thick brushy stuff with very short shots maybe a 1-4x scope would be a better choice, if you hunt clearings out of a stand then a 3x9 maybe a better choice

I am in my stand at 5:30am and stay there until noon or so than I walk for most of the afternoon.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:20
pyro's pretty well hit on the head ... alot of thick brush ... you don't want much magnification at all .
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 18:36
Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

pyro's pretty well hit on the head ... alot of thick brush ... you don't want much magnification at all .

Wink

Yeah, njsportsman, your avatar changed again, I like the buck better!!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:22
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Originally posted by mercenary1947 mercenary1947 wrote:

Wink

Yeah, njsportsman, your avatar changed again, I like the buck better!!

I know but, I didn't change it. I tried to put it back but, keeps going back to the hawk. Can anyone help with this. Do I need to have 50 posts to have an avator. Don't know, i know ou need 50 posts to edit.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 20:25
hmm im not sure i dont think so, but i could be wrong
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic