OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Little help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little help
    Posted: September/06/2008 at 11:36

I am new to the forum and need some help buying a pair of binoculars. I am looking to spend around $100 maybe a little more. I bought a pair of I think they were tasco binoculars. They were cheap and were terrible for what I was doing. I hunt in the Pocono Mountains in PA. For you not fimiliar with the Pococnos. It's very thick brush and some open areas but mainly a lot of foliage and brush. I am looking for recomendations. I want them to be adaptable from the brightest day to the dimest of days. I know nothing about binocs or even if there is such a pair that can do what I want. What's roof, porro prism, this prism, that prism. I have been looking but, my heads spinning. I have seen a pair of Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme ATB Binoculars that look reasonable but, they look a little big. Help Please Thank You

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 12:51
Leupold Yosemite 6x30 or 8x30
Bushnell Legend (porro prism) 8x42
Pentax PCF WP II 8x42. 

Use your Tascos for a shotgunning target.  It should stand up to 2, maybe even 3 hits and will be the best use a Tasco has ever been put to.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 14:20
Stay with the Nikon Action Extreme 7x35mm, it is waterproof and fogproof, and will give you a....W---I---D---E....field of view, 9.3 degrees.

7x is good for the type of terrain you have described.

The 5mm exit pupil is also helpful for low light conditions.

Eye Relief is above average, at 17.3mm, just in case you wear eyeglasses.

The main thing is the very W I D E field of view that they offer.

Edited by Bird Watcher - September/06/2008 at 14:30
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2008 at 06:33
I would use the Yosemite 6x30. For that terrain, it's the best choice. Bright, sharp, wide angle, low power, large exit pupil makes it work after sunset. 
njsportsman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 14:30
Pretty much made up my mind on what I am getting. I found a pair of the Nikon action extreme 7x35 in a store around here just to hold them put them on etc... I did think they seemed a little bulky but, everything I hear about them is great. Is there anyone out there that hunts that has these binocs who can talk about them. For example do they get in the way when that time comes to pull the trigger etc... Theres a lot more that goes on when your hunting because you got to put them down get your gun that type of thing. I really like these for the money. I guess the bottom do they get in the way. Thanks
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 14:52
Recommend Vortex Crossfire 8 X 42.
5.5 ounces lighter
Fully multicoated
Best warrenty possible

Stock #DescriptionPrice
CFR4208 New Vortex 8x42 Crossfire Binocular                                                                                     New Vortex 8x42 Crossfire Binocular
  • Green
  • Roof Prism
  • Fully Multi-Coated
  • High-Density BaK-4
  • Waterproof
  • Fogproof
SWFA: $129.95
More Info... Buy Now
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 15:10
Originally posted by njsportsman njsportsman wrote:

I guess the bottom do they get in the way. Thanks

You can purchase a binocular harness for them.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 15:28
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

I guess the bottom do they get in the way. Thanks

You can purchase a binocular harness for them.

Is that different than the strap that comes with them. I also carry a backpack with me so the problem wouldn't be carrying them. I just see them getting in the way at times. Maybe not just fishing around before I purchase them. As I said I am 99% sure I am going to get those binocs. I haven't heard a bad thing about them.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 16:28
[QUOTE=njsportsman]
 Is that different than the strap that comes with them.
QUOTE]

Binocular Harness click here

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/20/2008 at 16:29
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 16:35
Also can someone help me with roof and porro prism. They tell me that roof is better for hunting because they are more rugged as well, they say to get a pair of roofs I will pay  at least double to get the same quality as the nikons that I bought.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2008 at 23:44

they say to get a pair of roofs I will pay  at least double to get the same quality as the nikons that I bought.

Probably closer to 3 times as much
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 07:04
I completely agree with bird watcher on this one.  Use the Nikon with bino harness and don't look back.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 08:09
 Thanks to all. It's a done deal I bought the Nikon's. I don't about the harness though. I think I will just carry them in my bacpack till I get to my treestand and then use the strap that they gave me. They should me ok in my back pack.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 09:20
Get the harness, they make all the difference in the world.  I would not even consider carrying binos without one after using one for the last 5 seasons.  It is the only way to go.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:06
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:38
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Get the harness, they make all the difference in the world.  I would not even consider carrying binos without one after using one for the last 5 seasons.  It is the only way to go.

I know you guys are the experts here and to be frank I am a novice at this and value all opinions and suggestions. Is there a problem with carrying them in a backpack? The reason I ask is I walk through some pretty think brush and the less I have to get caught on branches, make noise etc... the better. it looks to me that this harness would be great for open woods. I maybe wrong. If it's just comfort then I'll stick with the backpack but, if you guys are telling me that putting them in a backpack would be bad for the binocs then the harness it is. Again thanks to all for helping me through this because as I said I am a novice and value all the help in getting setup the right way.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:43
The harness is just the most comfortable way to carry them so they are immediately usable.  You will suffer no neck fatigue and they are tight against your body so they don't get caught on things as easy.  Nothing wrong with putting them in a backpack as long as you cover all the lenses or have them in a case.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:57
You know, I've been having at least a partial change of heart about harnesses lately.  The best one I have found is the Bino Manager from Innovative Products Inc.  In certaiin circumstances like when I'm going to be crawling around on my hands/knees, in "stable" temperatures, etc. it can be a real benefit and it is definitely better than the Crooked Horn product. 

However, for most of my daily binocular use and especially in conditions where the temperature may fluctuate from cold to hot and back again where I may need to add and/or remove layers throughout the day, I am finding the harness to be more of a nuisance than a benefit.  For  me, the standard neoprene neckstrap that came with my binocular has been proving more convenient.

I'm not getting rid of my harness by any means and it certainly does have its place.  It's just that its place is becomiing a lot more limited than I would have once  thought.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 10:58

The harness is the way to go IMHO. It keeps them from getting beat around in a bag. I have a very very cheap pair I use the harness on and would fight someone for the harness before I would them over the bino's. They don't cost much to get. You should give them a fair shot.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njsportsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2008 at 21:22
I will look into the harness and take it along with me and give it a go. If i don't like I'll simply put it in my bag. Can't wait until tomorrow I am going to the woods tomorrow just to get a feel with my new binocs. Not the area I'm going to hunt but very woody like where I am going to hunt. Thanks again I'll give a report sometime this weekend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic