OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope choice
    Posted: December/29/2004 at 21:44

after spending much time evaluating different scopes, features, etc.  I believe I've narrowed my choice down to a couple and would ask for any opinions.  This is going on an FAL which currently has an inexpensive Tasco varmit scope.  Based on shooting results I believe I may have a floating reticle and the scope does not seem to hold zero.

My shooting at this point is primarily from a bench at 100 yards as I'm doing improvements to the rifle and evaluating group sizes.  Therefore, I wanted something with a power around 10x or so.  However, I also use it to shoot the NRA Sporter rifle courses and have used it in some matches with distances from 30 yards to 250 yards.  Many of those shots are offhand or kneeling/sitting.    Based on the above, I felt that an adjustable objective was neccessary and size/weight is a consideration.

I've eliminated the Bushnell 3200 10x40 as it does not have an A/O.  I really liked the SS10x42 (maybe in the future on the soon to be purchased DPMS  LR308) but it was too large and heavy. 

Most shooting will be during mid-day light so the larger objective bells were not neccessary.  I really didn't want anythign over 42mm.  So my choices are down to

1.  Burris Compact 4-12x32 with Ballistic Plex and A/O - I really like Burris's explanation of tube adjustments on their website and how they have allegedly gone to great effort to assure that there is not a wandering zero.  I don't like the 1/8 click adjustment however.

2.  Burris Compact 3-9x32 with Plex and A/O - Again I like Burris's ability to hold zero.  I like the 4-12 better for the group size measurements and also like the ballistic plex on the 4-12.  However, the 3x9 offers better exit pupil numbers and 1/4 click adjustments.  This would probobly be my second choice however.

3.  Sightron SII 3-9 x 36 with A/O -  They seem to have a neat adjustment feature which enables them to hold zero well however I've seen both good and bad reviews.  The reticle is a simple crosshair and I do like the Ballistic Plex of the burris

4.  Leupold VXII 4-12x40 with A/O - It's a leupold so what can you say.  However, I don't see anything much on their website as to why they are better, other than the lenses and coating.   I'm more concerned at this point with holding zero, etc and both the Burris website and Sightron Website seem to offer more info why their respective brands are better.     

So what are your thoughts.  Any other recommendations?  I want to stay pretty much under 400.00 or so as I will also be ungrading rings, etc.

thanks for any help you might give

Brett

Grubbs View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grubbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2005 at 14:37
Leupold thinks they are better because they cost more than they should i guess. 
chazgreen View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chazgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2005 at 21:29
how about weaver classicV in 4x16x40??
chazgreen
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2005 at 22:53
I am guessing you are using a scope mount set up that replaces the dust cover and the gun is semi auto 308. Most of the difficulties I have found with a match grade FAL I shoot are eye relief. I settled on a 3X9 ballistic plex Burris because it could be mounted in front of the rear iron site but low enough so as not to have the iron peep block out the cross hair. If you are setting the scope high enough for the rear ocular to "lift" over the rear iron sight you will need a "riser" as you have probably found out. Beacuse the scope mount is a dust cover, even if you get the best DPMS bolt on, the scope will torgue in the mount. I don't believe that an AO is necessary because the gun itself is not capable of submin. of angle accuracy especially in combination with a non receiver mounted scope. However even with the 3X9 Burris I am using the gun will shoot 1X2" at 100 yards with handloads and New Zealand ball which places me in the I'm so happy I need a laxative catagory.

Edited by Dale Clifford
sks45 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2005 at 06:24

Hey Dale,

So what you are saying is that I'm wasting my time and should go ahead and buy the DPMS 308LR I've been drooling over, lol.   Not quite ready to give up yet.  Just trying to make it shoot as good as it is capable of.  My groups are showing huge variations and I'm trying to eliminate all possibilities for that.  The scope was one of those possibilities.  The A/O is neccessary as I don't want to introduce parallax as a new possibility.  The other day I was testing various groups (by length) of portugese and australian ammo and my best group was 1and 5/8 inches for 5 shots at 100 yards.  If you take out the flier then I had 4 shots in 3/4 inch.  However, I had other groups that were running 3 to 4 inches.  So I know what the rifle is capable of.  I just want to make it more consistant.  If it shot generally around 2 inch groups I would be extremely happy.  I realize it might be an exercize in futility. 

As far as scope recommendations, I've also thrown the Burris Short mag 4.5-14 x 32 with A/O into the mix.  Lighter than their compact model 4-12 but more expensive.  I actually had kind of settled on the 3x9 A/O because it was the lightest and shortest but I'm giving up the ballistic plex which I really wanted.  I guess I've got to make a decision today.  I've been holding off for any potential after christmas sales but none seem to be materializing. 

As far as your iron peep blocking out the crosshairs, etc. It sounds like your set up has the none folding metric sight.  I've got an L1a1 with the folding rear sight which is my backup only.  If I need it the scope has to come off so I don't really need to worry so much about clearance, etc.  However, I am concerned about the front site blocking the scope if I go too low.  I guess I'll have to see how that works out.  My mount at present is the Generation 3 (Leapers) from Tapco with Millet steel rings.  May upgrade the mount as well but not yet.  One thing at a time.

Chaz,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll check it out.

Have a good day guys

brett

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2005 at 23:05
No the gun is more than worth having. It is a question of tolerance stack. While your gun (or mine) may only shoot 2 inch groups it will do it for 100 straight rounds while the barrel is so hot the residual oil is steaming off and bolt guns have long gone by the way side. AO will not give you the relief from random statistical errors you are looking for. In fact, some of the errors will cancel themselves out causing your group size to be actually smaller in a large statistical sample without the AO. Beacause these type of guns are not capable of shooting a precision difference of 1/4 on demand (as a good bolt and handloads) you can never know with certainty if the error is in the gun, loads or shooter. This makes the ballistic plex lower mount, smaller bell, even more desirable because it increases the shot recovery time and puts it in a class bolts can never duplicate. Call it a long range supressive fire vehicle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic