OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vortex razor 8x42 or 8.5x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwighet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vortex razor 8x42 or 8.5x50
    Posted: September/04/2008 at 06:34
Hi there.

Im going to get myself a pair of vortex razors this weekend but i am undicided between the 8x42 or 8.5x50.
They will be used for deer stalking mainly first light and late evening..
Any suggestions would be appreciated..

Many thanks
Dwight
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 07:35
I use a Swarovski SLC 8x30 for that. The Razor 8x42, which i have examined closely, is of similar optical quality. I am certain that it will work very well for you. 
The 8.5x50 Razor, which i have not examined, is probably also a very good binocular. However, it is also larger and heavier. It should be slightly better in dim light. 
The question is: do you want a larger, heavier, and more expensive binocular that is slightly better in dim light, considering that a smaller, lighter, and less expensive one already does the job quite well?  It's like asking: do you want a 300 Magnum, if the 30-06 works just as well?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 10:06
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

The question is: do you want a larger, heavier, and more expensive binocular that is slightly better in dim light, considering that a smaller, lighter, and less expensive one already does the job quite well?  It's like asking: do you want a 300 Magnum, if the 30-06 works just as well?

+ 1.  I have the 8X42 Razor, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It's a great binocular in every respect.  I'm sure the 8.5X50 is fantastic, but I haven't seen it to compare with the 8X42.  I believe OT member Koshkin currently has the 8.5X50 and he used to have an 8X42, so he would be a great person to ask about this comparison.

Either way, the Razor series are terrific binoculars!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
dwighet View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwighet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 12:27
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

+ 1.  I have the 8X42 Razor, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It's a great binocular in every respect.  I'm sure the 8.5X50 is fantastic, but I haven't seen it to compare with the 8X42.  I believe OT member Koshkin currently has the 8.5X50 and he used to have an 8X42, so he would be a great person to ask about this comparison.

Either way, the Razor series are terrific binoculars!
Thanks  Dude. I sent Koshkin a pm..
Rgds
Dwight
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 13:13
I have a loaner 8x42 on the way and I will compare it to the 8.5x50 in low light.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2008 at 21:13
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have a loaner 8x42 on the way and I will compare it to the 8.5x50 in low light.

ILya

ILya, please let us know what you find after comparing the two, this will be interesting!!!  Thunbs%20Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic