OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tree stand vs. pop up blind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tree stand vs. pop up blind
    Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:03
hey guys - i'm going to be going deer hunting this november in tennessee, and i'm wondering what you guys think is the better setup: tree stand or one of those pop up blinds (the ones that are like tents).

obviously the pop up blinds are nice because they protect you from the elements. are there any big disadvantages about them? are there any major advantages of going with the tree stand?

basically i'm wondering which you'd recommend. any thoughts on that would be appreciated! thank you!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:17
is there a lot of brush in  the area where you hunt?? if so the tree stand will obviously help you there, if its all pine forest then the blind should be good to go,  one thing to think about is that when your up in a tree your likely to be above the deers normal line of site, where as a ground blind your at eye level with the deer
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:21
that's a good point about the terrain. now that i think about it, it's going to be down at my mom's place, and she lives in the the mountains with nothing but thick woodlands all around. that might make it a pretty easy choice ;)

thank you for the reply!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:23
your welcome, i know hunting here in minnesota is completly different than the hunting i use to do when i lived in wyoming, the brush here is to thick most of the time for a ground blind, unless you take the time to prepare a spot and clear the brush out, so the easy approach is a tree stand, in the mountains you could go either way
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:27
true...i have a few weeks off right now, so i might head down there and check out a spot, then take it from there. this will be my first time deer hunting so i'm pretty excited about it :)

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 09:37
Tree stands also help keep your scent away from a deer nose. In my opinion, I can fool deer eye's easier than his nose. In thick stuff, a stand can put you high enough to see much further as well.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 10:03
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Tree stands also help keep your scent away from a deer nose. In my opinion, I can fool deer eye's easier than his nose. In thick stuff, a stand can put you high enough to see much further as well.
thats certainly true, and it the best advantages of a tree stand, just dont fall asleep in it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 11:13
I use both. I also have a portable ground wrap.It has 7 poles that stake in the ground and a mesh net to brake up you with the back ground. I have taken game from all the ways mentioned abouve. The ground blinds need to be sprayed with sent control stuff where a climbing stand not so much. But like pyro siad it is all in how the woods are layed out. If you can see 300 yards I use a ground blind.If it is thick i will use a climing staind.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 12:11
I also have and swear by both. The terrain and application are the most important things when deciding which to use.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 12:38
i think you guys are right - i appreciate the advice.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 12:41
Jeff,
Just remember what ever you do scent control is key, and stay awake lol

Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 13:56
haha yeah i'll probably be too excited to fall asleep ;)
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 20:55
Hey Jeff, Thought I'd put 2cents in. My Mom lives in the NC mountains and I've hunted up there now and then. Hopefully you won't have heavy hunter traffic like it is at my Mom's. But you have a couple of options. If no one objects set a blind or a tree stand near a garden or small field for rainy day hunts. If you decide to head up into some hills back of your mom's place it is usually best to set up on the ground about 15 yds. below the ridge or hill top. That way you can cover the valley below and up the other side (provided you find a place with fair visibility). The other reason is deer will travel the ridge in the morning so they can catch the air thermal rising and also see well ahead. And in the evening they usually travel just off the ridge so they have better cover for movement. If you can find a oak grove or apple or percemin tree dropping be sure to check for heavy sign. If there is a cow pasture in you hunt area you might watch the salt lick now and then. Its been my experience that mountain hunting can be easier at times because food sources are not always as abundant as in the flat-lands.  A word of caution, If there is a heavy hunter population don't be suprised to see people where they don't belong. Some local hunters will always act like they own where ever they are standing. And try to be mindful of local kids who walk the hills poppin squirrels with a 22. They tend to shoot anything that looks out of place or odd. So don't be shy about lettin them know your there, cause they have likely already ruined you hunt. Other than that you will probably have a great time. I still look forward to hunting at Ma's when I can, inspite of dealing with all that I just mentioned. Cause I can usually count on filling a tag or two.  Good luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 23:03
Sgt.D brings up a very good point and one you will likely run into. The safety a tree stand brings to the equation is a great one. Nothing like sitting in a ground blind or at ground level when someone starts shooting close by that you didn't know was there. I have had it happen many times when I used to hunt on state land and on private land. This is especially true if you are hunting on farmland that is being worked by someone other than the landowner and when hunting season starts they just feel they also have the right to hunt the land as well. Often, the landowner does not want friction between themselves and the farmer who helps them pay the bills year round.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/31/2008 at 23:45
Hi, Jeff!  Besides the terrain and vegetation considerations mentioned, the other consideration is how often you change your setup location.  I use both pop-up ground blinds (Double Bull Archery) and tree stands, as well as permanent tower blinds and tripods.  All have their place and all have advantages and disadvantages.  I've found for bowhunting, it takes a pretty large pop-up blind for me to provide plenty of clearance for drawing the bow, aiming in any direction, and executing the shot without part of the blind interfering with the top limb of my bow.  My pop-up blind is borderline too restrictive for me to bowhunt in.  It's fine for rifle hunting though.  For bowhunting, I prefer either a good ladder stand, lock-on type stand, or tripod.  The advantage I find for the pop-up blind is portability and flexibility.  I can set it up in less than 5 minutes.  If I don't like my location, I can take it down and set it up somewhere else in less than 15 minutes.  If I'm hunting a new place, I can transport it with me and setup very quickly, and it's easy to transport on long trips.  In short, if you travel a lot to go hunting, it is much easier, lighter, quieter, and more convenient to carry with you than even the most compact tree stand.  The other advantage to a pop-up blind is that you don't have to be as still as long as you are quiet because most of these blinds completely conceals you. 

If you're planning to setup in a permanent or semi-permanent location and don't intend to move your stand much if at all, I think ladder stands, lock on tree stands, permanent elevated blinds, etc. are superior for all the reasons mentioned.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2008 at 17:52
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

...If no one objects set a blind or a tree stand near a garden or small field for rainy day hunts. If you decide to head up into some hills back of your mom's place it is usually best to set up on the ground about 15 yds. below the ridge or hill top. That way you can cover the valley below and up the other side (provided you find a place with fair visibility). The other reason is deer will travel the ridge in the morning so they can catch the air thermal rising and also see well ahead. And in the evening they usually travel just off the ridge so they have better cover for movement. If you can find a oak grove or apple or percemin tree dropping be sure to check for heavy sign. If there is a cow pasture in you hunt area you might watch the salt lick now and then.

thank you for that advice sgt. d! that sounds like a great strategy - i wouldn't have thought of it!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2008 at 17:56
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Nothing like sitting in a ground blind or at ground level when someone starts shooting close by that you didn't know was there.

very good point! i get the impression that everyone and their brother hunts down in the area where my mom lives. and even though i'll be on her property, you just never know if someone else will stray close.
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/01/2008 at 18:05
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Hi, Jeff!  Besides the terrain and vegetation considerations mentioned, the other consideration is how often you change your setup location.  I use both pop-up ground blinds (Double Bull Archery) and tree stands, as well as permanent tower blinds and tripods.  All have their place and all have advantages and disadvantages.  I've found for bowhunting, it takes a pretty large pop-up blind for me to provide plenty of clearance for drawing the bow, aiming in any direction, and executing the shot without part of the blind interfering with the top limb of my bow.  My pop-up blind is borderline too restrictive for me to bowhunt in.  It's fine for rifle hunting though.  For bowhunting, I prefer either a good ladder stand, lock-on type stand, or tripod.  The advantage I find for the pop-up blind is portability and flexibility.  I can set it up in less than 5 minutes.  If I don't like my location, I can take it down and set it up somewhere else in less than 15 minutes.  If I'm hunting a new place, I can transport it with me and setup very quickly, and it's easy to transport on long trips.  In short, if you travel a lot to go hunting, it is much easier, lighter, quieter, and more convenient to carry with you than even the most compact tree stand.  The other advantage to a pop-up blind is that you don't have to be as still as long as you are quiet because most of these blinds completely conceals you. 

If you're planning to setup in a permanent or semi-permanent location and don't intend to move your stand much if at all, I think ladder stands, lock on tree stands, permanent elevated blinds, etc. are superior for all the reasons mentioned.

thank you rifledude! and you are right - the more i consider all the different hunting situations, i am realizing that there is no single "perfect" solution. all have their advantages and disadvantages.

i'll let you guys know what i get!
Jeff H. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 10:44
Originally posted by Jeff H. Jeff H. wrote:

i'll let you guys know what i get!

ok guys, here's what i got - for better or for worse lol.

it's called the tree saddle. it's essentially a harness that forms its own seat. if it works the way it's supposed to, it looks like a very slick system. i read some reviews on it and all of them were very positive.

here's a link if anyone is interested in seeing how it works:

http://www.trophylineusa.com/

to get up into the tee i got the lone wolf climbing sticks (the kind that strap onto the tree). again, overwhelmingly positive reviews on these.

once i get the stuff and try it out, i'll give my impressions.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2008 at 10:58
Jeff let us know how it works out for you.

I have thought about getting a bunch of coamo netting and warp it around some trees 15 or so feet apart and putting a hammock right in the middle of it. i would be hid from everything and could hunt in comfort lol. I would probably sleep to much though.I have  a hard enough time staying awake in my box stainds.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic