OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Extended front base needed on Remington 700?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended front base needed on Remington 700?
    Posted: August/28/2008 at 19:02

Hey all!

I took the advice of you OT wizards and purchased an Elite 4200 3-9X to mount on my Remington 700 .270. Big%20Smile I was eyeing the fixed Talley lightweight mounts and wondered if you might know whether or not I'll need an extended front base or rear base to fit scope to rifle?

Thanks so much for your advice and help!

Paul
"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected." - Thoreau
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2008 at 20:32
Nope, you can mount the front reciever ring base so that the ring is either closer to the loading port or further away.
buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 11:10
Roy Finn,

Thank you! I've ordered the standard mounts. Can't wait to get it all together and go shooting! Yippee
"We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun. He is no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected." - Thoreau
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 11:56
Originally posted by buglemfar buglemfar wrote:

Roy Finn,

Thank you! I've ordered the standard mounts. Can't wait to get it all together and go shooting! Yippee

No%20Pics
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 16:00
This pic illustrates how you can mount the Talley LW to provide closer ring spacing. Yes I know the bolt is on the wrong side, however it is not my rifle.

buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 19:54
Roy Finn,

Thanks for the pics. I'll post some once mounwilson on mine. Found a used 700 ADL (older 1989 model) in .270 for $200 flat in a local classifieds paper. Smile A little banged up but I took it home provided some TLC and it looks great!! Action is awesome, at least in my mind! It was really nagging me for that 4200 Elite and I had to do it.

Good hunting!

Paul

buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 19:57
Sorry about the typo, not sure where the "mounRifleDude" came from but "mounwilson" is what I had in mind! :)

Best,

Paul
buglemfar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buglemfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 20:00

Wow, whats the deal with the programmed typographical bug?

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2008 at 21:21
Never use it. Just load the "ispell" program and be done with it. That 4200 is the best deal going right now, in my opinion.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic