OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

conquest for $420 or elite 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conquest for $420 or elite 4200
    Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:01
Hoping to get some input. I can buy a new zeiss 3.5x10 x44 for $420,or should i get a bushnell elite 4200, what would you guys do..  thanks in advance
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2008 at 23:31
If you have the extra money to spend buy the zeiss and if you can get it with one of the new Z600 or Z800 or Z1000 reticles then it is a very valuable system eaven though balistic reticles only work at the highest power.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 00:21
+1 Wes    Thunbs%20Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 06:43
As good as the 4200 is the Zeiss will make you go OOOH!!!!! Take the advice that you have been given. You will be very happy that you did. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 07:38
Another vote for the Conquest!
take em!
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 07:44
Zeiss is oh so nice!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 07:55
Zeiss
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 08:49
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

Zeiss is oh so nice!

A woman rotating her rear like your avatar is sooooo much nicer though !!!!   Gal
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 08:59
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

If you have the extra money to spend buy the zeiss and if you can get it with one of the new Z600 or Z800 or Z1000 reticles then it is a very valuable system eaven though balistic reticles only work at the highest power.

Excellent recommendation!! I had a chance to checkout one of new Zeiss rapid reticles while in Texas a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember if it was the z600 or z800 but I was very impressed, they did a great job designing the reticle and the optics is are a1.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 10:11
Originally posted by beachdog beachdog wrote:

I can buy a new zeiss 3.5x10 x44 for $420

At $420, steal might have been a better choice for a verb. (:))

Seriously, IMO, as compared to a 4200 elite, these Conquests are really in a different league. They aren't a world apart, but neither are most things.

I have compared my 3.5-10x,44 Conquests to several 4200 elites using what another member accurately described as a "look through the danged things test" on several occasions. Beyond that, a friend and I did a more extensive, though not very scientific, comparison of two 3.5-10x,44 Conquests to a 3-9x,40 4200 elite, which I detailed to some degree in a prior post. Basically, it was looking at black letters on red paper as light levels fell. If we define lens contrast as the ability to distinguish the boundary between two areas having a small difference in their illuminance, I found the Conquests to have better contrast in low light.

Stray light caused by reflections within a scope causes image fogging, a loss of shadow detail and color. Because my home is located in an inner city area, I compared the two for flare (veiling glare) by looking at brick and mortar seams in walls both near a setting sun and street lights as light levels fell. I can't quantify it, but I found the Conquest to substantially better.

Additionally, using the old "look through the danged things test," I found the Conquests to have better depth of field.

An optical coating's resistance to abrasion is something that doesn't necessarily impact optical performance, but is important to me. I don't know how the two compare, but it is an area that sometimes explains higher costs.

A Conquest's image isn't as scintillating as those produced by Kahles C, S&B, Swaro Z6 or Zeiss Diavari, and things like contrast, flare and depth of field might never be a problem for you. Ron Spomer, in a recent issue of a popuplar periodical about hunting, suggests that cheap is the way to go; I disagree. If the buck of a lifetime requires shooting into shadows very early or very late, a Conquest is more likely to allow a "bang for the buck," pun intended. (:))

Tom

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 15:05
 Gunshow75 - nicely done!
take em!
beachdog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 16:24

Thanks for the replys gang..    That was great info,and detail.I think this scope is last years model, with a plex reticle.What is the difference with the new z 600/800 reticles without doing a search myself ?.Besides that do you guys know of any other mods zeiss has made to this years model,over lasts..                thanks again   nick

seaswol View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaswol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2008 at 16:27
Not to hijack the topic since these two scopes are my considerations but how does a Monarch X 2.5 x 10-44 Nikoplex at $575 compare?
Thanks,
Chris
"To serve and protect my family and others..."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2008 at 14:35
Its probably close, but I haven't compared them head to head. 
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic